Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU DX 2008 ute 3.0L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have an 08 gu 3l crd dx ute, basically the clutch is gone and done some digging turns out it's the dual match.
My question is it worth changing to single mass clutch? Or replace with the dual ...

I'm keen to know if anyone has had problems doing and your experiences, I have been quotes $2300 installed that with a heavy duty clutch single kit

Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan Urvan / Caravan
227 Posts
Personally, I would stick with OEM Nissan clutch parts, especially if you have an extended warranty on the ute.

However, there are plenty with experience of single conversion, and OEM / non-OEM replacement on here.

If u opt for OEM, make sure you see the parts and packaging before fitting.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
408 Posts
hey mate,

in my opinion i think it just comes down to what you want out of it. I myself (with 2010 CRD) had car in for a warranty job where the box was removed, clutch had a bit left on there but not too much, ended up doing the clutch at the same time as i didnt have to pay for labour (covered with warranty).
i had a weekend to think about it, and after putting a single in my last 3.0L i didnt like the vibrations that much. as my car is still quite new, i opted for genuine nissan duel mass clutch. this provides a lot smoother drive in low rev driving. a lot of people will argue saying that if it vibrates you shouldnt be in that gear, thats BS because you dont shift down to 1st gear to go around a round-a-bout! haha. the duel mass doesnt have the longevity that the singles do, but do have a smoother drive.
but if you go a single fly, you wont have to replace flywheel on your next clutch so reduces the cost a lot. also they are a lot tougher and will last a lot longer, they just have that low rev vibration.

i know this is a rant, but when i was doing the same research, i was looking for peoples opinions and experiences so thought i would share mine. best of luck mate! make money to spend money! ha

·
Registered
nissan patrol
408 Posts
Personally, I would stick with OEM Nissan clutch parts, especially if you have an extended warranty on the ute.

However, there are plenty with experience of single conversion, and OEM / non-OEM replacement on here.

If u opt for OEM, make sure you see the parts and packaging before fitting.
agree with this. as my above post states i went with oem duel, they fitted an aftermarket duel first, i had issues and had to take it back for them to put a REAL oem clutch in! get part numbers etc off them

·
Livin' the Dream
nissan patrol
127 Posts
100% agree with these guys, stay with the OEM Duel Mass. If you don't then you need to be prepared to put up with a possible increase in cabin noise and vibration through the gearbox at certain rpm's. In saying that, you will need to accept that you will need to replace it in another 120 - 140k.

·
Registered
Nissan Urvan / Caravan
227 Posts
100% agree with these guys, stay with the OEM Duel Mass. If you don't then you need to be prepared to put up with a possible increase in cabin noise and vibration through the gearbox at certain rpm's. In saying that, you will need to accept that you will need to replace it in another 120 - 140k.
Hope you are wrong about the clutch durability. My van is approaching this range.

I recently had a sudden gear changing problem, after having the gearbox oil replaced by the dealer. They immediately blamed it on the clutch, and were ready to supply and fit a new one, at my expense.

On perusal of the account, I found they had used a GL5 oil instead of GL4. After replacing the oil three more times over a month, I now have a great gearchange back again, without buying a new clutch.

A number of my relatives are in the car trade in the UK. They are amazed at what Australians (and Kiwis too), do to their vehicles in terms of loads and working environment, and what they don't do in terms of preventative maintenance, and in many cases when they do, buy cheap oils, copy parts, etc.

With my race car, I change the engine and gearbox oil, and coolant, and bleed the brakes until clean fluid, after every round. For my van, I change the engine oil and filter after every race round too, as it's towing for a round trip of over 500km.

At 90kmph in 5th, my engine oil is going through the engine at least twice a minute. Similar for coolant. Hard work in anyone's language.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts