Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

701 - 715 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
471 Posts
Nice Rims but i am now totally confused 5 stud rims??
It is my understanding that the portal use the cruise hubs and brake setup as it is able to be engineered to a higher GVM. I looked into the Marks kit a few back and just before I passed out from the price it advises that you need to supply your own 5 stud Cruiser wheels for the conversion

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
The portal axles run Toyota 200 series hubs and brakes.
My portals were supplied with some suitable wheels but they do not have the load rating to suit the maximum GVM that I am chasing.
The Hutchinson wheel have the load rating and obvious benefit of twin beadlock but they will increase trackwidth by about another 80mm (+180mm from standard Patrol)
We have remodelled the axles and chassis in 3D and are now making upgrades to the strengthening and preparing full engineering reports to submit licensing for hopefully pre-approval. Then to track for brake and swerve testing.

·
Registered
nissan
547 Posts
So it seems that I was right when I said that your tires would need replacing from old age before you ever got it on the road!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan gq
441 Posts
A while back I was looking at 20" hutchinsons for my 4x4 truck, very nice wheels no doubt and naturally nice price also. I think it was $12k for 4 wheels with michelin xzl tyres.

jim

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
I got 6 tyres delivered for $2040 AUD
Not sure on total rim cost yet because it was easier to get a US based business I deal with to get them for me. I think about $600 each delivered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
366 Posts
Ewan, you killing us mate, give us something here, anything,..... we neeeeeeeed to see this build continue.

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Sorry it has been very slow lately with Christmas holidays stopping everything.
The front and rear axle housings have been engineered and strengthened, but not refitted.
Currently the chassis is being fitted with a PSR internal and external chassis bracing kit.
The supplied custom sump also needs to come off and be rewelded as the guy who made it didn't do a very good job and it leaks

I am now wondering whether to apply for a 4501kg GVM which bumps the vehicle up a class giving the benefit of increasing the GCM also but has the downside of requiring an LR license

·
Registered
2003 zd30 manual wagon
525 Posts
And you will have to stop at every truck inspection station.....

That would annoy the cr4p out of me

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,983 Posts
And you will have to stop at every truck inspection station.....

That would annoy the cr4p out of me
Don’t you also need a log book after 4.5T?

Ewan the GCM for my Jmacx 79 is 7995KG, not bad considering

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Foo

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
25,694 Posts

If the "tare weight" is over 4.5t but there is some thing about being a tourist or something weird where you don't need one, I think but you should need an update on your license to a rigid or something.

Foo

·
Registered
2003 zd30 manual wagon
525 Posts
Every time you pulled into a over 4.5t GVM check station you could be potentially scrutineered, axle weights checked both truck and trailer, every tie down strap, suspension, tyres, everything.

If you were on a big trip depending on where your driving you could go past a few checking locations every day.

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #713

Is your GVM below 4500kg? My advice is that I can’t increase GCM under VSB14 and so increase to pass under VSB6

Here is a shot of the chassis plating which I think looks better than original wrinkled chassis. Plating runs up the inside and under cab.
Sump came off today to weld leaks whilst front axle is out.
Now to put it all back together again

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,983 Posts
Is your GVM below 4500kg? My advice is that I can’t increase GCM under VSB14 and so increase to pass under VSB6

Here is a shot of the chassis plating which I think looks better than original wrinkled chassis. Plating runs up the inside and under cab.

Hey mate, 4,495KGs GVM with a 7,995 GCM.

Reactions: Ewan
701 - 715 of 715 Posts