Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day Fellas,

I'm in the market for a chainsaw a bit bigger than the crappy little GMC jobbie i've got for firewood.

I can't afford a stihl or husky, and i know they're the best, but i'm not gonna hang around to save the cash.

Lookin at an echo at the moment, I think they're pretty similar to a shindawai and i've heard bloody good things about the shindy.

Anyone used an echo? What you reckon?

TF

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Just went through the same thing not so long ago.
Really wanted stihl or husky but was $$$ short..

Went Bunnings and got McCulloch M4620 - 46cc with 20" bar - couldn't be happier... so much grunt and not so dear and when and if it goes i'll throw it in the bin and get a new one.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't suppose you wanna sell the ms250 for $400 then do ya jacket?

haha

I'm not too keen on buying one of those real china jobbies.... i'll watch that husky though, but it'll probably sky rocket.

TF

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
7,263 Posts
chinese saws have there place. I have done a lot of work with the one i have, but it does not get used much now, as i have a 066, it just eats anything in it's way.

but don't not look at a chinese, if the price is right. Just watch the easy start ones. there a pain in the a hole. I filled mine up with bog to stop the easy start thing.

echo are a great saw, just keep looking you'll find somthing. I got my 066 for $200 other wise i would not have it, i can't afford 2k for a saw

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hey mate,

I have this saw and i love it. i have done a fair bit with it and it starts first go every time. It has an external chain adjuster which is the preferred setup for the pros and this saw is a winner.

The External Chain bar adjuster allows you to de-tension the chain and remove the bar and chain from the saw in the case of a bar jamb and attach the saw to another bar to recover the first. Most of the cheaper ones this is not possible and if push comes to shove in the bush you would have to leave your saw stuck in a log and walk away and hope it is still there when you come back with something to recover it.

I did an accredited Chain Saw Operators course last summer thorugh the DSE and took my saw in for assessment. The guys reckon they are a GREAT thing. Behind ONLY Stihl and Huski!

That is a bargain i reckon mate and this is not a Bunnings job mate.

You get a Thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I bought an 075 about twenty years ago from a pawn broker. Cost me 200 bucks back then. (replacement price back then was $1200) Magic saw. Heaps of power and easy to start with a compression release valve.
Had it for about 10 years and cut most of my fire wood with it every year. Sold it when I moved and didnt have a fire any more. Got a small sthil now. But the Echo was a great saw.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey mate,

I have this saw and i love it. i have done a fair bit with it and it starts first go every time. It has an external chain adjuster which is the preferred setup for the pros and this saw is a winner.

The External Chain bar adjuster allows you to de-tension the chain and remove the bar and chain from the saw in the case of a bar jamb and attach the saw to another bar to recover the first. Most of the cheaper ones this is not possible and if push comes to shove in the bush you would have to leave your saw stuck in a log and walk away and hope it is still there when you come back with something to recover it.

I did an accredited Chain Saw Operators course last summer thorugh the DSE and took my saw in for assessment. The guys reckon they are a GREAT thing. Behind ONLY Stihl and Huski!

That is a bargain i reckon mate and this is not a Bunnings job mate.

You get a Thumbs up from me.

Yeh that's more what I wanted to hear. haha.

Thanks!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
4,691 Posts
You would be very surprised what a good small stihl saw will get
Even a stihl under $500 will do most things
Ive got a stihl 017 bought new 7 years ago, had half a dozen bar ,sprocket,chain replacements
Thats how much work it has done
The motor is still as strong as ever

Wouldnt buy anything other than a stihl or husky

The cheaper chinese saws will probably do for the occassional weekend adventure

Theres a thread not so long ago regarding chain saws

·
Registered
620 Posts
Echo make a great chainsaw. made in Japan. Very good quality. Allpower are the agents.

I have a CS6701 and an EVL900. Both brilliant saws. I have got a Husky as well but much prefer the Echo.

Only issue (minor) is they run .050 chain Husky run .058 and Stihl run .063. Can be a little bit more expensive. I buy mine off ebay and always keep a spare

·
Registered
377 Posts
check out the makita chainsaws, their actually german Dolmar chainsaws but sold in aus under the makita brand.

my local mower guy reckons that their every bit as good as stilh/husky and i would have to agree after giving my 7901 a work out. but the best thing would be that they cost significantly less than a stilh/husky

·
Registered
20,901 Posts
If the are as good as the brush cutters, it'll be a winner. (13 -15 yr old and one decarbon in that time)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts