Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

641 - 645 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 · (Edited)
The last trip I did in the bush the car was running hot. Or should I say got hot very easily going up the hills. like 115 water temp and oil 130 !
I had 11” Spal fans at the front of the stack and 16” at the rear. Fronts would run and the time and rears only come on at 95 and off at 91. The stack was made up of water to air intercooler, trans coolers, a/c condenser and finally the radiator.
So I took out all the coolers and pressure washed them all. Not too bad but the intercooler was the worst. Straighten up as many fins as I could on all the rads. And went nuts sealing the stack up between coolers so air has to pass thru the stack and not slip out the sides.

As you can see the radiator has had a hard life with rough people doing engine conversions. But it didn’t leak. But it did once I put it all back together and filled it with distilled water and coolant

I reckon someone used radiator stop leaks or something and when I pressure washed it blew it out.
So off to Patrolapart for a fresh one.

Sealed up stack.

I upgraded to rear fans from 1600 CFM ea to 2200 CFM ea. I also didn’t fit the front fans thinking they could be stalling or restricting the air flow or the draw of the rear fans. I should also add that I replaced the 86c thermostat with a 76c thermostat a couple of months ago with not much change.

Factory, LSA’s come with an oil cooler but due to exhaust and space restrictions it got dumped. So I set about re instating it with a oil filter sandwich plate that’s thermostatically controlled and a nice fancy Derale oil cooler with fans.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
I had the perfect spot for the cooler that wouldn’t add to the stack.

Would like to thank Justin for his time and hoist and tools; we had this bad boy all cut out and fitted in and evening
We used the wiring that controlled the front fans so that was a bonus.
And now high oil temps are a thing of the past. Went wheeling on the weekend and the hottest the oil got was 210f and sits on 180f on the highway, which is thermostat temp of the sandwich block.

And since all this work even the water temps are down. super happy about that.

The rear fans keep it all cool now and the fans rarely come on ! So a 4 way combo has fixed my running hot issues

So if anyone if looking for thermo fans in either 11” or 16” hit me up. I have many left over

·
Registered
116 Posts
G'day Mate, great thread. How do you find the BP-51s and drop box/arm combination? I'm looking for something that smooths the harsh ride over corrugations that I have at the moment.

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
G'day Mate, great thread. How do you find the BP-51s and drop box/arm combination? I'm looking for something that smooths the harsh ride over corrugations that I have at the moment.
Gday and thanks.
I think the combo would greatly improve yr ride. The shocks are tunable so can play with the rebound and compression to what works on corrugations and the arms will happily pivot and not transfer shock and load to the chassis like it does now. I haven’t driven outback corrugations with this but hit many a pot hole or crater in the high country to know it will do the job better.

641 - 645 of 645 Posts