Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have recently purchased a ti y62 and are considering installing a front locker I’ve had air lockers but thought ide try something different has anyone had any probs with he e locker?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
I've had front and rear airlockers on previous 4by, the std rear in my old GUII works fine and some years ago I topped it off with a front E-Locker, man I love it, actually gave it a workout last weekend. Assume it will work just as well in a Y62.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
I have elockers front and rear. I've had the electromagnet fail in the front one, however I was told by the repair shop that it's exceptionally rare that they fail. They do unlock and lock when you go from forward to reverse, but unless you stomp the accellerator (and you have a lot of power) when changing directions this isn't even noticeable, let alone an issue.

·
Registered
nissan
143 Posts
Love my front E Locker. Never had an issue with it. I have never had air lockers and dont think I would bother with them.

·
Registered
All work done the hard way
438 Posts
I have a front e-locker and it has been great. Only need 1 x 12V connection to turn it on/off, no air lines to get ripped out or leak, no need for air tank and compressor. When I was considering the options (air locker vs. e-locker) the e-locker was actually cheaper once you factor in all the accessories you need to run an air locker.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
I have a front e-locker and it has been great. Only need 1 x 12V connection to turn it on/off, no air lines to get ripped out or leak, no need for air tank and compressor. When I was considering the options (air locker vs. e-locker) the e-locker was actually cheaper once you factor in all the accessories you need to run an air locker.
Edzackery, on my old 4by I had a separate pump under the passenger seat, air lines everywhere for front and back lockers, this E system is far more simple, I love it.

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
988 Posts
Don’t they disengage when you reverse and then take time to reengage? Seem plenty of you tube videos showing this does happen .

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
Never even noticed.
Me neither, the only thing I need to do after switching it off is to reverse about 4-5m to make it disengage, I've reversed while it was engaged and not had that happen, the only small downside is the heaviness of the steering and if it did disengage you would know it straight away.

·
Registered
All work done the hard way
438 Posts
Me neither, the only thing I need to do after switching it off is to reverse about 4-5m to make it disengage, I've reversed while it was engaged and not had that happen, the only small downside is the heaviness of the steering and if it did disengage you would know it straight away.
I hadn't noticed that either (having to reverse to get it to disengage)… but you're right, you definitely know when it's on due to the heavy steering. I love it

·
Registered
nissan
143 Posts
Don’t they disengage when you reverse and then take time to reengage? Seem plenty of you tube videos showing this does happen .

Good video from Harrop. The unlocking and locking has never been an issue for me and I have never had to reverse to get the front to unlock.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts

Good video from Harrop. The unlocking and locking has never been an issue for me and I have never had to reverse to get the front to unlock.
Locking has never been an issue for me, only the unlocking when back on good terra firma and switched off, it is about the pins, if there is load on them they may not retract immediately thus requiring a bit of reverse to unload, sometimes I don't need to reverse others I do, you can certainly feel it in the steering if it hasn't unlocked. It is no big deal anyway.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you have to reverse to get it to unlock i cant see that as 'working well'. What happes if halfway up a track you need your steering again but arent in a position to reverse.

And as far as air lines everywhere to rip out. How is 1 air line different to 1 electrical wire? In my eyes if you dont have an air compressor you shouldnt be locking your hubs in so would be my first accessory for a 4wd.

Having said that i understand not everyone wants to hard mount their compressor.
Also i understand air leaks can be a pain with an air locker.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
If you have to reverse to get it to unlock i cant see that as 'working well'. What happes if halfway up a track you need your steering again but arent in a position to reverse.

And as far as air lines everywhere to rip out. How is 1 air line different to 1 electrical wire? In my eyes if you dont have an air compressor you shouldnt be locking your hubs in so would be my first accessory for a 4wd.

Having said that i understand not everyone wants to hard mount their compressor.
Also i understand air leaks can be a pain with an air locker.
Mate none of this has been an issue for me and I've had the e-locker for years, driven on many surfaces in many conditions and no problems, you don't 'lose' your steering.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,930 Posts
My son has an e locker in the front of his GU. He has had some engagement issues.

I will stick to my ratchet locker.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
To sum up, I can only go from my personal experience, I have had both on 2 different vehicles and given both options a good workout and had no issues whatsoever with either, both performed beautifully. As said one had air lockers front and rear, the Trol has E-Locker in front only. The reason I went for E-Locker in the front of the Trol is the std rear H260 is a pearler, so front was the only end to be upgraded, when I seriously looked at both options the E-Locker was just so simple, end of story from my personal perspective.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
A Broken electrical wire is much, much easier (less time and no spare parts reqiired) to repair trackside than a leaking or torn off air hose.

Secondly, you can't just use any old air compressor to run air lockers. You need one with a reciever tank that switches on and off automatically to retain pressure in the tank for a setup that is as easy to use as an elocker. You also need solenoid valves and additional wiring to make it all work, all of which are points of failure which elockers don't have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A Broken electrical wire is much, much easier (less time and no spare parts reqiired) to repair trackside than a leaking or torn off air hose.

Secondly, you can't just use any old air compressor to run air lockers. You need one with a reciever tank that switches on and off automatically to retain pressure in the tank for a setup that is as easy to use as an elocker. You also need solenoid valves and additional wiring to make it all work, all of which are points of failure which elockers don't have.
Thanks Neardood1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts