Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, My clutch I starting to go I think as the pedal is very soft now, it wont take up till the end of the pedal and it is slipping going up hill or when you accelerate quickly mainly in 3rd 4th and 5th. Have been getting prices on replacement and I am getting different opinions from "experts" on what to replace the flywheel with. It is a 01 3lt GU. What are your thoughts and/or experiences??

Cheers Olly

·
Registered
nissan
0 Posts
Hi guys, My clutch I starting to go I think as the pedal is very soft now, it wont take up till the end of the pedal and it is slipping going up hill or when you accelerate quickly mainly in 3rd 4th and 5th. Have been getting prices on replacement and I am getting different opinions from "experts" on what to replace the flywheel with. It is a 01 3lt GU. What are your thoughts and/or experiences??

Cheers Olly[/QU ive replaced mine to a solid flywheel and heavy duty clutch its fine but i get a loud vibration from it if i accelarate at low revs if im in a higher gear but its nothing to worry about it cost me 1800 for the kit i rekn myself its cheaper,better and stronger than a genuine nissan sytem:p

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I have a solid flywheel and a heavy duty clutch. I wish I had never done it, I now have vibrations when accelerating and take off is rubbish. But it was cheaper.

·
Registered
nissan
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your replies. It is now in getting fixed. New dual mass with heavy duty clutch.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
On this subject, I have a 4.2 TD DX with a clutch going, is the 4.2TD a solid or duel mass flywheel, I am hoping the former as I have priced new clutches on that thought. All replies appreciated.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
TD 4.2 = solid mass flywheel. Clutches mmmuuuucccchhh cheaper.
Thanks for that Two Up, had let that creeping little bugger called doubt sneak up on me and was dreading that what I had been told before was incorrect. Darn right they are cheaper, by a long way.

I will be flogging the DX straight after, but still want to set the buyer up well so was looking at a Safari HD kit, flywheel skim, and seals and spigot check / replacement if required.

Just had a mate agree to let me have his Safari kit cheap, he bought and never used, so is less than cost anyway.

So while it is apart figured the rest was a no brainer, hate to sell something I know is bit dodgy when all that is needed is a bit of elbow grease and a few dollars to make right.

Couple of other things I want to fix / clean up as well, gonna cost between 700 & 800 all up, but piece of mind and doing the right thing is higher on the agenda for me. I will recoup on the sale price anyway.

·
Registered
nissan
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep solid flywheel for the 4.2. Mine is all done now so hopefully should be good for another 10yrs or till 3lt geos bang anyway

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Dual mass cost more and will just **** itself in another 100k anyway. I'd rather live with a little bit of vibrations then have to regularly replace a dual mass at huge expense.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
I have a solid flywheel and a heavy duty clutch. I wish I had never done it, I now have vibrations when accelerating and take off is rubbish. But it was cheaper.
Me 3, hate it, and did it for the same (misguided) reasons....... No way in the world could I honestly recommend a solid for the 3L Troll, not on what has been my experience.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
i have a conversion for you my 3ltr 01 gu.....so i took it to an engineer and he welded it and balanced it he got me a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate and it was not vibrating the car at all like some people are saying anyway later that year it went booooom so i put a 350 chevy in it but i have the flywheel here very little use if you want it it cost me $700.00 for the clutch and $450 for the welding and balancing I'm asking $500.00 for the lot if you are interested gimme a bell on 0447284741 or if you know any1 that's looking for this as its no use to me any more cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
11 Posts
Hmmm I'm having the same problems as most of you had... Go solid or pay for the dual mass. As mine is my work car i need it back on the road asap! So not to much time to toss and turn.
My clutch only started slipping for the last 10km's home and i treated it gently as soon as i felt it go... So how much need is there to change the flywheel? How much damage can i have done? It was fine as far as i know 10 km's ago and now all of a sudden it needs to be changed. Has anyone done this before, keep the old one in place and did it last?

Any toughts much appriciated
Cheers Alan

·
Registered
82 Posts
HD clutch and solid flywheel

I regret having gone the solid flywheel route, basically you have a dm flywheel for a reason, the reciprocating mass and torque created from you diesel needs a dampner to take drivetrain harshness out of the vehicle.
Since putting it in, all sorts of bangs in the drive train show up, and the driving experience is even more truck like than before.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
11 Posts
Well for me it turned out to be a no brainer..... 2500$ fitted for a 4 terrain HD with Hd solid flywheel..!! Or Pay about 1800$ just for a new dual mass flywheel, then some 600 for same 4Terrain clutch and about 800 to have it fitted. All up 3200$.....
Had a look at the old flywheel and it looked r%ted!! Thats after 115.000 km's.... it'll take me less then 3 years to reach that!
So I got in the car ready for a heavy clutch (pedal)... but nothing like that, it felt very light as if they'd forgotten to put oil in the reservoir. The take up is more direct, not on off but like there's only 10mm between it. After driving it for a day (265km) I found that I didn't noticed it any more it was like normal. There's absolutely no vibrations or shudder or anything negative about it, it's mint!
So for any other doubters out there, I'm happy with the conversion to single mass
Mine is a '04 3.0 ST. And as it is right on the change over date (09/'04) the boys from Ultra tune In Rockingham had to return to whoever supplied the clutch 3 times before they had the right HD flywheel but i'm glad they did.

Cheers Alan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts