Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I recently purchased a 2002 3L diesel Patrol.

Since the day I bought it it has had very poor radio reception on the original Nissan unit.

The owners manual mentions 2 aerials - one being the normal mudguard mount and the other FM booster from a print on the rear window.

By following notes from the Members forum I removed the radio the other day and found 2 aerial wires - one which I assume is from the rear window which was plugged into the rear of the radio - it is a 2 pin plug and I assume it is the FM booster.

The other larger lead has a normal car aerial plug on it but it was just loose and not connected anywhere - there is no facility to plug it in to the radio as far as I can see.

I assumed that Nissan must make a 2 into 1 adaptor to link the 2 aerials ltogether but the guy in Nissan spare parts knows nothing about such a device.

Can anybody shed some light on this issue.

Thanks

Vic B

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Hi
I recently purchased a 2002 3L diesel Patrol.

Since the day I bought it it has had very poor radio reception on the original Nissan unit.

The owners manual mentions 2 aerials - one being the normal mudguard mount and the other FM booster from a print on the rear window.

By following notes from the Members forum I removed the radio the other day and found 2 aerial wires - one which I assume is from the rear window which was plugged into the rear of the radio - it is a 2 pin plug and I assume it is the FM booster.

The other larger lead has a normal car aerial plug on it but it was just loose and not connected anywhere - there is no facility to plug it in to the radio as far as I can see.

I assumed that Nissan must make a 2 into 1 adaptor to link the 2 aerials ltogether but the guy in Nissan spare parts knows nothing about such a device.

Can anybody shed some light on this issue.

Thanks

Vic B
It is known as a "diversity antenna" system. That lead with the 2 pin plug is the "2 into 1 adapter". Follow that lead back and over near the pax footwell you should find where that factory adapter "splits" off for both antenna's.

If you have the guard mounted whip antenna plug floating around behind the radio the either someone has been dicking around or if it's second hand the prev owner has had a different head unit in there and swapped it out when sold.

You can get "Diversity to Head Unit" Adapters for aftermarket H.U's but not sure if you can get something the other way around.

I would try plugging the Whip Antenna connector back into the existing wiring over near the footwell and it should work fine... the FM antenna element on the back window is crap for Aussie use so you ae correct in that is what is giving you poopo reception.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts