Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
661 - 663 of 663 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
Went away camping for Easter and had a couple of small mechanicals. One of which nearly had me on the back of a tow truck.
We were camping at Talbotville which is surrounded by river crossings which were still up a bit from recent heavy rains. Anyways after about 35 crossings I think one of my motor idler pulleys gave up. I don't know whether it was old age, water and dust or poor fitment or all of the above.

This bearing was cooked! But I think that's half the problem. After closer inspection when I got home, I think the problem was the wrong bolt was used which chewed out the washer , bolt came loose and backed out as the pulley was on an angle when the bonnet was first lifted. The bearing was stuffed but not that stuffed.

Correct bolt left. Villain on the right.

What the villain did to said washer.

How the washer should look like. Can see the heat put into the washer from the bearing. The spigot the bearing sat on was rounded off too confirming loose pulley.
To get out of the pickle I used the idler off the a/c it was smaller and made of plastic but the tensioner was just able to tension it. This belt ran the alternator water pump and power steering. The a/c has its own little belt and the blower also it's own belt and special pulley system. ( non serviceable bearings) so with this fix the trip continued

New bearings where possible now

·
Registered
nissan
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #662 · (Edited)
The other thing that took its toll from the trip was the cooling fans from the oil cooler in the front bar. I have them on a switch and turn them off every river crossing but I don't think these fans were IP68 rated. One dead and the other very noisy. I bought some Spal fans that were very close to fit and modded to suit. IP68 should be good for a meter of water for 30 mins so I think they were just cheap crap OEM fitted to the cooler.

Brushes turned into lapping paste 😵

One little upgrade too. I hated the horn fitted by the sparky.

Sounded like a mini moke!

These sound heaps better and louder. 😁:cool:

Hella 6005. $53 (y)

661 - 663 of 663 Posts