Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First heard of this a month or so ago from a mate OS, has been very quiet until now, 2 Americans contracting the disease has upped the anti. Man this is the type of thing movies are made of with over 60% fatality rate. Not something we want sneaking into our country, but difficult to detect. There will need to be great scrutiny of where people travel prior to entry into AU if this takes a hold in a well traveled destination.

The worst thing with this is in these places is that it takes out the very people who are treating the sick.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/ebola-outbreak-what-you-need-to-know-1.1934256

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
It's not a nice thing to say, but this is just the sort of thing the human race needs to control our population explosion.
Like I've always said, the worst thing that could happen in the whole world would be if someone discovered a cure for cancer.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Why is it always Africa. I tell you why because the have sub standard conditions and its stinking all over the continent. The weather does not help. They never get a good freeze to kill of the germs.

Our Daily update as were in Africa. Its now made its way into Ethiopia.

Ethiopia
SSA Health Bulletin
Ebola warning and guidance
There is currently an outbreak of Ebola virus in Guinea and suspected cases in Liberia and Sierra Leone. Ebola is spread by contact with the blood or other bodily fluids (especially vomit, diarrhoea) of infected or dead people.
Those at high risk are:
• Healthcare workers
• Family or others caring for sick people
• Family or others managing the bodies of those who have died
• Those attending funerals (as there often a requirement to wash the body)
Business travelers and expatriates not involved in these activities, are at low risk.
Advice
Travelers to any destinations in Sub-Saharan Africa should check their destination's page(s) on the International SOS website prior to travel and confirm the current conditions.
• Do not visit the affected areas.
• Pay strict attention to hygiene.
• Avoid hospitals
• Avoid funerals
• Avoid contact with sick people and their bodily fluids.
• Avoid contact with animals, especially primates.
• Do not eat "bush meat" (wild animals, including primates, sold for consumption as food in local markets)
What is Ebola?
Ebola is a rare, serious viral disease that infects humans and other primates. It may be transmitted to humans when they eat meat or have other contact with infected animals. Infected people can spread the disease to others, as the virus is present in body fluids such as blood, saliva, and urine. The disease incubates for 2-21 days before symptoms develop suddenly. Early symptoms of Ebola include fever, headache, muscle pain and weakness. Other symptoms may involve a rash, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea. Bleeding occurs in some cases which can lead to shock, massive hemorrhage and death. Approximately 25 to 90 percent of all infected people die. There is no vaccination against Ebola and no cure for the disease.

Africa is a dirty place. I never been to anywhere clean in Africa apart from 4 star hotels, company owned staff houses and the desert where humans don't go. Everywhere is as they say stinking.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not a nice thing to say, but this is just the sort of thing the human race needs to control our population explosion.
Like I've always said, the worst thing that could happen in the whole world would be if someone discovered a cure for cancer.
Hmmm! I find that maybe a little harsh seeing as the vast majority of my close past family members have succumbed to that disease.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Hmmm! I find that maybe a little harsh seeing as the vast majority of my close past family members have succumbed to that disease.
I'm sincerely sorry to hear that mate, I too have lost close family members to cancer.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
AIDS spread growing and bubonic plague in china were in the news lately aswell.

Is this the beginning of the end?

Goes to show how much the human race controls. Were all doooooomed (thick scottish accent there)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
approx 25-90% of people die from it.

WTF kind of percentage is that.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dbsep, yes that could be a part of it but also don't forget that there is a lot of undisturbed land around, similar to parts of South America where there are still ancient viruses and bacteria in the soil that have layed there for milenia just waiting to be disturbed.

approx 25-90% of people die from it.
WTF kind of percentage is that.
The current rate is 62%

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,708 Posts
Why is it always Africa. I tell you why because the have sub standard conditions and its stinking all over the continent. The weather does not help. They never get a good freeze to kill of the germs.

I work with guys that have been in Chad, Angola, Nigeria....not many have good things to say:D

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
I flew into Lagos airport less than 14hrs after the bloke collapsed. As we flew in direct from Amsterdam with no stop overs in Africa we were waved through, which was a blessing as usually it's a major hassle getting through the place.

But all the other African flights were corralled and given a heavy going over and anyone with a slight temperature was being led off by people in moon suits.

So far all good (he says nervously) ...

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
dbsep, yes that could be a part of it but also don't forget that there is a lot of undisturbed land around, similar to parts of South America where there are still ancient viruses and bacteria in the soil that have layed there for milenia just waiting to be disturbed.

Thats a good way of putting and I agree. I had forgotten that.

Avoid contact with animals, especially primates - The kiwi's will not be happy about this as they have a bit of love affair for woolly animals at night.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
It should remind us that though we might think we are masters of our own world, mother nature is more than happy to give us a bit of a smack to remind us who is boss and when we should be more respectful.

The CDC website or promedmail.org probably have the best info on the outbreak. The major infomercial channels will probably have us all dead by Thursday and the beginning of a zombie apocalypse by tea time Saturday .

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
Don't forget Ebola Reston has been sourced to the Philippines. This strain seems not to effect humans but is equally devastating to simians.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Well in the Philippines I haven't heard of a single case to date. But as they do eat some strange animals in the tribal area's were they still hunt monkeys, eagles and lizards anything can possible.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
DB the kiwi's don't really have an issue because the sheep are not primates, Placental mammals, but not primates, however they have other pressing issues of much more concern, such as man eating Zombie mutant sheep, Black Sheep - Man attacked by a mutated sheep - YouTube apparently it is a real thing, it is on Youtube....

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,554 Posts
I've had Ebola three times in the last five years.

The missus called it man-flu and told me to harden up.

I was lucky to come good at all, despite her attitude the the seriousness of the situation.

Pfft.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 82 Posts