Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to tell ya all. I know where we are going, and, it ain't pretty.

Look at it like a train, we are all on it. Because of my seniority I am up near the front. That means that I can see the destination more clearly than those sitting further back in the carriages.

I see old sick people, falling by the wayside. They are weak and lame and beset by all manner of ailments. It's sad.

But...there is a message of hope. Given by an old bloke (George Burns...lived to be about 200. He said: 'If i'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.')

So Dudes, start taking care of yourselves right now. Eat proper food, only drink good booze and get plenty of sleep. Stay away from doctors who only want to poison you with drugs...and stay away from hospitals (people die there.)

I'm posting this advice as a social service. Pure altruisim. I expect no reward other than public acclaim.

Start now! Get heaps of multi-vitamins and Beta Glucan (only available from USA)

And, stop pulling yourselves...or you'll go blind!

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Are you bored again Estcove? lol

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Dear Dr Estcove,

So years of alcohol abuse and putting up with total idiots,would increase my life span ???
The government forcing us to work longer till retirement age,will that ensure longivity in my life ???
What about havin relations who own toymotas,will this effect me in anyway ???
Would it help my longivity in life IF the neighbour finds out his wife was mine one night ???

Help me Doc

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm one of the lucky ones. Never been hospitalised or sick and haven't had a cold for years.
I don't use any drugs (except smokes and booze) and I am 'in excellent health and condition' according to my last check-up.

I have a friend who is a local GP and he keeps me up-to-date with the medical scene...we are both shooters. He is the source of much of my info on health matters.

But I do have a number of aging friends about my own vintage and I see them having numerous health problems. In particular diabetes. I know four people who have this illness and there are one or two common factors among them. They all overeat and are fat. They don't walk anywhere, and I swear if they could drive through the supermarket they would. Not only that, they eat rubbish food too, McMuck etc. Interestingly none of them has ever smoked and only one is a drinker.
They have a battery of pills and medications, and various instruments to measure this and that. Sugar and BP etc.

When I retired, a long time ago, I was 96kg...today I'm 76kg. Took me a while to get the beef off but finally worked out the solution...eat less. Not only that but walk more. Even little bits work, like parking further away from the shops and hoofing it...even if it's just a five minute walk it helps.

Apart from being lucky in my genes there is another factor. Vitamins and Minerals. I take these every day and have done so for years. I know it helps.

For most of us there are occasions where we discover a book or some other information source that rings a bell. This has happened to me a couple of times. The first one I recall was "Think And Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill...but more of that some other time.

In this instance, concerning health, the book that anchored me to vitamins and minerals was 'The New Nutrition' by Dr. Michael Colgan. He heads The Colgan Institute in America. He is a scientist and his work is very thorough with detailed referencing.

I won't rabbit on much longer. I had breakfast this morning: one slice of organic toast with tuna, I slice of 'old bitey' cheese and tomatoes grilled on top. That's all I'll eat 'til dinnertime (about 6pm).
I will of course start my food replacement programme (beer) at about 4pm.

Enjoy your day dudes (heh heh...love 'Dudes' it amuses me, dunno why.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
not enough energy in a slice of toast, dolphin ,cheese and tomato to see me through a working day.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
In particular diabetes. I know four people who have this illness and there are one or two common factors among them. They all overeat and are fat. They don't walk anywhere, and I swear if they could drive through the supermarket they would. Not only that, they eat rubbish food too, McMuck etc. Interestingly none of them has ever smoked and only one is a drinker.
They have a battery of pills and medications, and various instruments to measure this and that. Sugar and BP etc..
You are indeed one of the very lucky few Estcove and you should count yourself lucky. Unfortunately, not all are. I have diabetes, I am not overweight (never have been), I am fit (always have been), I surf, dive and fish all the time and if I started counting up the flights of stairs I climb every day on an oil rig I would give you a heart attack just thinking about it. I don’t drink (docs orders for my liver problem) and have never smoked.

I have a degenerative liver disease that was diagnosed not long after birth that will end up killing me unless I survive a liver transplant in the not too distant future. I also have genetic disorder that means I can’t shed iron from my blood and I have to have blood taken 4 times a year to keep the levels down.

So, unfortunately, not all are as lucky as you and you don’t have to be fat and lazy to get diabetes (though I will definitely contribute). I woke up in hospital after being hit by a drunk driver running a red light in Houston when I lived there and low and behold, I have been diabetic since. It is the luck of the draw, something anyone can get, fat, skinny, old young. Just one traumatic experience can bring it on.

I know guys who I played football with, kept fit and active for long after their footy careers ended, but still popped their clogs in their forties. Yes, we should all maintain a healthy life style, eat well and get plenty of exercise as it will help you enjoy the life you are living at that time, but it does not garretee a damn thing in the long run.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are right Drillerboy...there are no guarantees. It helps if you have a positive attitude... you have, and some guts too. Hope all goes well.

Unfortunately conventional medicine doesn't have all the answers.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Conventional medicine doesnt have all the answers , thats well an understatement

My mother in law was working full time in her mid 60s
She had a chest pain and was rushed to hospital
Her heart rate was 18% (clinically dead)
But she was still working , only the pain in the chest why she sought medical attention
She was an independant woman , lived alone for 20 odd years
Doctors told her she will never drive again and to hand her licenece in
Try telling an independant woman she cant do things
She moved in with us for a few years
She slowly got back behind the wheel,drivin around the paddocks
She now has her independant lifestyle back
Drives everywhere by herself
She is now mid 70s and still drives
So doctors dont have all the answers

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
My grandmother passed away recently at age 97, she lived in a unit on the GC by herself for nearly 30 years. The doc'd told her years ago, she had a bad heart and would need surgery, no way, glaucoma, I can see. She was very independant. When my father bought her a wheelchair so he could take her shopping she told me it was for my father to sit in as he was always slowing her down. She learned to drive when she was in her mid sixties, one thing we learnt with my nana was never tell her she couldn't do something because she would prove you wrong everytime. She had a fantastic life and as her cardiologist said "I have no idea how her heart is still beating", that was 12 months ago. Just after her 97th birthday, late feb, she decided, nobody else, it was time to go see Pop. She passed away in her sleep in hospital. I was lucky enough to see her before she went. Out of all of this I have learnt 2 things, don't piss off Nana and tell her she can't, cause she will bloody well do it anyway and secondly, don't let life and these diseases beat you. Live Life to the fullest. I hope that I have her guts to push through life like she did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts