Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Dual Cab Cummins Build

18K views 199 replies 17 participants last post by  nigel3780 
#1 ·
Last year I started another company withthe sole aim to use it to acquire a 4wd that could fit the missus and our new son and take us on some adventure.
I have been borrowing a mates new hilux to go hunting etc, I was thinking of buying a hilux but there is no room in the back seat.
Then I thought I would like a chopped y62 or 200 but didnt want to remortgage the house.
I decided to buy a y61 and either chop it myself or buy one already done.
I searched for about 8 months till I found one I liked and wasnt stupid expensive.
Its a 2007 CRD with leather, sunroof etc.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
Back in the shed, ready to start assembly of a few bits and pieces. The sunroof will be the first thing to go back in.

Attachments

#34 ·
Decided to call around about trays and canopies today. I like the Mits Alloy design and they have a size that will work so I gave them a call.
Turns out they wont sell me one to put on my dual cab cause they dont make them for dual cab Y61 patrols.
When I asked why it mattered what vehicle the tray and canopy was installed on I was told they couldn't warrant it for a vehicle it isn't designed for so they couldn't sell it to me.
I even explained that I will be making new chassis mounts so nothing has to be modified on the tray.
WTF

I guess I will call Norweld and see how I go.

#37 ·
Decided to call around about trays and canopies today. I like the Mits Alloy design and they have a size that will work so I gave them a call.
Turns out they wont sell me one to put on my dual cab cause they dont make them for dual cab Y61 patrols.
When I asked why it mattered what vehicle the tray and canopy was installed on I was told they couldn't warrant it for a vehicle it isn't designed for so they couldn't sell it to me.
I even explained that I will be making new chassis mounts so nothing has to be modified on the tray.
WTF

I guess I will call Norweld and see how I go.
That does seem a bit odd ...

#35 ·
I reckon if you are handy with a welder then making your own tray is a good option. From what I have seen, buying one is an expensive exercise. Canopies on the other hand I di not think were priced too bad.

I had a look at a nice Norweld tray at a show a couple of years ago. About $7500 from memory.

#36 ·
I was playing with the idea of building my own but I realised that I could make more money by working for the 3 weeks it would take me to build.
The tray I built for my single cab took 4 weeks cause I was always coming up with extra stuff to add to it.

#45 ·
Boss Aluminium In Bayswater Victoria do good work with quality materials. I have two of the tool boxes made of 3mm thick material. Most are only 1.6mm.

Something to consider....

#49 ·
Value for money it is hard to be prefab stuff like Triple M or Duratray etc. I bought a beat up second hand one and shortened it, but I was short of money for a new one.

I am too far away from you to know any local stuff to be of use. These guys do budget stuff, and for the price it is hard to beat. I have a removeable canopy, undertray tool boxes, and a crossdeck box and dog box - I switch them around as needed. No complaints form me, they are strong and well enough made. Not blingy like Norweld etc though.

Aluminium Ute Canopies - Ute Trays - Ute Toolboxes - MRT - Australia

#52 ·
I have had a chat with Bronco Built and it looks like they will be able to help me with a tray and canopy.

Today I cut the old mounts and stuff from chassis.

Attachments

#56 ·
The long range main and sub tanks showed up today so now I can mount the sub and then start making brake lines.
I will rip out the main, paint the chassis then mount that one too.

#59 ·
Started making up brake lines, then decided to mow lawns while it was sunny.
Young fella wanted to help so I adapted his pram to suit.
Now he doesnt have a pram but I tried to explain to his mum that he now has an e-pram that can also mow stuff.

Attachments

#61 ·
Havnt been doing much on the dual cab lately so today I installed the Marks 5th gear overdrive set.
I may get motivated tomorrow and do the 4 inch airbox install.

Attachments

#63 · (Edited)
Painted the rear chassis section where I cut off all bits I dont need. Then bolted up the fuel tank to get it out of the way.

Attachments