Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on converting my 06 patrol from a wagon to a dual cab. The reason for doing it is set the vehicle up better for touring including looking for a bit (not a lot) more space. I don't want to sacrifice 4wd ability of the vehicle, therefore not looking at doing a chassis extension. As part of setting up for touring, the intention would be to put an alloy canopy on the back.

However there are a couple of things that I'm seeking the advice from the collective wisdom of this forum on:

1. What size tray do you put on the back of a dual cab conversion without a chassis extension. Is it correct that while the tray makes it a bit longer, it does not impact departure angle due to it being higher.

2. Has anybody had any issues with legality or insurance with a conversion in Queensland. I spoke to somebody in Sydney yesterday about doing them and he reckoned you could not register the non-extended ones anymore due to weight distribution issues

3. The preferred set up for touring would be storing two spare tyres on the back of the canopy but concerned about having that much weight outside the back of it that far back. Will get the chassis strengthened at the time of doing it, but still very concerned

4. I have heard good things about Creative Conversions and are going to see some of their work next week. I have also been trying to get hold of Wide Bay Motor Bodies but they are not answering their phone. Are they any good and are they still in business?

5. Will I really gain much space by doing a dual cab conversion with a canopy?

6. Any thing else I should consider before being brave (stupid) enough to chop the back off?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Also try Mrf motor bodies at narangba 38889244

·
Registered
nissan
1,529 Posts
I looked long and hard at this and whilst there are benefits there are also a lot of drawbacks.

You gain more space up higher. But you loose the lower space between the wheel arches.
You have most dust issues (although if you going a full aluminium that may not be an issue compared to the canvas canopies)
Its easily over loaded and they seem to be prone to chassis cracking due to weight distribution.
Everything behind the back seats becomes bespoke.
Its not cheap! and resale they dont seem to hold their value that well from what Ive seen (I looked at buying one already done)

I've ended up going for a roof rack and trailer.
I do think there are benefits but there are a lot of cons as well.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I agree with above.

With a ute conversion I cant see how you get "more" space - up skys the limit, but you lose the floor space. You end up with a tiny ute tray about the size of the rear storage area.

You can get backyard jobs for $5k, or proper jobs for upto $18k.

Good to do if you have rolled it or have rusty rear gutters etc.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Agree with both above, have looked at it but damn it's hard to justify the cost, as truckster says you can get a cheap job, but it won't last and you won't get your money back, it becomes a buyers market item.

Have seen some really top notch jobs and ones I would love to get done but man you will pay for it and the resale issue compounds exponentially.

Recently saw of a GQ for sale in Sydney, somewhere at the moment.

Go the trailer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
x10 as above also the weight of the tray and canopy will put you close to your gvm so legally loading it will be impossable the body you cut off is light in conparison so you will be reducing your pay load

·
Registered
nissan
1,174 Posts
I have a canvas canopy on my single cab gu and have had no problems with dust. Just get one really well designed with flaps to pressurise the tray and you should be fine

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,149 Posts
I like the idea, and will be converting my GQ at some stage. I also have a dual cab Rodeo with a small tray and canopy on it. These are my thoughts.

Ease of packing stuff into a tray body/canopy compared to a wagon is chalk and cheese. Go away on a big trip and it is all too easy compared to a wagon.

Great for camping and fishing etc, as it is separate from the vehicle and easily hosed out.

A good body/canopy design will allow stuff to be stacked in any place you like. No need to worry about windows etc, and things can be stacked to the roof.

The tray on my Rodeo extends 500mm past the chassis rails. Never had any problems with this.

A removable body (plenty on the market to buy) will allow you to whip the camper off and just have a tray if this is what you need. Gain space and lose weight.

Under the tray/body is a good place for built in toolboxes, battery trays, water tanks etc. This all helps with storage as well.

A steel or ally body gives better security than vinyl or canvas.

Frasers Body Works at Pomona on the Sunshine Coast have done plenty of these conversions. The owner drives one himself. One of the best jobs I have seen compared to a couple of others.

Plenty of places will build bodies too, but Dale at Giblins Motor Bodies in Geebung is a good guy to talk too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your thoughts. I had just about convinced myself to do it, but now having second thoughts.

Was thinking of putting a draw under the tray to get some of the space lost by the cargo area floor being higher = more weight again.

Not particularly worried about resale value, have had the car for 5 years and expect will have for at least another 5 years.

Thanks for your input, will think about it a bit longer and also welcome any more comments.

Mark

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
When I had the Mav', I thought about cutting it down to a dual cab to make it better to offroad and damage less, particularly when I was competing in Tough Tracks.

When I took on the (previously family bus) GU as a project to be a 'capable tourer', I again thought about the dual cab conversion, but the small tray makes it impractical with nothing to be gained really.

BUT what DOES make it practical is extending the chassis 900mm and putting a 2100x1800 tray on it. With an aluminium tray with an alloy sheet roof and vinyl/canvas sides and a roof rack on both the car and the tray, there's HEAPS of room and ideal for desert touring with no trailer resquired for 5+ adults.

With a roof top tent and an Oz tent, there's more than enough room and supplies, particualrly if accompanied by another vehicle.

Cost is ALWAYS going to be an issue with me (and most of us!!), but sometime in the future when I can afford the $10k, I'll do it! Will make a great car even BETTER!

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
557 Posts
If the original vehicle was built with the dual cab ute configuration, I probably would have bought one, but the cost of conversion is just so much without much benefit.
If you go ahead with it, pay careful attention to the weight issues, as that seems to be one of the biggest problems that post conversion it weighs more than pre.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
I recently purchased a dual cab patrol with a extended chassis it is no rock crawler but believe it will still put to shame alot of hiluxs and navs You can't beat it for outback tourer mine came with full air suspension rear and a gvm upgrade to 3500kg it is the best truck so big and comfortable. After my big lap towing the van would love to put a 4-5inch lift and 35""tyres and then it would be a beast

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
I've just taken ownership of a 1999 gu 2.8turbo diesel and have found a bit of rust
Threw out the back of the wagon and have just taken it off the road duel cab chop and new 4.2td are happening as we speak I can't wait ill be having a 1.4x1.8 tray and a canvas canopy suits what I want. :) tuff tourer and the ease of storage whilst camping

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
I have to dissagree with a lot of the negatives that have been said above. I converted mine 10 years ago. I would of got rid of the car if I didn't make it a dual cab. Creative did mine and strengthened the chassis so no issues there.
I have a long 1500 long x 2000 wide tray (same room as most factory dual cabs) but still no worries about departure angle in most terrain. At least twice as much room for cargo and my car lost weight with the conversion(alloy tray) so no weight issue. Only negative is the tray overhang with the tow bar but that can be sorted but I havnt needed to yet. If you buy the right car at the right price like I did your resale wont get affected. And selling isn't in the agenda when chopping a patrol I dont think.

And the best thing . I dont have to tow anything because I can fit it in my car:)

Sent from my phone so spelling doesn't matter

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
149 Posts
I built a GQ dual cab myself about 2 years ago and absolutly loved it, the truck owed me in total 6k after everything and i sold it for 12k. I only sold the GQ because 1. it was pretty thursty being an RB30 turbo and the mrs couldnt drive it, 2. the mrs didnt find the GQ comfortable enough for travelling.
Best thing I have ever created I think, I may even do it to the GU one day.

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
I love my dual cab, would not go back to a wagon. Some say impractical?
If you like taking dogs to the beach or fishing the back of the wagon would be trashed in no time. My chassis hasn't been extended but my tray is 1500 long. Big enough for md to work out of plumbing!
I bought it chopped and it is a 3l which has failed but rather than buy a 4.2wagon I will do the gen 3 conversion. Most people who commented don't have one, I love it

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
195 Posts
Why doesnt Nissan bring out a dual cab to contest Toyotas new dual cab??

I've asked them a few times, at the dealership, on FB, by email and have never gotten a response... EVER....

Seems like they might have too now Tojo's taken the leap!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts