Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to move my dual battery under the drivers seat of my TD42 wagon because it was craming the engine bay with the turbo, and i want to no if anyone has done this and what battery they used? i want to run my winch and general accessories off it any help would be good

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
small enough to fit under the seat AND run a winch? jeeze you dont ask much....

is there a crossmember under it?
perhaps cut a hole in the floor and have a 4 inch deep box welded into the floor which the battery drops into. heavy rubber flap on top for when your seat springs short the terminals out after a big landing.
of course this might weaken your seat mounts. and you'd have to remove the seat to get the battery out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Check out one of those gel batteries that you can mount on it's side, one of them may fit if you're lucky. In any case you'll have to do something about the seat locking mechanism because the wire connecting rod runs diagonally across the middle of that space, and if you mount something in there you may not be able to slide the seat back and forwards.

It's not a problem, I replaced the rod with a cable routed out of the way using a small pulley, because I wanted to use the space under the seat for storage.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
I think I would be satisfied with it 'crammed' in the engine bay. Many are, with turbos.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
"perhaps cut a hole in the floor and have a 4 inch deep box welded into the floor which the battery drops into."

I have had this same idea, but instead of mounting it under the drivers seat. I would mount it under the rear seat for ease of access. Just flip up the rear seat and there's your battery.:punkrock:

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
Match as a starter it would work but to get a battery cabable of running. Winch and fitting ur almost going to have to reinvent batteries cause I don't know of anything that will sork

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Rear passenger footwell, or all the way in the back, or even in the rear passenger footwell but in front of the middle seat so that you can still have 2 rear passengers comfortably.

·
Registered
59 Posts
had mine under there, 2 x 33ah gel's. Never gave me enough for my waeco let alone a winch.

why do you want to run a winch off your second. I have always had mine off the crank. Others may correct my logic but...

Cranking battery deals with high amps out quickly and recharges quickly

Deep cycle deals with low amps out slowly and recharges at a slower rate

Your winch can pull a couple of hundred amps out while winching, not too good for a deep cycle

I only winch with the engine running locked at about 2000 rpm

Also depending on the winch, double or triple pull so as not to strain the winch and draw too much in one hit

anything from 30sec winch - 30 sec rest, to 30 sec winch 5 min rest with engine running so as not to kill the bat

B

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
from what i've heard from just sorting out my dual batteries. it is (maybe illegal) not a great idea to mount a battery in the cabbin. this can only be done it the vehicle doesn't charge the battery while driving as it lets off toxic gasses so im unsure on how you would actuall keep the battery charged in the first place. now, second problem is that batteries are corosive and will damage the inside of your car pretty quickly.
any ways, this is just what i have been told. im unable to confirm any of this 100%, but gives you something to think about.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for everyones input im still undecided, itwould be a completely sealed battery by the way..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts