Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

641 - 660 of 683 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,650 Posts
What is the reason for the drop down function of the kitchen unit??? It is too low to use down there, so is it set up to be removed??

·
Registered
nissan
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #643
The kitchen top starts off at the roof height of the canopy. The hydraulic rotary actuators have 180 degree possible rotation.
The kitchen height can be adjusted to suit when deployed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #644
Starting on finishing touches.
I have aftermarket low profile rocker covers which let engine oil splash out of the breather holes. We have fabricated engine breathers that look machined and a catch can that bolts to the air box for fully sealed system (by Metal Miracles who also made most of the kitchen)
In theory any oil that makes it to the catch can will drain back to the engine.
All of the carbon fibre work is done for now on roof console, amp and speaker covers

·
Registered
3 Posts
At first I thought this was a joke when I read the power figures at the beginning but I've just scrolled through the entire thread and it is the wildest 4wd build I've ever seen.

I need to see it and hear it run.

·
Registered
2011 Patrol Ti
3 Posts
Hey mate,
Wondering how you're getting along in obtaining an engineers certificate with the combo of a duramax and portals? I'm in NSW and are looking at the same setup but a wagon. I saw you moved a heap of stuff to the rear ie: batteries etc. How much did you have to move to achieve an acceptable axle weight? Sorry to be a pain mate, have been in contact with Marks Adapters, PID, and a few engineers and apparently this is going to be my big hurdle.. besides the lane change etc testing it's got to pass.

·
Registered
nissan
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #648
Hi Harty
I have engaged an engineer from the start.
Mine is about 3 months away from attempting registration
I have pre-approval in principle for all mods except 35” tyres. About to argue those now as licensing have accepted portal compliance engineering which includes 35” tyres
Second time round I would make my own chassis and build a wilder vehicle under ICV legislation

·
Registered
nissan
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #649
I moved behind cab, trans coolers, condenser and batteries. Front winch is mounted under radiator but above approach angle. Custom steel bar has less protrusion than factory bumper and is mounted on ARB airbag compliant mounts

·
Registered
2011 Patrol Ti
3 Posts
Hi Harty
I have engaged an engineer from the start.
Mine is about 3 months away from attempting registration
I have pre-approval in principle for all mods except 35” tyres. About to argue those now as licensing have accepted portal compliance engineering which includes 35” tyres
Second time round I would make my own chassis and build a wilder vehicle under ICV legislation

Crikey Moses!!!! Fark, that single line above regarding widening the chassis says a lot.. Even after reading this entire thread, it's obvious that it only touches the surface on what you've been through to get it to where it is today.. True indicator of the work (and your perseverance). I'm always up for a challenge but might have to rethink my approach. Widening the chassis is a big job in itself before axles and engine transplant. I guess the last question is (before approaching wife on my hands and knees), Where would you get something like that done? Marks Adapters (I should just call and ask sorry mate). I'm often hearing the comment I should just buy something else but I can't help the fact I just want a Patrol.

·
Registered
nissan
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #651
Hi Harty
You have misread my post :) To do it again I would make a chassis from scratch. Then you can comply the vehicle as an ICV (Independently Constructed Vehicle) It could then be WILDER and you write your own specification as the vehicle manufacturer as long as it meets the overarching rules. ie you could still fit a Patrol cab but run 40" tyres if you can pass lane change and brake tests

·
Registered
2011 Patrol Ti
3 Posts
Hi Harty
You have misread my post :) To do it again I would make a chassis from scratch. Then you can comply the vehicle as an ICV (Independently Constructed Vehicle) It could then be WILDER and you write your own specification as the vehicle manufacturer as long as it meets the overarching rules. ie you could still fit a Patrol cab but run 40" tyres if you can pass lane change and brake tests
My apologies mate. Thank you. Have given me some serious food for thought. In most cases a duramax and portals is a want but i kinda need the combo so i have the portals for clearance on the property (lots of river boulders etc) and the duramax to make it a capable tow vehicle.. Thanks again Ewan. Got some homework to do and some phone calls to make (source an engineering firm that can build a new chassis etc)

Was planning on getting the build underway on the next 8-12weeks,

I'll keep you posted as to how I go if you're interested

·
Registered
nissan
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #653
I am fitting a gas system for stove and BBQ. The installation will be fully compliant apart from using an automotive gas tank which has vapour draw.
In WA it is exactly the same gas in BBQ bottles as from the bowser. Other states may have a couple of % points more butane but it is no problem.
To keep the gas away from electrical power I decided to cut into the LHR toolbox. A sealed stainless box has been created which will have a stainless rear access door matching the othe toolbox door styles.
Two quick connect gas fittings for stove and bbq are there as well as the water tap which has a clear gravity flow down to a bucket or can attach a hose.
Water and gas entry is through side bulkheads and fittings are hidden behind flush panel.

·
Registered
nissan
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #656
Yes it is heavy and yes portal engineering covers gvm upgrade.
I am also looking into re-rating the rear axle and increasing the gvm further subject to usual requirements for plenty of leeway

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I joined the forum just to read this build, unreal! I can’t wait to see this thing down here around Callcup.
Awesome work mate this is truely a unique rig!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Ewan, do you expect any issues with the portals handling the output from the duramax? I was interested in the portal conversion, but Marks wouldn't give me any guarantees they could withstand the torque.

·
Registered
nissan
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #659
I don't expect Mark's to guarantee the portals.
If I gave the drivetrain full noise with no mechanical symapthy, something would break just like in a standard vehicle with enough abuse. In theory the muddies will break traction first but shock loads are the worst. My wife's car has a supercharged LS3 but I only roll onto the power rather than nail it.
My dyno results were higher than expected but the engine was really just dyno'd to ensure all was good before leaving the US. It has some upgrades but these were primarily to build in reliabilty first and a bit of fun second. It will have enough power to run up a long dune without dying in the arse hopefully.

641 - 660 of 683 Posts