Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all im getting a DTS setup for my patrol and was wondering as to how much boost people have put through these turbos (mitsubishi TD05).
i have been told i can run 18psi but i bit wary of actually believing that....
cheers

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,550 Posts
I got one in my GQ. They are initially set up for about 9-10lb as mine is but MTQ have told me you wont get much more than 15lb reliably out of them.
Best to give em a ring yourself though.

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mate, i forgot you also had that kit, i will have to give mtq a call then, i was hoping to run around 14psi then once i intercool maybe up around the 20, but maybe change of turbo for that..... at what rpm does yours make full boost?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I started with a DTS kit on mine and we ran about 16psi and with the cooler got 104kw out of it... We stopped there as the standard pump was wound up fully and more boost was doing nothing.

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers mate....

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
I have the DTS kit also running the TD05 with gu air cleaner box 4 inch snorkel, put one of matts laminova coolers on and mine runs 115RWKW at 15psi with standard gq fuel pump and makes full boost before 2400rpm with MBC it starts boosting around 1300-1400 has 5psi at 1500 rpm. Is no point running the td05 over 15-18psi as the charge air from turbo will be alot hotter then a larger flowing turbo at the same boost and the performance wont increase to make any difference even with a cooler on. if you want bit boost you can get JPC turbo custom one they do or high flow a 2860 with 2876 front comp housing or even high flow the td05 either way you need more flow. Hope that helps

Cheers

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If i was to do it all again I would consider a modified TD05 from United Diesel in Perth.....

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
If i was to do it all again I would consider a modified TD05 from United Diesel in Perth.....
Have you setup the JPC custom yet?? i was wondering down the line towards them but there is so many options, JPC highflow exhaust housing modify steel cages and have a larger front housing and also highflowed the cost is around 2200 mark maybe more, or get disco potato highflowed with 2876 front housing similar to jpc but 600 cheaper or around the same money for the td05 from united, and speaking to them all they wont give you alot of information to compare them all so is just a stab in the dark. I know a guy in town running the modified td05 with 13mm pump running 150rwkw with 16-18psi boost at 2200rpm, i think the jpc is good for a higher boost application anything over 20psi whereas the other 2 are great for 15-25psi all depending on pump mods and egts.
Any info on your jpc setup would be great Marin, is hard to get good info

Cheers

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I am in Perth for another month, the turbo should be getting put on by a mate this coming week or so. I can't give any results for a while though, because we are getting close to Xmas not sure if there will be time to get any.

No place will give you their specs, but they will be able to give you figures etc. Matt is doing a buckload of testing and graphing on his personal GU as he gets time to in spare time at work with different turbo's, so keep an eye on that thread, somebody who remembers where it is please link to it?

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
I had one on my liberty @ 16psi it was 100,000ks old with no issues when I sold the car, I know of ones on subarus pushing around 20psi going strong and these are older turbos with over 100,000ks on them. they have a reputation in the Subaru world of being a very robust turbo

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Got one, stage 3. They do a lot of work to them on both turbine and compressor sides.
Running 20 psi reliably. 570nM 170kW.
Boost controller hose blew off and we did approx 20km in face conditions with it free-boosting over 35 psi. it survived but blew the guts out of my boost gauge.

Recently the exhaust flange separated under the car so I had about 4 feet of exhaust. Ran really nice then at 24 psi. Who'd have thought you'd see so much restriction from a three inch mandrel bent exhaust.

that thread youre talking about with all of the testing is in the GU section.

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awsome some really great info to be read here, glad i did go down the cheaper tdo5 option for now, but eventually i will get mark to either build or mod a gt28 for me. does anybody have any idea as to what it would roughly cost to have the td05 high flowed?

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not sure mate, would like to know myself, my turbo came in a DTS 1HZ kit..... i got it second hand, no cruiser for me thankyou very much.

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
I think it should say on the I'd plate on the compressor housing, should have td05 then either 16 or 20 after it I think. 20g has the bigger turbine wheel if.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
You need to generate enough hot exhaust gas to generate big boost, it could be any number of things limiting you to 17 psi. as I said, the stage three turbo has a fair bit of work done to both sides of it to help it flow more and spool up quicker.
My fuel pump has had a lot of work done, uses over 35 litres per 100km when you give it heaps. only makes the occasional puff of black smoke as boost is building, so all of that fuel is being burnt properly.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,679 Posts
Have been going back through some old threads and a bit off topic but whats the difference between rwkw, kw at the wheels, and kw at the flywheel?

·
Registered
nissan
170 Posts
Rwkw is just rear wheel killer wasps, kw at the wheels means killer wasps at all 4 wheels and flywheel kw means the amount of power the engine purely makes at the flywheel before getting used up by the drive line.

You'll also have hub kw and some other funky measurements over in nz. But it's as simple as that. Just definitions of where certain vehicles hp ratings are recorded from.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts