Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 4.2 TDi Cab Chassis's have an ECU? What does it stand for - ?Electronic computer Unit?
I thought an ECU was a computer that controlled the fuel injection and air mixture.
Just been reading a thread regarding an ECU in 06 4.2 cab chassis where the member drowned the car.
I know the 3 litre's are computer controlled but thought the 4.2 where all manual injection controlled by the fuel pump.
Hope someone can enlighten me on this. :)

Cheers guys

Marty

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
Does the 4.2 TDi Cab Chassis's have an ECU? What does it stand for - ?Electronic computer Unit?
I thought an ECU was a computer that controlled the fuel injection and air mixture.
Marty
"ECU" Electronic Control Unit
Engine ECU is controlling the amount of fuel injected not air mixture. ECU controls how much fuel is injected at any given time by the mechanical injection pump. This is of course after all variables have been taken in to account e.g. engine revs, load, accelerator pedal input, amount of air entering the cylinders etc. It is also called Electronic Diesel Control or EDC for short. In a nutshell the mechanical governor has been replaced by electronic control. Cheers

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Yes they do and this is what it connects to

The pump is mechanical with electronic add on's for emmisions

Nissan refer to it as a ECM that probably stands for Engine Control Module

Some of the things connected to it are inputs (needle lift sensor,accelerator position sensor,etc) and some are outputs (Glow plug control,injection timing control valve,egr,etc)

Regards Don

Attachments

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
"ECU" Electronic Control Unit
Engine ECU is controlling the amount of fuel injected not air mixture. ECU controls how much fuel is injected at any given time by the mechanical injection pump. This is of course after all variables have been taken in to account e.g. engine revs, load, accelerator pedal input, amount of air entering the cylinders etc. It is also called Electronic Diesel Control or EDC for short. In a nutshell the mechanical governor has been replaced by electronic control. Cheers
I think the ECM on the TD42Ti can only alter pump timing but not the volume of fuel injected

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, my next questions are...would my truck have one, where is it and is this the unit that can be chipped for more power?
I presume my engine is called a 4.2 TDi? Its an intercooled turbo diesel 4.2, ......that, I am sure of.

Marty

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Thanks guys, my next questions are...would my truck have one, where is it and is this the unit that can be chipped for more power?
I presume my engine is called a 4.2 TDi? Its an intercooled turbo diesel 4.2, ......that, I am sure of.

Marty
Yes

Beside your left leg under the dash

No

TD42Ti

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Don, your a wealth of knowledge. :)

Marty

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
I think the ECM on the TD42Ti can only alter pump timing but not the volume of fuel injected
Regards Don
I'd doubt that how would one get the revs to change if there wasn't variable in an amount of fuel injected. Or are you saying that the fuel rack control is via a linkage from the accelerator pedal, because while I'm not 100% sure I'd doubt that although with Japs one can never be sure. ;) Cheers

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'd doubt that how would one get the revs to change if there wasn't variable in an amount of fuel injected. Or are you saying that the fuel rack control is via a linkage from the accelerator pedal, because it isn't. ;) Cheers
The OP is talking about a TD42TI, not a ZD30

Don is 100% correct

The ECU can adjust injection timing. Fueling is done mechanically via the injection pump.
Last time I looked the TD42TI had an accelerator cable.

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
The OP is talking about a TD42TI, not a ZD30

Don is 100% correct

The ECU can adjust injection timing. Fueling is done mechanically via the injection pump.
Last time I looked the TD42TI had an accelerator cable.
I know it is about TD42 and not ZD30. I just found it hard to believe that in 2006 the Japanese could still get away with mechanically linkaged fuel injection pump. What the cheap skates. Full control EDC with "fly by wire" operated injection pumps have been around since late 80s. :( Cheers.
So the answer to the OP, it looks like you can't use a diesel chip to get more power, it has to be done by the old fashioned method of changing/altering the max stops/limits on the pump.

·
Registered
832 Posts
They are still available today in, I believe, south africa & the philippines. There are some members on this forum.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I know it is about TD42 and not ZD30. I just found it hard to believe that in 2006 the Japanese could still get away with mechanically linkaged fuel injection pump. What the cheap skates. Full control EDC with "fly by wire" operated injection pumps have been around since late 80s. :( Cheers.
So the answer to the OP, it looks like you can't use a diesel chip to get more power, it has to be done by the old fashioned method of changing/altering the max stops/limits on the pump.
The whole point is people want this simplicity for reliability and ease of repair in the bush. One of the reasons a TD42 commands a large premium here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
¡Hello! someboy now the electronic diagram of the "Engine Control DPC ECM for Patrol td42 y60? I am a Eng and I cam make one

Thanks German

1 - 15 of 15 Posts