Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys n Gals
Looking at buying a 22ft caravan and tow vehicle. Van will weigh around 2.5t loaded. Ball weight of 180 -200kg. Landcruiser are ridiculously priced. Looking at a 2016, 2017 Y62. Any indications of fuel economy that may help me make a choice. Both towing the van and in general everyday use?.

Cheers
Daniel

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,702 Posts
Hi Guys n Gals
Looking at buying a 22ft caravan and tow vehicle. Van will weigh around 2.5t loaded. Ball weight of 180 -200kg. Landcruiser are ridiculously priced. Looking at a 2016, 2017 Y62. Any indications of fuel economy that may help me make a choice. Both towing the van and in general everyday use?
Read and watch this:

·
Registered
nissan
363 Posts
As each new Patrol series has been released there has been reported improvement in fuel consumption. A 2016 model would be putting you in around a series 3.

Asking for fuel consumption is like opening a bag of worms. There are just to many variables. Tyre choice mud\all terrian\ standard, roof rack, bull bar, etc etc. AND not to mention the climate or terrain you drive in.

From my obersation while travelling with other 200 with similar set up I would be 5L to 7L per 100km more. Having towed a 21 ft off rd brick and a hard floor rear fold camper. I have a series 2. You can do the mass.

If come across a 200 owner who claims (which you will) 12L\15L per 100km towing @ 100 km per hr towing a 3.5t off rd van, please shake his hand for me and congratulated him on being a dead set professional driver..

Side point though wih out sounding rude, Both these vehicles heavy on fuel. If fuel really is a contributing factor there could be better options then either the 200 or Y62.

I love my Y62 and know I made the right choice for us when comparing these 2 vehicles. We live in Darwin and done a heap of off rd touring, Arham land, Cape York, Kimberly without issue.
Ps Unbelievably it is actually possible to buy Petrol when touring more the 100km from a magor city. Fancy that.

Joe

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
849 Posts
As each new Patrol series has been released there has been reported improvement in fuel consumption. A 2016 model would be putting you in around a series 3.

Asking for fuel consumption is like opening a bag of worms. There are just to many variables. Tyre choice mud\all terrian\ standard, roof rack, bull bar, etc etc. AND not to mention the climate or terrain you drive in.

From my obersation while travelling with other 200 with similar set up I would be 5L to 7L per 100km more. Having towed a 21 ft off rd brick and a hard floor rear fold camper. I have a series 2. You can do the mass.

If come across a 200 owner who claims (which you will) 12L\15L per 100km towing @ 100 km per hr towing a 3.5t off rd van, please shake his hand for me and congratulated him on being a dead set professional driver..

Side point though wih out sounding rude, Both these vehicles heavy on fuel. If fuel really is a contributing factor there could be better options then either the 200 or Y62.

I love my Y62 and know I made the right choice for us when comparing these 2 vehicles. We live in Darwin and done a heap of off rd touring, Arham land, Cape York, Kimberly without issue.
Ps Unbelievably it is actually possible to buy Petrol when touring more the 100km from a magor city. Fancy that.

Joe
Agreed any 200 series owner that tells you 13.5 -15 towing 3.5t is full of it. Its closer to 13.5 empty at 100 from my experience driving one.

·
Registered
nissan
29 Posts
Fuel yeah a 62 likes fuel a 5.6lt V8 and a 3T + vehicle it has to . My S4 Ti brand new stock std , driven straight from the dealer with 2 people and a full tank to the VicRoads weigh bridge was exactly 3T . I even weighed the dealers S3 Demo , it was just under 3T by about 40kg but didn't have a full tank .
I have done just over 38K a fair bit of that towing a Camper about 1.5T , I get just under 20LPH towing the Tvan .
I drive at the speed limit by GPS the Patrol speedo is about 9-10k fast at 100-110kph
Overall I have averaged about 18LPH maybe just under , I don't do much short running around town .
You will get 62 owners saying they get 12-14 LPH , yeah maybe possible in ideal conditions and taking things really easy but you will never average that overall . The dash computer fuel readout always shows better economy than actual , my last fill the dash said 15.8 , I crunched the numbers at 17.7LPH .
Something to consider is weight , its very easy to exceed GVM with both the 62 and 200 series .

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Aim for a s3.
You will use approx 20lph towing 2.5t @100

town will use high teens
Unloaded hw will use 11-14 pending conditions.
Just buy one and enjoy.
Don’t freak out on fuel, a 200 isn’t better enough to have ya mates suck you off over.
I drove a 200 once.. I didn’t enjoy it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel yeah a 62 likes fuel a 5.6lt V8 and a 3T + vehicle it has to . My S4 Ti brand new stock std , driven straight from the dealer with 2 people and a full tank to the VicRoads weigh bridge was exactly 3T . I even weighed the dealers S3 Demo , it was just under 3T by about 40kg but didn't have a full tank .
I have done just over 38K a fair bit of that towing a Camper about 1.5T , I get just under 20LPH towing the Tvan .
I drive at the speed limit by GPS the Patrol speedo is about 9-10k fast at 100-110kph
Overall I have averaged about 18LPH maybe just under , I don't do much short running around town .
You will get 62 owners saying they get 12-14 LPH , yeah maybe possible in ideal conditions and taking things really easy but you will never average that overall . The dash computer fuel readout always shows better economy than actual , my last fill the dash said 15.8 , I crunched the numbers at 17.7LPH .
Something to consider is weight , its very easy to exceed GVM with both the 62 and 200 series .
What's GCM on a Y62.??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,465 Posts
Agreed any 200 series owner that tells you 13.5 -15 towing 3.5t is full of it. Its closer to 13.5 empty at 100 from my experience driving one.
You are not wrong. I shared the drive and fuel cost in a 200 last October going to cape york and back. We had it full of hunting gear, fridge, beer, roof rack with a swag on top etc etc. Plus a tandem trailer with a side x side off roader. It drank like a fish. Best I seen on the way home was about 550 klms for 120 lts (fuel light was on).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GCM 7T
GVM 3.5T

But on the heavier ball weights there is decreases in pay load on the patrol.

I
No worries thanks mate. GCM was biggest concern. If towing a van, the GVM is irrelevant thankfully. Cheers again

·
Registered
nissan
29 Posts
No worries thanks mate. GCM was biggest concern. If towing a van, the GVM is irrelevant thankfully. Cheers again

GVM is still very relevant when towing , its very easy to be over the GVM and still well under the GCM
that really depends what extras you might fit and how much junk you carry in the vehicle .
Patrol has a GCM of 7T but you will never be able to achieve it , same for the LC200 its has a GCM of 6850kg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GVM is still very relevant when towing , its very easy to be over the GVM and still well under the GCM
that really depends what extras you might fit and how much junk you carry in the vehicle .
Patrol has a GCM of 7T but you will never be able to achieve it , same for the LC200 its has a GCM of 6850kg
Just got quoted 65k baseline price for a duramax conversion all inclusive auto box etc etc. WTF

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,702 Posts
Just got quoted 65k baseline price for a duramax conversion all inclusive auto box etc etc.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me... :unsure:

So... $60k+ car with a $65k conversion that'll probably be worth not much more than $50k when they completed stuffing it up... Just go buy a Titan with an ISX from the guys in QLD that do the RHD conversions... Costs the same and comes with a warranty.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've got a dealer here in SA that sells the silverados, titans, gmc, f trucks allready converted brand new. Over100k though

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,702 Posts
We've got a dealer here in SA that sells the silverados, titans, gmc, f trucks allready converted brand new. Over100k though.
Like I said, by the time you bought a Y62 and converted it, you'll be well over $100k as well, but the resale value will be a lot less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts