Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There ,
I have a 2006 Patrol GU with 69000km on the clock , mods are 3" exhaust boost controler and snorkel , i recently got it Dynoed and was concerned with the outcome ,it gave 130.5KW on the engine and about 412.5 Nm , EGT temp was 678c and was averaging 20.00 A/F ratio of diesel .

Can somebody please let me know what would be the ideal EGT temp when running the car as well as the acceptable A/F Ratio on Diesel .

The Tunning place recomended to get my pump re calibrated as apparently it is over fueling , i'm a bit hesitant in doing this as the car is only 70000km old and has been regularly serviced every 5000km plus considering it will cost almost $1500 to do the job

Any advise will be much appreciated

Thanks

:(:(:(

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Where is your sender for your EGT Gauge? Pre or post turbo - makes a world of difference.

plenty of threads on EGTs.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
What boost you running, sounds like you could just wind the boost up a tad to use up some of the fuel,

My 2000 coil cab would run to 900c when it was stock under a big load, wound the turbo upto 15psi and settled egts around 500-550

get some more air in the sucker

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
Hello There ,
I have a 2006 Patrol GU with 69000km on the clock , mods are 3" exhaust boost controler and snorkel , i recently got it Dynoed and was concerned with the outcome ,it gave 130.5KW on the engine and about 412.5 Nm , EGT temp was 678c and was averaging 20.00 A/F ratio of diesel .

Can somebody please let me know what would be the ideal EGT temp when running the car as well as the acceptable A/F Ratio on Diesel .

The Tunning place recomended to get my pump re calibrated as apparently it is over fueling , i'm a bit hesitant in doing this as the car is only 70000km old and has been regularly serviced every 5000km plus considering it will cost almost $1500 to do the job

Any advise will be much appreciated

Thanks

:(:(:(
Let me guess that this has all been done on a STD unmodified turbocharger???

·
Registered
141 Posts
What boost you running, sounds like you could just wind the boost up a tad to use up some of the fuel,

My 2000 coil cab would run to 900c when it was stock under a big load, wound the turbo upto 15psi and settled egts around 500-550

get some more air in the sucker
I agree with turbogu, Unfortunately in your case you should of had it dyno'd by someone who could tune your diesel also. If its chaffing out the smoke under load or towards the peak of the revs, the pump could just need backing off a bit, it could also be a blocked or partially blocked air cleaner? check if it has a pre-cleaner aswell? have you changed from a factory aircleaner to an aftermarket one that is finer which isnt allowing enough air into the engine causing poor combustion resulting in higher EGT's? Is there a restriction in your snorkel? Blocked muffler? kinked tail pipe or exhaust? Even try free revving it to see if the intake hose's are sucking flat?

As for it being the stock Factory turbo? they have been tested and proven and ive heard of many people winding the pump up and running max boost they get up to 25psi boost! How long they last i dunno? 10 to 15psi EGT's under 500-550 degrees your sweet. But if you are looking for more power then definately upgrade to a bigger ballbearing or better turbo!

Remember before you had the new 3" exhaust the EGT's would of been higher again!!
Mr nissan and you were both happy with that for the last 60,000k's So getting them down lower and increasing the boost and fuel accordingly can only help in the long run.

Remember with deisels Smoke is not power! and u need fuel to make boost! :wink:

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
As for it being the stock Factory turbo? they have been tested and proven and ive heard of many people winding the pump up and running max boost they get up to 25psi boost! How long they last i dunno? :wink:

Yes they have been proven and tested and in STD form they are junk, anything over 15-16 Psi it turns into a heat pump and becomes very inefficient.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes they have been proven and tested and in STD form they are junk, anything over 15-16 Psi it turns into a heat pump and becomes very inefficient.

ToughDiesels,

You may be right? From my own experience I couldn't honestly quote that as i havent seen that happen nor pushed a std turbo that far.
But i do know that if you let a factory turbo breathe better intake and exhaust wise the EGT's will go down and it will perform better!

pinoy2its EGT's are high much higher than i would ever push both my TD42's i was offering advise to drop these and to help tune the engine better. If pinoy2its wanted more power than his factory turbo could produce at 15-16psi with EGT's under 500-550 degrees without turning into a heat pump as you have stated then for sure upgrade to a bigger better ball bearing turbo like i stated. I didn't think he was looking for a massive power upgrade just advise on what a healthy TD42 runs like? i may of been wrong?
I still dont think the factory turbo's are junk for most peoples needs.

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
ToughDiesels,

You may be right? From my own experience I couldn't honestly quote that as i havent seen that happen nor pushed a std turbo that far.
But i do know that if you let a factory turbo breathe better intake and exhaust wise the EGT's will go down and it will perform better!

pinoy2its EGT's are high much higher than i would ever push both my TD42's i was offering advise to drop these and to help tune the engine better. If pinoy2its wanted more power than his factory turbo could produce at 15-16psi with EGT's under 500-550 degrees without turning into a heat pump as you have stated then for sure upgrade to a bigger better ball bearing turbo like i stated. I didn't think he was looking for a massive power upgrade just advise on what a healthy TD42 runs like? i may of been wrong?
I still dont think the factory turbo's are junk for most peoples needs.
Correct for most peoples needs they are fine but if its only getting to 500-550C post trubo on a sustained load it aint making enough power. A TD42 will run into the 600's when close to max power from the setup is achieved.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys thanks for all your great reply , a lot of information there , i was not realy after a massive power gain all i want to make sure is that i'm running my engine in the most efficient and economical way thats why i opted for all this minor upgrade on a stock turbo , I'm only making sure that the car is tunned properly as it is a touring car so just making sure .

The Egt sender was installed post turbo
Air cleaner is now a K&N unit (running paper ones on tour )
from memory i'm running 13psi boost (Gauge not installed yet)

Would love to increase the boost to the maximum safe setting

Thanks Guys much appreciated

:D:D:D

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would be fairly uncomfortable with nearly 700 c post turbo.
You could turn the fuel screw down. Does it blow lots of black smoke when you give a a boot full?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hello ,
No not too much smoke , noticable only when engine under load specially when its cold shifting from 1st gear to second

Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan GU 06 st coil cab
6 Posts
my ute runs 16 psi all day long with egt not past 500degrees and the gauges has been calibrated with the sensor on the ute 3inch pipes on it and i do bulk beach work it loves. dont listen to blokes that have not run these setups get a great tune and it will blow v8 landcruiser's out of this world. p.s J C Diesel know how to tune a ute peww pews.......

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
my ute runs 16 psi all day long with egt not past 500degrees and the gauges has been calibrated with the sensor on the ute 3inch pipes on it and i do bulk beach work it loves. dont listen to blokes that have not run these setups get a great tune and it will blow v8 landcruiser's out of this world. p.s J C Diesel know how to tune a ute peww pews.......
Lol, there was no where in this topic saying it whont do it. More along the line's of it's pointless.

Blowing cruiser haha try blowing commodores !!!!!

All while sitting on 380deg post turbo

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
Hahaha, this makes me laugh. I know its quite an achievement in a diesel and mine wouldn't go close, but taking merit from beating a moo powered commodore just had me laughing.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Nappy,
You've dug up a thread that's 2 years old. Why?
I'm guessing the bloke has solved his issues by now.
I see you're new here. Have a look around. You might find that toughdiesels has some experience with tuning too.
Welcome to the forum.

Lol. I think it's funny that some blokes want to beat commos.
Who buys a Patrol so that they can win a traffic light grand prix?

·
nissan
7,539 Posts
Nappy,
You've dug up a thread that's 2 years old. Why?
I'm guessing the bloke has solved his issues by now.
I see you're new here. Have a look around. You might find that toughdiesels has some experience with tuning too.
Welcome to the forum.

Lol. I think it's funny that some blokes want to beat commos.
Who buys a Patrol so that they can win a traffic light grand prix?
Not me...... Don't do lights mate. Because obviously don't find humor out of P platers in the crap boxes thinking there all cool. Shyts and giggles

·
nissan
7,539 Posts
Hahaha, this makes me laugh. I know its quite an achievement in a diesel and mine wouldn't go close, but taking merit from beating a moo powered commodore just had me laughing.
Was only trying too state a point.

Maybe should have said that the cruisers I drive every day for work couldn't pull the skin of a dumpling. And are far from impressive so buddy it's nothing to be proud of.......

Is that better for ya's

Lol

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
There is a v8 toyota ute in town that has stickers on the bonnet bulge that say 'GU ETA'. Im dying to give them a run.
I know a guy with a landcruiser that has blonissn on his plates. Only thing he blows is diffs:p

Sent from my phone so spelling doesn't matter

1 - 20 of 38 Posts