Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy one tonight... Northern4x4 seems to be the one popping up mainly.. are these kits any good?

Or is there another seller with a better quality kit?

Chasing the standard Dawes kit and EGR blank block off deal.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
The owner from northern 4x4 is a patrol owner and is definitely a reliable seller. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Performance Accessories - Performance

I think they have pulled the dawes valves from sale due to so many having to go back for warranty but they do keep the HPD ones in stock.

Just double check with them they may still have Dawes ones left in stock even though its not on their web site.

·
Registered
nissan
197 Posts
i bought mine from northern 4x4. all works exactly as it is supposed to. i used the write ups on here for setting the dawes and needle valve as they were a little more thorough. i think his write up tells you the wrong way to set the dawes valve or maybe it was me reading it wrong after nightshift.

Reactions: Softy

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
What was his instructions to set up the Dawes matt? Im interested to know his method. needle closed or dropped away from VNT stop screw?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
What was his instructions to set up the Dawes matt? Im interested to know his method. needle closed or dropped away from VNT stop screw?
As you know Muzz I always set the Dawes outright boost with the needle valve closed, then adjust needle to suit conditions, with the occasional vehicle we have never needed to use the needle, but it is still handy to have.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Yes same here, needle closed. Just interested to see what ol mate setup is.

·
Registered
nissan
197 Posts
i cant remember off the top of my head mate. when i get back from work on friday, ill take a photo of the instructions. his setup for the needle valve was to idle the car and adjust it out from completely closed till the VNT arm moved down about a quarter inch. the dawes setup was just a try it first and see i think then adjust from there. there wasnt an initial setup to do before trying the dawes for the first time. i think he had the way that the dawes is adjusted ass about.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Dawes in my hot little hands..:D

I can try take a pic of his destruction's and post it up if you guys want to see how he says to do it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
I have Dawes in my hot little hands..:D

I can try take a pic of his destruction's and post it up if you guys want to see how he says to do it.
Don't worry about it just do it by the drawings, set the Dawes with needle closed then adjust the needle to suit the spoolup you want, if you don't get any limp with the needle closed then you can run like that if you wish, never had a failure yet............

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't worry about it just do it by the drawings, set the Dawes with needle closed then adjust the needle to suit the spoolup you want, if you don't get any limp with the needle closed then you can run like that if you wish, never had a failure yet............
Cheers...

I'll do it that way.. I have boost by no Pyro yet... But been playing with turbo (petrol) engines for years.. So going off the boost gauge i should be fine with getting it set up without stupid EGT's.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not that i want to screw 18psi into mine just yet... But i am interested have you done anything fuel wise? Could i set mine up (stock) to 18psi? I am thinking 15psi max for now untill i get my head around it all.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
Not that i want to screw 18psi into mine just yet... But i am interested have you done anything fuel wise? Could i set mine up (stock) to 18psi? I am thinking 15psi max for now untill i get my head around it all.
Yes, it gets complicated, I have my 15 year old DTronic and my JayCar MAF voltage interceptor to add even more fuel when I'm not looping limp zones. Mate I would start of aiming for 14psi and get used to that for a few days then slowly try raising it to 15 then 16 to see if you bring on limp at any point, normally just under 2500 and then just under 3000 is where it happens, it can also happen just under 3500 but you need to be trying fairly hard for that one, if it's a genuine Dawes with the HD spring do it half turn at a time once you hit 14psi.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok cheers for that... Feel like such a n00b.. been reading all the tech articles.. so much info to take in.... I wish Dronus was around. :lol:

Decided i'm going to go with Loctite copper gasket to seal the EGR plate.. Also i need to buy another t-peice tomorrow so i can pick the boost up for the dawes from the same place in the Hot Pipe from the turbo my boost gauge is tapped into.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Softy has been bitten by the bug.

Be warned

Your Farked!

Hahahahaha.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Just looks like some fancy looking type to keep the rice boys happy.
Yes, I figure that it is just a fancy housing for a small spring and a ball bearing just like the Dawes valve. Simple but effective Dawes, does not look flash but just works well.

I have found that once I have got it set then I just leave it alone or I would be forever fiddling with the adjustment.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
I talked them down before I had tried one sighting they were identical in design how could they work differently.

Well they do, what ever it is. Either the weight or surface area of the ball + the spring difference means they just do it better.
As much as I hate the price I would rather it be expensive and work well than cheap and not work properly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts