Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one made one of these instead of paying ridiculous amounts for a pre made one.
If so some details would be great fully appreciated or where did u get one at a great price. Don't really want to pay 175 for one.
Thanks
Daniel

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Yes you need the one with the brace behind the guard ( up behind your snorkel) as the cheap ones crack you're inner guards and fall out.

My car stopped once on the road to Mitchell plateau yes the battery fell onto my front tyre lol. Was like putting the brakes on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 2006 DX GU IV
21 Posts
Has any one made one of these instead of paying ridiculous amounts for a pre made one.
If so some details would be great fully appreciated or where did u get one at a great price. Don't really want to pay 175 for one.
Thanks
Daniel
I was looking for a battery tray last year and came across the same issue. Rediculous price for what is actually quite a light bit of steelwork.
I bought a 3m piece of steel angle for $10 and visited my father in law (he who has a MIG welder).
The initial setup sits primarily on the wheel guard, which is quite flimsy - it flexes.
Later I attached a couple of straps back to the side, which makes it very sturdy.
Other than the initial $10 and a can of paint, the rest was just labour. It did take a while because everthing had to be measured, tested, adjusted then welded.

A few pics are attached. This is without the extra straps.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
siraeryn, good that you have used a fairly wide angle on the top bracket. A strip of rubber will also help.

The only complaint I have about the ARB tray was that the narrow cross bracket ended up damaging the top of my first big Trojan battery causing it to leak.

So I made a much more supportive clamp and have used rubber under it to stop any movement.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking for a battery tray last year and came across the same issue. Rediculous price for what is actually quite a light bit of steelwork.
I bought a 3m piece of steel angle for $10 and visited my father in law (he who has a MIG welder).
The initial setup sits primarily on the wheel guard, which is quite flimsy - it flexes.
Later I attached a couple of straps back to the side, which makes it very sturdy.
Other than the initial $10 and a can of paint, the rest was just labour. It did take a while because everthing had to be measured, tested, adjusted then welded.

A few pics are attached. This is without the extra straps.

Cheers.
Hi mate
Are the bolt holes already in place and what doze are they. Also can u please post a photo of the strap set up.
Cheers
Daniel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just picked one up last night from ARB $126 which after looking at prices and what's around its a good price considering it also has the high side as a heat shield which i highly recommend after boiling a couple of batteries in my last patrol

09 GU Patrol standard

88 VX Sahara twin locked on 35's & lifted

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
Just picked one up last night from ARB $126 which after looking at prices and what's around its a good price considering it also has the high side as a heat shield which i highly recommend after boiling a couple of batteries in my last patrol

09 GU Patrol standard

88 VX Sahara twin locked on 35's & lifted
It will still boil. AGM in the cab is a much better way to go.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can someone post me a pic if the straps that run to the side walls do I can figure out how they fit round water reservoir. Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU iii
434 Posts
ARB ones are down to $120 I picked up one today.

Also Battery World has 15% off deep cycles at the moment :D so I got a solid cell at a boiler price.

Max, ARB lists 2 trays for GUs I'll let you know which one is for what after I work out if I got the correct one. I'm planning on moving the reservoir near the firewall with a longer hose too. I'll pop some pix when I do it.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 2006 DX GU IV
21 Posts
Hi mate
Are the bolt holes already in place and what doze are they. Also can u please post a photo of the strap set up.
Cheers
Daniel
The holes I used already had captured nuts. I used some M6x20mm high tensile bolts in them. I then trimmed them in the wheel arch and sprayed them with cold galv.

I made straps out of a strip of 20x2.5mm steel I found somewhere. At the front it was only able to fix to the centre of the tray (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get the nuts on). Both straps were fixed back to the brackets supporting the coolant reservoir. This was fairly light steel but rather sturdy due to the shape / moulding. Welds all looked OK from brackets to side of vehicle.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts