Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

681 - 700 of 706 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
126 Posts
sorry Ewan, I was refering to the LPG bottle, as my Troll is Diesel / Gas with a pissy 30L LPG tank

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
Hi Col, I can't remember the exact LPG tank size I have but it is about the same. Mine is a vapour draw and is only to run the stove and BBQ

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
The back still looks a little odd without spare wheels, canopy and especially mud guards. It is however very well proportioned in real life. Only one door on lhs to access gas, water and stabiliser leg for kitchen.
Small cover is on friction hinges hides Anderson plug, round and flat trailer plugs
Inset mesh is to check winch rope is winding on OK
Under tray drawer runs full length to cab but does narrow towards the front. It has a stainless which doubles as a work bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
As the build gets closer to the end I am making another submission via the consulting engineer to DOT (don’t get if you ask )
GVM to 4400kg
Overall lift to 200mm (25mm only spring lift)
140mm track width increase
Hutchinson Dual headlock rims 1450kg rated
37x13.5 Nitto mugrappler tyres 1950kg rated
This involves additional strengthening to axles and chassis. Reverse engineering and stress analysis of axles and chassis. ADR brake test and lane change test.
Fingers crossed !!!!

Canopy is now painted and awaiting final assembly.
HD padded vinyl floor is in progress but we ran out of material.

My Oddysey batteries died so waiting for two 200ah Lipo batteries from DCS. Have decided not to split them and gain most benefits of these batteries. (5-6 times power delivery of traditional batteries if you believe the write ups) Accessories such as fridges will run off an in-line low voltage protector.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Good luck mate, hope the engineer gets everything passed

That’s a real pain in the arse those batteries dying!!!

Keen to see the canopy on, Logie what your done to the tray

Mate what rear diff are you using? H230 or H260? The H260, may assist with the GVM increase!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
Laminate H230 housings. Portals have cruiser hubs and brakes which we can get 4495kg gvm certified already

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Yeah the let down with the H230 is the axel size and load carrying ability, the H260 axels are much larger.

With the Jmacx 4495 GVM in the new 79 they come standard with M300 Axels. I was thinking if they made the same axels for either Nissan diff that may help with your increase. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
I have been waiting for new batteies to arrive and be mounted before installing the newly painted canopy as it is easier that way for working space
My Oddysey 200ah AGM batteries both died as this project has taken too long. :rolleyes:
I have replaced them with two same capacity lithium batteries which are just going to be linked in parralel as one battery system instead of dual.
This makes full use of the approximately 5x additional drawdown capacity.
They will take as much charge rate as the 320 amp alternator can handle throwing at them
A programmable voltage regulator, 200amp programmable low power cutoff to run accessories off, spike protection, alternator and battery overheat protection, in built bluetooth battery monitoring all form the new system.
This is not meant to be a whinge (the supplier has been very helpful) but rather provide some help for others.
The batteries are DCS 12V 200Ah Slim Line (Lithium Ion) which I have had some issues with.
When they arrived the battery cells had broken loose and were rattling aound.
Luckily no harm no foul and they both still work OK and the cell assembly quality is great
The cells are secured by an internal bracket mounted to only four spot welded studs in the 1.6mm base plate which broke off.
This is primarily due to the fact that this is all that holds the cell in place and it is a loose fit within the outer casing.
They are also shipped on their side which is their weakest position
We are replacing the four studs with bolts, packing the cell more tightly (6mm clearance) within the securing bracket and then packing the gaps between the bracket and the outer casing.
We will also seal the housing as the metal surfaces just bolt together with no water proofing
I will add photos tomorrow as we re-assemble them.
My guess is most of these batteries are coming out of China with similar issues which can easily be corrected.

Apart from that the axles are now out and stripped for 3d scanning and reverse engineering for GVM upgrade.
We are also going to scan and reverse engineer a borrowed chassis for the same purpose.
We also scanned the plastic ARB foglight housings in the bumper to try machining them out of stainless billet :cool:
The vinyl flooring is almost completed now (looks great) which means the centre console, rear storage and sub box can be built to suit
Hopefully the painted canopy will be mounted this week ready for final fitout.

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
The batteries are back together now. Unnecessary battery posts have been removed, heat sensor connection through slightly modified plug in post hole, added handles, packed out clearances to secure cells properly, removed all failed/ing studs and fitted bolts. The battery box has also been modified to suit these new batteries
All 3D scanning is now completed ready for Cad modelling and FEA
Hopefully batteries in and canopy on next week.

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
Batteries are modified and in place.
Some rewiring was required to switch from a dual batteries system to running them together as a single unit.
With some well placed remote battery posts in the vehicle we have been able to keep all the connections very tidy

Vinyl flooring is also done. Exposed floor ribs will be raptor coated
Starting to trim the back wall panels and hood lining in black suede now

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
LOL. The GVM was a rabbit hole that I was trying to ignore but knew would probably come up.
Upgraded tyres and rims are needed for the GVM. 37" tyres and beadlock rims meet the load requirement :):):)

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
LOL. The GVM was a rabbit hole that I was trying to ignore but knew would probably come up.
Upgraded tyres and rims are needed for the GVM. 37" tyres and beadlock rims meet the load requirement :):):)
Who ho ho, good luck. Christmas is coming maybe they will be feeling generous when you suggest the 37" on
bead-locked hucthinson wheels for high load capacity.

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
After a few extra wiring tweaks, assembly has finally started.
Batteries are in now with shielded wiring to the temperature sensor.
Now the water tank is back sitting in it’s cradle above them. It has a 50mm filler, 0-5V level sensor and a breather to top of roll bar. There is a hinged roll bar panel still to fit that hides the access to the filler point
The tank wraps around the a/c condenser with triple fan box. Above are two trans coolers plumbed in series and two air tanks.
These fans move an incredible amount of air. We had to stagger the start up with the Motec control by a second for each fan due to the current draw spike

·
Registered
nissan
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #697
My new Hutchinson Beadlocks have arrived
I forgot to take a photo of the large rubber band that sits inside and presses both beads onto the rim
Will hopefully throw one of my new tyres on tomorrow (Fuel Gripper MT 37” x 13.5”)

Rear axle housing is about to get a whole lot of strengthening done.
Canopy paint finish was poor and the company walked away from the job stating that they weren’t capable of doing a good job. It is at another shop now so fingers are crossed

Interior is progressing but it is very black until lighting goes in. The suede absorbs all light

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,255 Posts
My new Hutchinson Beadlocks have arrived
I forgot to take a photo of the large rubber band that sits inside and presses both beads onto the rim
Will hopefully throw one of my new tyres on tomorrow (Fuel Gripper MT 37” x 13.5”)

Rear axle housing is about to get a whole lot of strengthening done.
Canopy paint finish was poor and the company walked away from the job stating that they weren’t capable of doing a good job. It is at another shop now so fingers are crossed

Interior is progressing but it is very black until lighting goes in. The suede absorbs all light

What...? No Central Tyre Inflation System...? ;)

Back in my military vehicle days we almost exclusively used CTIS capable Hutchinson wheels. A lot of them also had portals. :sneaky:

Bloody nice looking wheel, though. (y)

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,017 Posts
Nice Rims but i am now totally confused 5 stud rims??

681 - 700 of 706 Posts