Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an ARB alloy roof basket really worth three times the price of an eBay alloy one?

I know the old saying is poor man pays twice. But we aren't talking a couple of hundred dollars difference. It's a $1000 difference!

I'm in shock to be honest.

What's your opinion?

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
having personally seen at least 1 of these ebay ones up close and personal and fark me they are rough. the mesh is super sharp on the bottom side. they arnt exactly straight and the list goes on.
they work and would do the job but far out they are rough as a tough muts guts.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU iii
434 Posts
I think the big difference is the ARB has full length bracket that rests in the rails whereas the cheapies have 4 x 10cm ish mounts on each side.

The full rails spread the load better. I have one of the cheapies though ( Roof Racks , 4WD & Outdoor Products - Australia )and no problems so far with rooftop tent on it plus loaded with other gear.

Oh and could buy 4 for the price i paid vs one ARB.

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
find a good one second hand. set up a bunch of searches on gumtree/ebay for arb, tracklander, etc etc. i bought a flash one second hand for $600.

·
Registered
nissan
375 Posts
I got a powerful4x4 aluminium one for $255 (ebay auction) and was delivered for just over $400 (CQ). I'm sure its the same as most ebay ones. It does the job, seems pretty strong. However it is rough, The mesh has come loose a bit from the cross bars. I think it was only the paint holding it on in the first place. I had to buy new stainless bolts for the rails to the rack. However, pretty happy with it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
It has been a while but I remember doing my trip across AU up through the Kimberleys and down the west coast, and finding many of the tracks littered with fiberglass canopies, cheap trailers and aluminium roof racks, with regard to the last one, there is aluminium and then there is aluminium, these days the varieties of aluminium are even greater, some weld good some weld not so good off course this still also depends on the skill of the operator. I had an aluminium rack on my truck at the time with a boat on the top but it was a name brand rack and I paid for the privilege, but I finished the trip without issue.

It all comes down to homework, particularly on the more expensive items and something that can absolutely ruin your day if it fails, you already know the comment the poor man pays twice, if you go into a transaction armed with all the info you can gain you are much better off, if companies won't give you info, simply don't buy.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I have seen that some cheap roof racks caused rust issues on the roof, as metal filings kept dropping down and then rusting on the roof.

You really to inspect both and compare. Second hand ARB roof racks are common

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
The cheap one's sit that far off the roof you will be taking out plane's. They look like crap. Pay the money mate you wil be much happier that you did once you have seen one

·
Registered
nissan
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for the feedback. Glad I asked on here first. I've just spent $1800 on reduction gears, then I'm spending almost 4k on drawers, so the ARB basket will have to wait till next time.
Will avoid the cheapies!

·
Registered
Nissan
508 Posts
ARB racks are $hit. There I said it. Whats the point in a roof rack that is just several bars across the roof? Might as well just have Rhino racks.

I've had a steel cheapy for about 4 years, hasn't let me down yet. It's not the prettiest thing out there but if it breaks I'll throw it out and buy another one. I could do this several times and still be in front in dollar terms compared to ARB.

·
Registered
nissan
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ARB racks are $hit. There I said it. Whats the point in a roof rack that is just several bars across the roof? Might as well just have Rhino racks.

I've had a steel cheapy for about 4 years, hasn't let me down yet. It's not the prettiest thing out there but if it breaks I'll throw it out and buy another one. I could do this several times and still be in front in dollar terms compared to ARB.
I'm confused, or you are...
These are the racks I'm talking about?

·
Registered
Nissan
508 Posts
Well there ya go, the ones I've seen didn't have me sh. My point is still valid. :skull:

·
Registered
nissan
1,429 Posts
Why? So you can steal my car? Haha
thats a bit rough Ive bought stuff from gassed and its been a pleasure I hope you don't need his help now
Oscar

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
653 Posts
To the OP, in essence you are paying for the name, hence the big price. There are a a lot of racks around with just as good as build and finish for far less coin, you just have to shop around. I bought a brand new cheap alloy full size made in china one and its been great, good welds and finish for less than half the price of a ARB equivalent.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Well I was going to offer you a place in perth that build alloy racks for 800 and offer assistance with shipping but got better things to do it seems. Suvks to be you

·
Registered
nissan patrol 03
25 Posts
I got shown the rhino racks today and i thought they looked pretty good and very versatile with ability to have full cage and half etc

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've had the ARB rack and it was great, expensive but great. I've switched now to Rhino racks on the car full time and when heading off attach a roof basket. I reckon the Set up is far lighter than the ARB, saves me on fuel (ever so slightly) and the roof is easier to wash. Also a lot cheaper. I'd never go back to a full length rack. Horse for course though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts