Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

621 - 640 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 · (Edited)
How is the GU going as the daily Vince?
Going great. I love driving it daily. Especially when fuel (98) is a $1.20. It’s like driving a crap handling car. Maybe like a HQ or similar lol. But got it dailed in just nicely. Really happy with it.

·
IS IT FRIDAY YET?
nissan patrol
777 Posts
Going great. I love driving it daily. Especially when fuel (98) is a $1.20. It’s like driving a crap handling car. Maybe like a HQ or similar lol. But got it dailed in just nicely. Really happy with it.
Awesome! , I understand handling lol I had a HK and HX.

·
Registered
nissan gq
446 Posts
Looks awesome would be a real nice bus, but while it's good fun and maybe camera enhanced it's just another track fu**er. :)

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,673 Posts
Awesome! , I understand handling lol I had a HK and HX.
Hey. The HK handled great for the day. As long as you had a big screwdriver to pop the Speco shifter back into gear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #628 ·
Hey. The HK handled great for the day. As long as you had a big screwdriver to pop the Speco shifter back into gear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
that was a PITA with the 3 on the tree shifters lol the technic was to go with the H pattern. if you tried to straight line the shift it would jam up :(

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #629 ·
A bit more enhancements of late. In cab winch controller with isolator. And switches for the 2 sets of thermo fans I have.

But it wasn’t all plain sailing as I found a fuse that was hanging on by its finger nails.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
Next was the exhaust. For some strange reason the cross over pipes were hitting the front tailshaft; and I have 2” extended front bump stops !

Can see the area on the shaft that was hitting.
So a bit of cut and shut with some straight pipe fixed the issue. Now I am wondering if the rear pipe will hit lol

I just spot welded it to see if it cleared the bell housing before fully welding it in it.

Next up is get the cruise control up and running and then rebuild the power steering box ( it leaks badly) and then concentrate of fixing a few small things to have it engineered

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #631 ·
Was getting bored during covid lockdown so time to give the old girl a facial. So a cut with some compound and then polish with a good wax and then ceramic coat. Now smooth as a baby’s bum and water beads so well

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #632 ·
About a month before Xmas my dash lights decided to come on. Just 3 of them , sub tank battery and brake. Then they started flashing and flickering. Alt was still charging. Had me stumped. Found a few things it could have been if it was a 3l still but couldn’t fault anything. Till one day ( 1000km later) the alt finally packed it in outputting zero volts.
New alt is really thumping out the volts now

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #634 ·
It seems my high country trip was a bit too much for one of the dobinson rear shock.
So I asked around and had these recommended by a few people. Very nice shock and a good price compared to the Superior stuff.

The front was ok to fit but the shock tower had to come off to fit the canister but the inner guards were in the way. Had to Dremel them a bit to make room.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #635 ·
The water pump for the inter cooler decided to pack it in as well. I add used it when I had the 3l motor with a water to air cooler, so it wasn’t new when fitted to this conversion. It’s just a Davis Craig water pump and super lucky my good friend Justin had one laying around

It seems to be a fault with these compressors. The thermo switch in them die. The bonus is the end caps with brushes and all are only $23. wow something cheap from ARB !

And now yr fully update

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
313 Posts
I run the BP51s as well. Seem to be holding up well.
Only advice I was given was throw the stone guard away and make sure the front shock tower is clearanced enough.

I’ve had the same problem with the twin pump. Think I bypassed the thermo switches last time.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #637 ·
I run the BP51s as well. Seem to be holding up well.
Only advice I was given was throw the stone guard away and make sure the front shock tower is clearanced enough.

I’ve had the same problem with the twin pump. Think I bypassed the thermo switches last time.
That’s good to hear about the shocks. I like that they are local if I have issues with them.

Yeah I’ll keep an eye on the fronts as one of the dobinsons was rubbing. Might have to Dremel it out more.
Yeah you could easily bridge the thermo switch I guess but these are cheap to replace. I was quite surprised!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,998 Posts
Over the Xmas break I got a quick high country trip in. Fantastic and interesting weather.

Would to tackle these one day, hopefully before I’m to old to give it a crack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: VinceGU05

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 ·
Just a small update on stuff that’s been going on since Jan.
Fitted new radius arms for better handling. Also replaced the lower control arm bushes in the rear as they were flogged out too and the car was steering like a forklift under acceleration.
So I went with the drop box style and now the car doesn’t pull left at all. The steering hasn’t been this good since I bought the car!!

New arm in in the distance, old one closest.

This is the difference from where the old arm were holding the diff to the new arm. Doesn’t seem much but gees it made a big difference!

Old rear bushes slightly flogged to death. Not even centralized anymore.

Even chucked in a new steering dampener.

All arms and bushes and steering dampener were well over 10 years old so well and truly due. Car feels tight and handles so much better now !!

621 - 640 of 645 Posts