Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
641 - 660 of 663 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 · (Edited)
The last trip I did in the bush the car was running hot. Or should I say got hot very easily going up the hills. like 115 water temp and oil 130 !
I had 11” Spal fans at the front of the stack and 16” at the rear. Fronts would run all the time and rears only come on at 95 and off at 91. The stack was made up of water to air intercooler, trans coolers, a/c condenser and finally the radiator.
So I took out all the coolers and pressure washed them all. Not too bad but the intercooler was the worst. Straighten up as many fins as I could on all the rads. And went nuts sealing the stack up between coolers so air has to pass thru the stack and not slip out the sides.

As you can see the radiator has had a hard life with rough people doing engine conversions. But it didn’t leak. But it did once I put it all back together and filled it with distilled water and coolant

I reckon someone used radiator stop leaks or something and when I pressure washed it blew it out.
So off to Patrolapart for a fresh one.

Sealed up stack.

I upgraded to rear fans from 1600 CFM ea to 2200 CFM ea. I also didn’t fit the front fans thinking they could be stalling or restricting the air flow or the draw of the rear fans. I should also add that I replaced the 86c thermostat with a 76c thermostat a couple of months ago with not much change.

Factory, LSA’s come with an oil cooler but due to exhaust and space restrictions it got dumped. So I set about re instating it with a oil filter sandwich plate that’s thermostatically controlled and a nice fancy Derale oil cooler with fans.

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
I had the perfect spot for the cooler that wouldn’t add to the stack.

Would like to thank Justin for his time and hoist and tools; we had this bad boy all cut out and fitted in and evening
We used the wiring that controlled the front fans so that was a bonus.
And now high oil temps are a thing of the past. Went wheeling on the weekend and the hottest the oil got was 210f and sits on 180f on the highway, which is thermostat temp of the sandwich block.

And since all this work even the water temps are down. super happy about that.

The rear fans keep it all cool now and the fans rarely come on ! So a 4 way combo has fixed my running hot issues

So if anyone if looking for thermo fans in either 11” or 16” hit me up. I have many left over

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
G'day Mate, great thread. How do you find the BP-51s and drop box/arm combination? I'm looking for something that smooths the harsh ride over corrugations that I have at the moment.
Gday and thanks.
I think the combo would greatly improve yr ride. The shocks are tunable so can play with the rebound and compression to what works on corrugations and the arms will happily pivot and not transfer shock and load to the chassis like it does now. I haven’t driven outback corrugations with this but hit many a pot hole or crater in the high country to know it will do the job better.

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
Not much to report. Been in lockdown for the past 2 months.
I had some 33’s sitting out the back for years; like 10 years ; and decided to get some steel rims and pop them on as the 35” muddies I was running are wearing quickly and terrible on road. It looks rather rude now

On the plus side it’s much quieter on road and even quicker in acceleration
And the mileage has improved. This is going to and from work for the past month.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,581 Posts
Not much to report. Been in lockdown for the past 2 months.
I had some 33’s sitting out the back for years; like 10 years ; and decided to get some steel rims and pop them on as the 35” muddies I was running are wearing quickly and terrible on road. It looks rather rude now

On the plus side it’s much quieter on road and even quicker in acceleration
And the mileage has improved. This is going to and from work for the past month.

Is that on the 35's?

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·
Gday gents. Not a lot to report.
Was starting to get steering wobbles and after looking into it I noticed my drag link tie rod ends were flogged out. So upgraded to a Superior bar and ends. As you can see they are a tad beefier.

I replaced the rear tie rods as well but that bar was already a Superior one. Also tightened up the steering box a little too. All tight as a drum now.

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #652 · (Edited)
One issue I had that I was ignorant too was my a/c. I don't have the front condenser fan now since the Duramax days. But it ran a clutch fan so wasn't an issue. But the LSA is running thermo's and the condenser was going way over temp therefore a/c cutting out and not a/cing; till one day it stopped working due to blowing out the orings on the compressor. Found a great a/c shop that found out all this for me and said I have to have the fans running when a/c is running!
I thought about using the a/c switch to switch the relay for the fans on but they are negatively wired Doh! After spending ages pulling the whole dash apart to get to the switch 🤬😫
Then a light bulb moment! I remembered the old fan wiring from Nissan was still there and quickly multimetered it. BOOM! It had power there when the a/c was on! Perfect.!! So quickly stripped back a wire to the thermo fan and wired to the old Nissan fan plug. It worked. Weird bit was I wired only to one fan but both fans came on 😵
Anyways condenser super cool to touch all the time now so goal achieved.
The Nissan plug has 2 positive wires so ran one to each thermo fan to share the load. So far so good. Works a treat, nothing blown, and I have super cold a/c. The best it's ever been. 🥰🤤😬

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 · (Edited)
Gday readers. Well the fridge keeps turning off. The plug very sensitive to movement so decided to bypass the stupid cig lighter plug and just connect it directly to the fuse block off the 2nd battery which sits at the front of the drawers system. I think I found the problem. Wires a tad squashed inside the plug and most likely broken!!

Now just waiting on a new battery and dc to dc charger to come in the post. Trying a lithium battery cause my big Waeco loves sucking power and seems to be voltage sensitive.

Also the airbag light has been flashing for bloody ages and now the horn packed it in. It was freshly made working a few years ago , but I double checked everything and couldn't fault it. But after a few beers and thoughts, maybe it's the clockspring. Google search said most likely the cause. Check with Nizzbits and 45 bucks later ( wtf! A cheap Nissan part)
I have a new one. YouTubed the install and problems all solved after a reset :cool:😁
it was well and truly stuffed. notibly smoother and quieter when steering now.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
363 Posts
Gday readers. Well the fridge keeps turning off. Tye plug very sensitive to movement so decided to bypass the stupid cig lighter plug and just connect it directly to the fuse block off the 2nd battery which sits at the front of the drawers system. I think I found the problem. Wires a tad squashed!!

Now just waiting on a new battery and dc to dc charger to come in the post. Trying a lithium battery cause my big Waeco loves sucking power.

Also the airbag light has been flashing for bloody ages and now the horn packed it in. It was freshly made working a few years ago , but I double checked everything and couldn't fault. But after a few beers and thoughts maybe it's the clockspring. Google search said most likely the cause. Check with Nizzbits and 45 bucks later ( wtf! A cheap Nissan part)
I have a new one. YouTubed the install and problems all solved after a reset
Just read through your whole thread in 1 go and I must say, you've had quite the adventure :ROFLMAO:
Incredible read, although I do wonder if you're missing the Dmax with current petrol prices 😬

Squished wires are a pain, I need to go through my car and re-do all the wiring as a lot of it was just a rushed job to get it on the road, but that's a future job as it all works for now haha. If you wanted to keep a plug an anderson plug would be ideal, much better than cig plugs since they're tighter and more 'everything-proof'. But you probably already know that.
I will definetly be following this thread now, keen to see the future progress, as well as how the LSA goes in the longer run. I'll keep the SD for now though, got to see what I can get from it yet.

On a side note, I don't have A/C or airbag problems, because I don't have A/C or airbags!
Before the MK became my daily I drove a V6 VY Calais with beautiful aircon, and I must admit, I did miss it in the middle of summer.

Reactions: VinceGU05

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
Just read through your whole thread in 1 go and I must say, you've had quite the adventure :ROFLMAO:
Incredible read, although I do wonder if you're missing the Dmax with current petrol prices 😬

Squished wires are a pain, I need to go through my car and re-do all the wiring as a lot of it was just a rushed job to get it on the road, but that's a future job as it all works for now haha. If you wanted to keep a plug an anderson plug would be ideal, much better than cig plugs since they're tighter and more 'everything-proof'. But you probably already know that.
I will definetly be following this thread now, keen to see the future progress, as well as how the LSA goes in the longer run. I'll keep the SD for now though, got to see what I can get from it yet.

On a side note, I don't have A/C or airbag problems, because I don't have A/C or airbags!
Before the MK became my daily I drove a V6 VY Calais with beautiful aircon, and I must admit, I did miss it in the middle of summer.
gday Ethan thanks :) wow thats a great effort reading all that in one go!! as they say its all about the journey not the destination lol well my daily is diesel so i drive that when fuel prices goes up.. when it drops at the bottom of the cycle i drive the patrol cause why wouldnt you, its ace fun to drive. then tank it before it shoots up again and park it and back to the diesel car.

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 · (Edited)
Gday readers. I just have to update my last post.
I received and installed the BCDC1250 charger and the DCS 100AH lithium battery. I am super impressed with both.
But granted my old AGM battery was 10+ years old. It had great voltage but could only power the fridge for 12 odd hrs. The lithium battery went for 3 days and still going strong and gave up testing further.

An example of rapid charging. It was down to 80% SOC and I left home and about an hour later it was 100% charge while running the fridge. Super happy and worth the money I think.

Screen shot from my phone with the Bluetooth app to the battery. Can see the charger pumping in 50 amp. Also had to get rid of my original battery isolator as this BCDC is also one.

Not to mention I reckon this battery is 20kg lighter!

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
Thanks Klappers. Little tweaks bit by bit. Like this one. Thought putting a fuse in where the old battery isolator was. This when I discovered the beautiful condition of the cable running to the 2nd battery.

Just a bit of corrosion

With only a 1/3 of the wire still connected

I ended up cutting off about 350mm of the cable due to corrosion unbelievable what goes on under the bonnet for the passed 12 years.

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #659 · (Edited)
I can't remember if I reported this or not so sorry if I'm repeating my self. My winch stopped working. Hardly ever use it!! I just spool it off and on every 6 months to make sure it works still but it stopped for good. Checked all the wiring being the first thing. And all ok. So dropped the winch out and popped the motor off.
It's a XP9.5 I sent to Mal Leslie to get modified when I first bought it. Sealing it up was one of the things he does.
Anyways, the motor was dry inside but a lot of surface rust ( must sweat a bit in there) and I couldn't believe what I had found.:eek:

The brushes had rusted to the brush guides! And took me an hour to free them up. One in particular was really stuck. Heaps of WD40 and time, and managed to free it up. Once free , rinsed in brake cleaner then lanotec it all up. I'm sure many have experienced how much of a PITA it is getting all 4 brushes onto the armature 😫 sealed it up and popped it back in and all good now.

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 ·
Next was getting the most out of my lithium battery setup. I'd seen a few people now going induction cooktop and running it off the battery no problem.
So got a redarc 2000w inverter to cover the 2000w cooktop. Screwed to to the side of the drawer system but in a spot I can reach the switch. Screwed a power board down, got rid of the other rear seat and made a board to set everything up on. So I went all mod con and bought a small microwave and strapped it down and there's enough room in front of it to use the cooktop in front of it. Had a spare toaster at home so knocked that off and bought a cheap coffee machine that uses the same pods as the house machine. Super impressed with it all and works a treat. Don't have to worry about running out of gas or wind blowing the flame out or poor performance at high altitudes

Had some 70mm2 wire at work that came in handy good for 300+amps.

The board gets bolted down using the bolt holes for the seat.

Found a nice tub at bunnings to store the cooking gear in and sits nicely next to the microwave

641 - 660 of 663 Posts