1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dual reading voltmeter, 10-32 volt compatable

This is a repost from the big crash.

My Safaris are 24 volt, two 12 volt batteries in series. If one battery voltage becomes unbalanced both batteries can be damaged so I am always checking the resting voltages whenever I have the hood up (oil changes etc.) Even if one relies on the factory gauge it will not tell you if there is a small imbalance leading to a big imbalance (i.e. 11.8+12.8 will show about 24). The following gauge I installed reads the voltage at the post of the left hand battery on one line and the total system voltage on the other line. This configuration gives me direct reading for battery state during accessory, glow, cranking, warm up,chargeing after start and system running voltage. To get the voltage of the right hand battery I simply subtract the left. The gauge is only activated when ignition is in accessory so there is no battery drain when key is off and you can monitor battery state in accessory.

Installation of the voltmeter consists of removing the factory clock, cutting a PVC pipe fitting on an angle and cutting a piece of sheet metal to hold it all together. Basically what I had laying around.

Note it is better to angle the gauge up as much as possible otherwise the verticle view angle suffers. The horizontal view angle is very good both sides.

I bought the gauge from RGB Electronics (Australia) >> LCD volt meter >> Model No : PMV+V and they have an ebay store http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dual-Battery-mon.../350421370143?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item5196bdc51f

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
622 Posts
What would be the benefit to this gauge 12 / 24 vs. a gauge that will read out both batteries individually ie. 12.4 / 12.4 ?

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
I have done similar with a single digital gauge in my old 60 series only used an on/off/on switch, that way can check either battery as required.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would be the benefit to this gauge 12 / 24 vs. a gauge that will read out both batteries individually ie. 12.4 / 12.4 ?
The benefit is I can run the voltmeter off ships power. No converter relays. Wired straight in. You can connect it so it shows left and right battery voltage, then using ships power to operate the backlight.

Forgot to mention the voltmeter only becomes powered when both voltage sources are live. I have connected the 24 volt feed to the ciggy lighter thus the voltmeter is only switched on when the ignition is turned to accessory/run/start. Again, no extra switches/relays.

Morning :coffee:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts