Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never ceases to amaze me at how dumb some people are on ebay

eg there's this mad rush on people bidding for double USB charging sockets for cars - 20 people and rising.

they're now bidding for this item over what you can buy it now for elsewhere.....

I realise its not a cattle station, but geez, hasn't it occurred to the tailenders to go and do a search and see what they can buy it for now rather than get ebay "bidding fever" ??

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
Aaaaaand then they retract their bid at the last minute so you only get a quarter of what it's worth

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
i dont even remember the last time i bid on something and i think half those bids are fake ones, the sellers usually have something for a few hundred and 1 starting at 99cents, instead of people putting bids on the 99 cent ones the seem to go sky high in the last day or so, i think its a set up

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
One of the reasons why ebay may go down as the business idea of the millenium... the very best businesses (as far as the ones that make the money) are the ones that prey on human nature. That combination of 'aquisition' and 'win' is what makes auctions in general work, and to be able to do that in the comfort of your home...

I first heard about ebay when I was having an internet romance with a Norwegian babe who was studying in Washington State (different to the US capital). This was around 1999/2000. She bought a 6 month old VCR on ebay for $70 US, at the time they were $450+ new. Back then it was truly a place to get a bargain. I used it from then till 2005 or so with good results, since then it's become a lot harder to get a bargain. The deals are still there; you need to be consistent with your searches and know the value of what you're chasing.

You also need to be creative with your search terms. I've found bargains by leaving one "n" out of "Cannondale", and by opening searches up to a single word and then slogging through miles of listings. A good example of that - I found a Yamaha factory 1999-2002 single seat cowl under a listing of "Yamaha seat cover", and this is a very rare item - I paid $60 for it and it's worth $250+

Like any auction, the only rule is to go in knowing your limit. And with ebay I learned long ago to simply put a bid up for what the maximum I was prepared to pay was, and forget about it. If I won it, good, if not, there's always another one.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Yep, few bargains to be had these days. Mostly vendors peddling the same stuff as dozens of others. Too true about the morons who bid higher than a buy it now in the next listing down the page. I think the bargains have dried up due to the huge selling fees and potential for a seller to lose money even 6 months after a sale with the buyer protection that is available. It's great for us buyers but not for very low volume sellers.

I let a sniping tool do the work for me. Enter max bid, and with 2 seconds to go, the bid is made if the price isn't already higher.

I started out with Sold.com.au which was taken over by E-Bay years ago.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I just set and forget if i win it great. If not, no biggy. Only bid exactly what its worth to you.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Worth noting here that ebay and Paypal are separating (becoming separate entities). So if you use both, pay attention to what might change.

Also worth noting that ebay owns Gumtree, and has for some time been working to make Gumtree the place for used stuff, and ebay the place for new stuff (they can make more money out of new stuff retailers than used stuff retailers).

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
And if you're wondering what's the difference between ebay and Gumtree (as I did), here's some clues from someone who's used both extensively:

ebay is still what it always was, people seem to have a reasonable level of respect for the transaction, whether seller or buyer

Gumtree has a lot of people who'll say they'll come and look/buy but you never hear from them again, most people offer way lower than what you ask (even though you've got a reasonably market-value price on the item)

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
It probably the seller with another account bumping the price up until he reaches every ones max bid. I've done it for a mate selling a gen set to get the price up, it didn't sell. Unfortunately ebay still wants me to pay the $40k to the seller. I must get onto him about cancelling the sale.

·
Registered
Nissan
94 Posts
In Weipa a lot of people use Facebook groups for selling things to locals. There even is a 'Sell' button which gives you a form to fill out. It works very effectively and good competition for ebay/Gumtree. No one seems to use Gumtree up here.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
HAHAHA.....speaking of auctions, went to one just outside of town last week. Manly ag gear.
There was a 2006 Hyundai Accent that came up, rough as guts, looked like it had been used as a rally car. Bidding started at $100, at about $1500 it was down to two blokes. You could see they were trying to out do each other, in the end it sold for $6250.
The silly thing is that 2ks away the local car yard had a really tidy one in their yard 2009 for $4999.

The auctioneer had a huge smile on his face. Not sure if it was the bump in his commision or the sight of these two warriors going at it.....lol.

Cheers.....Lionel.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
i find facebook useless for selling things just full of time wasters and people only want to swap you crap for things not money, "would you swap your gu patrol for me auto vt commodore with stockies on the back"

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HAHAHA.....speaking of auctions, went to one just outside of town last week. Manly ag gear.
There was a 2006 Hyundai Accent that came up, rough as guts, looked like it had been used as a rally car. Bidding started at $100, at about $1500 it was down to two blokes. You could see they were trying to out do each other, in the end it sold for $6250.
The silly thing is that 2ks away the local car yard had a really tidy one in their yard 2009 for $4999.

The auctioneer had a huge smile on his face. Not sure if it was the bump in his commision or the sight of these two warriors going at it.....lol.

Cheers.....Lionel.
geez, the local recycler has been flogging off Lantras etc as rally cars $300 ea :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like any auction, the only rule is to go in knowing your limit. And with ebay I learned long ago to simply put a bid up for what the maximum I was prepared to pay was, and forget about it. If I won it, good, if not, there's always another one.
yep, I have a "walk away" bid - I wait till I get the "you have won" or "you didn't win" email rather than get frantic over one auction :)

·
Registered
Nissan 2002 GU TD42 Coil Cab
255 Posts
never ceases to amaze me at how dumb some people are on ebay

eg there's this mad rush on people bidding for double USB charging sockets for cars - 20 people and rising.

they're now bidding for this item over what you can buy it now for elsewhere.....

I realise its not a cattle station, but geez, hasn't it occurred to the tailenders to go and do a search and see what they can buy it for now rather than get ebay "bidding fever" ??
Do I fall into this category, $20.70 for mine? :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do I fall into this category, $20.70 for mine? :)
as long as you're happy that's all that matters in the end..... it was a comment more about the psychology of the tail end rush.... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts