Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys everyone knows it can be done but does anybody have any idea on the real cost, not after a guess or what you think it might cost.

you can get the motors and autos pretty cheap over in the states at the moment, have seen one for $4000 motor and tranny, i want to put it in a gu wagon that will be chopped down, it will be for weekends and comps so doesn't have to be enginered or anything as it will never be on the road.

so if any body can give me a price would be great, i tried to contact heathgu but he can't recive pm's for some reason

cheers luke

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
How much of the conversion will you be doing yourself?
I have never done one but if you are paying someone to do the whole lot it is going to be a lot more that if you are just paying for parts and do everything in your shed. You probably wont get the answer you are looking for, just approximates which you dont seem to want

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
How longs a piece of string ???
What can YOU do ???
Who do YOU know that can help on the cheap ???

If YOU can do all or most of the work yourself it will be fairly reasonable excercise
If YOU cant do any or all itll cost heaps

Too many factors to give an accurate figure

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll supply the motor and gearbox, with a empty engine bay and whatever else needs to come off.
i haven't got anywhere or the knowhow to do to much of it myself so would be paying someone to do most of the work i don't mind helping out wherever possible.
even a price within a few grand would be all im after, you no 10-12000 or 15-17000 as all it will be mostly is labour i'll have all the parts or most before i start, thats why i asked for someone that had done it cause they may no the labour part of there bill

cheers luke

·
Registered
378 Posts
i think you need a few more price brackets 25000-35000 may cover it but probably not quite lots to do and lots of one off parts
intercooler and plumbing
harness and wiring
tuning
radiator
oilcoolers
adapterplate
electric vacume pump
tail shaft mods
body lift
4" exhaust
thats about 10k
and there are a lot more other bits then add labour

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
Budgeting 20 to 30 grand for parts and labour is realistic, but there's so many variables its hard to put a price on it until you do it.

As for the engine, I paid 10k for my engine and 5k for the box but that was almost brand new and already in Australia. 4 grand would turn into 6 or more by the time you got it here and the condition would be unknown.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Agree with Tim and P28...
Work out what you think, then double it.
When Heath first did his, I asked him he said 25-30k back then. but aus $ was worth about 1cent US.

if its only a weekend comp truck, why not go with a large sniff V8 petrol that there are kits and parts for everywhere, heaps of people have fitted them, so would be cheaper/easier to get done + lots of local knowledge on tuning etc.

YMMV

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
if its only a weekend comp truck, why not go with a large sniff V8 petrol that there are kits and parts for everywhere, heaps of people have fitted them, so would be cheaper/easier to get done + lots of local knowledge on tuning etc.
I agree and with the cash saved in the conversion it will still be cheaper on fuel for quite a while.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
heyhey said:
I agree and with the cash saved in the conversion it will still be cheaper on fuel for quite a while.
Considering some comps you dont do ~50klms (depending on what comps you wanna do), it will be many years of fuel difference!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys i was hopeing the cost would be somewhere round $10,000 just for labour but by the looks of things a ls3 or ls2 might be the go, and a fair bit cheaper to.

i spoke to heath a year or two ago and he said it would be somewhere round 22 - 25,000 depending on the cost of the motor and box and like you said truckster the aussie dollar was worth sweet f$%k all back then. so was hopeing things may have become a little cheaper.

does anybody no of anybody in brissy that does ls3 conversions ?? i know marks does the kits for them but im not to sure of anywhere to get the work done would be good to talk to someone to get an idea on money and turn around time for the whole thing

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
thanks guys i was hopeing the cost would be somewhere round $10,000 just for LABOURbut by the looks of things a ls3 or ls2 might be the go, and a fair bit cheaper to.

i spoke to heath a year or two ago and he said it would be somewhere round 22 - 25,000 depending on the cost of the motor and box and like you said truckster the aussie dollar was worth sweet f$%k all back then. so was hopeing things may have become a little cheaper.

does anybody no of anybody in brissy that does ls3 conversions ?? i know marks does the kits for them but im not to sure of anywhere to get the work done would be good to talk to someone to get an idea on money and turn around time for the whole thing
Your probably pretty close there $10,000 just for labour (depending on who does it), but then there's parts which will be another $10,000 to $20,000 depending on which way you go and where you get them from.

I agree with truckster and hey hey, if your gonna put a Duramax into something you'd wanna be driving it a bit more often then the odd comp here and there, unless money is no object off course.

Edit: just wanted to add, an ls2, ls3 conversion with auto is around 20 - 25 k drive in drive out, well it was when I was looking into it anyway.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Weekend warrior
Small block Chev all the way
Cheap to buy,cheap for parts,extracting HP is fairly easy

Probably the most massed produced motor in the world

1 - 16 of 16 Posts