Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I didnt use any internal bracing, I just laminated the inside. The engineer was impressed with the job when he came for inspection today.
He just wanted me to weld in a brace between chassis rails when I make the sub tank mount.
I mounted mine on the caroliner so it couldnt move while welding.
It is actually straighter than it came from factory, it measured 3mm long on the passenger side but I trimmed that out when I chopped it.

· "Toxic Personality"
nissan
9,130 Posts
I didnt use any internal bracing, I just laminated the inside. The engineer was impressed with the job when he came for inspection today.
He just wanted me to weld in a brace between chassis rails when I make the sub tank mount.
I mounted mine on the caroliner so it couldnt move while welding.
It is actually straighter than it came from factory, it measured 3mm long on the passenger side but I trimmed that out when I chopped it.
ok cool! I’m not gonna worry about replacing my chassis now, I’ll just fix what’s there.... and build new chassis on next one.

I’ll have to cut my chassis and straighten it.... put new bracing on.... I got a PSR kit with the long arm rear, as I already had the long arms. Any reason you’re not going longarms?
also, I’m pretty sure my tail shaft is using standard f250 bits..... I can get details on carrier if you want.

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The engineer reckons the tailshaft will be fine as one piece.
The psr bracing doesnt line up with the curve of the chassis or the bolt holes for exhaust brackets etc, so beware you may need to do some mods if you have ocd.

· "Toxic Personality"
nissan
9,130 Posts
That’s interesting. Mine is stretched 650... have a 2 piece shaft. Be interesting if I could do away with the carrier bearing.... how much is a custom tail shaft? Iv never investigated the idea....

· Registered
1,600 Posts
That’s interesting. Mine is stretched 650... have a 2 piece shaft. Be interesting if I could do away with the carrier bearing.... how much is a custom tail shaft? Iv never investigated the idea....
I had one made for my GQ. I supplied the yoke and uni from the dmax gbox and the uni and flange from patrol diff. He made the shaft with 3.5" and I think 3mm wall. Was only made standard length (not for a stretched chassis)
Cost was around $300 a couple of years ago.

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The chassis made it back home, I am getting the body ready for painting this weekend so the chassis can have a rest for a week or so.

Attachments

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Made a wheeled trolley out of scrap metal to push the cab round.
Tomorrow arvo I will load it onto the truck and take it to a mates panel shop for painting.

Attachments

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ready for painting today.

Attachments

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Stone guard applied

Attachments

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
On bake

Attachments

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Back in the shed, ready to start assembly of a few bits and pieces. The sunroof will be the first thing to go back in.

Attachments

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Decided to call around about trays and canopies today. I like the Mits Alloy design and they have a size that will work so I gave them a call.
Turns out they wont sell me one to put on my dual cab cause they dont make them for dual cab Y61 patrols.
When I asked why it mattered what vehicle the tray and canopy was installed on I was told they couldn't warrant it for a vehicle it isn't designed for so they couldn't sell it to me.
I even explained that I will be making new chassis mounts so nothing has to be modified on the tray.
WTF

I guess I will call Norweld and see how I go.

· Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,446 Posts
I reckon if you are handy with a welder then making your own tray is a good option. From what I have seen, buying one is an expensive exercise. Canopies on the other hand I di not think were priced too bad.

I had a look at a nice Norweld tray at a show a couple of years ago. About $7500 from memory.

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I was playing with the idea of building my own but I realised that I could make more money by working for the 3 weeks it would take me to build.
The tray I built for my single cab took 4 weeks cause I was always coming up with extra stuff to add to it.

· Registered
Nissan
7,699 Posts
Decided to call around about trays and canopies today. I like the Mits Alloy design and they have a size that will work so I gave them a call.
Turns out they wont sell me one to put on my dual cab cause they dont make them for dual cab Y61 patrols.
When I asked why it mattered what vehicle the tray and canopy was installed on I was told they couldn't warrant it for a vehicle it isn't designed for so they couldn't sell it to me.
I even explained that I will be making new chassis mounts so nothing has to be modified on the tray.
WTF

I guess I will call Norweld and see how I go.
That does seem a bit odd ...

· Registered
Nissan
7,699 Posts
Liability. Gotta be careful, people will sue even if you tell them it maybe not suitable.

Sure.....

But there are ways around that. Like a letter stating that it's not suitable for a GU dual cab as it's not a factory option

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Its strange that they will fit them to Y62 and LC200 though not let anyone install on a Y61.

Anyone got any other tray/canopy recommendations?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts