Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday all im new to dual batterys so not realy sure how they work. I have just bought a 12000lb OX winch but only have the standard battery and the fella that i bought it off said i will need twin batterys to run it. so what do i get just a isolator and just run 2 batterys when winching or do i have to get some thing else?? I will be running the fridge only every now and then if that has to be taken into consideration.

cheers Sam

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
If you're going to do a lot of winching - fit dual starting batteries, rather than fitting a deep cycle as your second battery, as the winch will kill a deep cycle battery (they like to be discharged slowly).

If the winch is there 'just in case', make your second battery a deep cycle to run fridge and other accessories, and have it set up so that you can link the batteries when/if you run your starting battery down with the winch, to get your motor started again.

When winching, you want to use short duration pulls eg. 30 seconds, then run the motor for a minute or three, then winch for another 30 seconds. It gives the battery a breather and lets the winch cool down. It's worth fitting a battery monitor to ensure you don't completely drain your starting battery, although having the deep cycle there to link if needed will help there.

Where are you Sam? Derek Bestem in Brissy (aka ABR Sidewinder) is good with this stuff.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi cowboy, whether you use one or two batteries, both MUST BE cranking batteries, even if the second battery is only going to be use to jump start if you flatten or damage the main battery.

Again, whether you use one or two batteries, best practice when winching is to have your motor on high idle at all times, and winch for 60 seconds then rest for 90 seconds and repeat as many times as needed.

Another suggestion, if your going to the trouble of fitting a second battery, again make it another cranking battery and use it while cranking.

There are some major benefits to using two batteries while winching.

The obvious is that you have more battery capacity but what is not so obvious is that the additional battery capacity translates into higher operating voltage while winching.

Plus, because you spread the current draw over two batteries, you only draw half as much capacity during the 60 second winch operation and because your alternator can easily charge two batteries at the same time, you will replace close to double the used capacity during the 90 rest period, and this means by adding a second battery, you actually get a 4 fold improvement in winch set up.

Also, because your not going to ba as hard on the batteries, they tend to have longer life spans.

As far as using a cranking battery for powering your accessories, this is not a problem as long as you try not to discharge the battery below 50% SoC, a cranking battery will work just as well as a deep cycle battery and cranking batteries are cheaper.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
hey cowboy. i just fitted my dual battery system. im running two start batteies and run my fridge occasionally also. had my fridge on all night and no issues. i run a smart start isolator with an overide switch. had this same setup in my old van and ran my fridge for 4 days at a music festival, used my radio, charged my phone and started the car first go. i plan to get a winch in the near future (after tyres) and this is the way to go. IMO

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Hey Mate,

I've always run my winch off of just the one battery and now the battery is screwed. . . . I have to sit it on the charger every 3 or so months because it just lacks in it's ability to hold power now.

I always have the rpm up about 2000 whilst winching which helps, but it's certainly very beneficial to have Dual Batteries.

So i've installed dualies and am using an AUX battery which is almost exactly the same as my starter. . . Heap happy with the setup

I just have a Redarc Smart Solenoid, joined the batteries together and installed and override switch to switch to 24v whilst winching. Also installed 2 Volt Meters so I can monitor what the batteries are doing.

I also chucked a fuse box on the AUX battery just so i can run accessories if need be.

my batteries are both a CENTURY N70ZZ and a CENTURY N70 . . . . practically the same battery.

If you can afford it, and have the know how. . . . definately do it!

I can post pictures if you like.

TF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.