Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
721 - 738 of 738 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
108 Posts
food for thought if you havent sorted it. register and approve as a light truck with gvm of over 4.5t then deregister it down to 4495 to avoid the different license. trucks do it all the time. my 6.5t truck can be dergistered down to 4.495t.
Forgive my ignorance - what does that achieve?

·
Registered
nissan
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #726 ·
Not many updates because progress is slow and photos of half built stuff gets boring.
The engine is running again and most of the electrical circuits and systems have been tested and adjusted.

We have a huge amount of control over the charging system and have programmed in what is hopefully a safe tune. At idle, the two 200a each lithium batteries are receiving 68amps each plus another 40a to the vehicle systems. (I can only view one battery at a time so far). It is a billet alternator that we have added a temperature sensor to, the system will back off the output if it starts to overheat. Rated at 240a idle and 320a max. It would also pump in up to 15v if not managed.
Have not bothered to split to a dual battery circuit. The max charge capacity level is programmed to 80% with a switchable option to 95% if planning to park up camping for a few days

Hopefully back on the street next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #728 ·
Are you finished yet?
Everything is functional and working which is a big step electrically.
Motec PDM, Edge CTS3, NOS control, alternator-battery mangement system, canopy A/C, various interlocks, alarm.
The wiring was basically left "loose" until everything was in and functional so the it is like a factory loom with no extra looms or scotch locks
Final bits of stainless trimming, location bed for kitchen, final mounting of stuff is 99.9% complete in the canopy.
Tent controls have been relocated and hard wired in

I gave up on the GVM upgrade route due to no towing capacity and pushing things a bit too far.
I now have have a new rear axle assembly coming from 6x6 Australia which will still be running portals and 10" competition grade diffs and lockers.
This allows me to step up to a higher GVM and GCM which will be determined by engineering and physical testing. Downside is a 100Km speed limit on a "truck"
Installation should be relatively simple compared to everything else :rolleyes: and doesn't require stripping the vehicle

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,552 Posts
Yes it will become a true 6x6 with portals and lockers in all diffs
Just when we thought this couldn't get any more epic........and then you go 6x6.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,315 Posts
I love all the gadgets, tinkering and engineering on this thing - I'm wondering if you're going 6x6 just so that you don't have to take it on the road 😆 :D
Keep up the good work Ewan (y)

·
Registered
Nissan
415 Posts
It has taken a long time to create a very intricate roof console. This is the mould plug for fibreglass with a carbon fibre finish. At the front will be an inverted Waylens 360 4g camera, then Motec switch panel and speaker type grilles to hide or display the Nos bottle.
Some custom interior light lenses are also being made to suit.
The A pillar speaker pods are currently being sheeted in carbon fibre too.
The kitchen should be all tacked together later this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are you finding the 360 camera? Given its not on tye roof, do you have a smaller field of view?

721 - 738 of 738 Posts