Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

601 - 620 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
671 Posts
What’s the difference in the “seat of the pants” feeling between the high torque Duramax and the high horsepower LSA ? What’s more enjoyable to drive ?

·
Registered
Nissan
7,113 Posts
What’s the difference in the “seat of the pants” feeling between the high torque Duramax and the high horsepower LSA ? What’s more enjoyable to drive ?
Well if it was me I would LSA any day lol.

But interested to hear in the difference

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
313 Posts
I can only comment on the Duramax... it feels just as fast fully loaded as it does empty. Wet roads out gravel can be a challenge. The torque turns anything to wheel spin fairly easily.
Once you start getting some speed, it just continues to haul arse. Mine is slower off the mark than a LS1 commo but I out run it over about 80.
Towing on the open road is easy. Set the cruise and it holds within 1km/h up and down hills fully loaded. Makes it easy to chew up big km.

I don’t know what the LSA ones are like to drive, but the Duramax twists the chassis pretty hard under full noise. With 3” lift and softish springs, you do need to steer to correct for suspension geometry changes under full noise. That’s with sway bars installed. Don’t even ask about it without swaybars.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 ·
i would say the LSA is more enjoyable to drive.. its instant power just wins it for me. the duramax like DJ said is a bit slow off the line but 100kph plus they haul arse big time. towing too they do it effortlessly. doesnt matter whats on the back.
i havent towed or been off road with the LSA yet but the instant power will be fun off road. no turbo lag issues there! i am averaging mid teens in mileage. i am sure off road this will be mid 20's if not higher.
Like DJ said also you have to counter steer with the duramax from the torque but its nearly worse with the LSA because its instant; instantly pointing in the wrong direction where as the duramax comes on and the boost goes up so extra second or 2 help prepare you lol.
in essence the duramax surges you forward endlessly. the LSA trys to snap yr neck the instance you stab the throttle, but can be driven like an old volvo driver on a sunday no worries.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 ·
happy new year gentlemen! all still going good with the patrol. got my manual shifting working properly now so i can select any gear. i couldnt some time ago and nearly cooked the trans and smoked the brakes while offroading. have to have engine braking! just some small improvements. i fitted a Holley fuel mat in the tank as its a long range tank and it bad for fuel surging even with 1/4 of a tank and only gets worse the less there is. this mat should fix that and allow me to use every drop left in the tank. it also acts as a primary filter. sorry diesel guys, its not compatible with diesel. the other small thing was replacing the aerial. that wasnt too bad but it still didnt go up and down. many hours of head scratching we figured out the loom and what the aerial wanted for it to work and it works properly now and the Polarise radio unit sounds and works even better now. just some driving lights are needed and thats all i can think of.

p.s i am averaging 17/100 driving to and from work. the GU4.5 manual which runs on 33's and would be 400kg lighter gets the same.

just to keep you entertained i found an old clip of when it was dmaxed. some where around Little River in Vic. after some morning rain. the boggers had their work cut out for them.

i think this is a great clip to make you release why LSA all the way! lol Pop in D and pedal it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
Gday. Just a tiny update.
Since ADC managed to loose so much stuff (including the driving lights) it was time to get some. I looked high and low. Looked at light bars and spotties, and finally decided on the Rouge 8.5 from Supernova.
50/50 spread/spot. And DRL.

Just a couple of small things too. Replaced a lost inner guard (ADC lost) adjusted their wheel bearings, adjusted steering dampener as it was hitting the drag link and threw the subbie box back in.
Next job during Easter will be checking out both left doors as they have troubles locking more often than not.
Otherwise going great and loving the cheap fuel atm. she has become a daily driver now.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
Car looks mint! Making me jealous being on here with no patrol (YET) still saving for one tho.
this is for sale :)
shes a trusty weapon. driven hard but looked after as you can see in the thread.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 · (Edited)
Had a bit of time off over Easter and couldn’t go anywhere so a couple of long time outstanding jobs on the patrol to do.
First one was bonnet insulation. A little bit of trimming and stick it on. Gees it was sticky ! One chance only !

Works incredibly. After a long drive the bonnet is stone cold.

Next was just a bit of decoration. Color coded engine cover just to make things look neat.

It took quite a few hours to make the buggar fit as the alternator doesn’t normally sit there and a lot of hoses routed differently to factory.
Can also see the cutout of insulation from the bonnet scoop was perfect for the battery. Hopefully save it from the direct heat a bit.

Left hand doors were struggling to lock, especially the rear. Pulled the trim off and everything looks ok so just lubed up everything and seems to be better. Even threw on some more earth straps from the body to chassis in the rear area to see if that helped.

Next is swivel seals the axle balls are rusty as so needs a full strip down, inspect , clean and rebuild. Dreading that but needs to be done I guess. Just not a 5 min job.

Oh nearly forgot! Got some parts coming from Superior in the next week or 2

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
Had another week off work so it was shed time on Goldie. I bought a full swivel hub kit but in the end really only needed the actual swivel seals only as everything else was in good condition, which is very surprising when you look at the balls.

I put a set of the old school 4.8 front brake pads. But these didn’t seem to have as much bits as they had in the past. So I went for a set of yellow EBC. Right from the get go these have so much more bite it’s not funny. I said to the bloke; I don’t care about noise , dust or wear. I want pads that stop me !! And that they do. Yet to be fully bedded in too. Yes they are dusty but the way thing truck gets to speed , it needs to stop as quick too.

From Superior came a front steering radiator guard. Been running without one for years even the factory one is plastic, but thought a good idea to reinstate it.

Also bought from them braided brake lines. From axle to caliper, so hopefully once fitted will give a better feeling pedal on top of the new pads.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
More COVID time off more work on the Patrol
Trans temps seemed a bit higher than what I was comfortable with so I thought I would add another one. It had this in it.

It was behind the WTA cooler. It’s size was approx 380 x 250. So I was going to add another in front of the radiator. But after a night of investigation, that was going to be a ton of work to get too.
The new cooler was a PWR unit.

Which is approx 280 x 255.

So I went the easy way out and bought a 2nd unit and looped them together behind the cooler and fitted a peach

So once fitted she runs so cool May have helped too that I topped up the fluid too as the trans was approx a litre short

Another thing I wanted to do to upgrade the brakes was braided lines to the calipers. Thanks to Justin’s help and hoist, this job was a breeze

While fitting these I noticed the front bump stop was a little worse for wear and got one ordered pronto!

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #619 ·
The annual QBW snow trip with the boys was a success! No snow but good tracks up around licola none the less. First time with the boggers on and the LSA turned them with ease. Even on the drive from Noble Park to Traralgon East. I got 17.5/100 over 140km
The new driving light were awesome too !
Here’s low beam and high. Great blend between the two.

601 - 620 of 645 Posts