Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman, enlighten me. After seeing nissan kids post about hooking up an ipad to ecu talk a couple of questions were raised.

How does ecu talk work? Is it a universal plug amongst all cars and is it a universal language amongst all models?

Will an iphone app give me correct codes and resets in my patrol?

tell me tell me tell me.

Im mustard on the ipad idea

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
The only patrol that is OBDII compliant is the CRD 3.0L

It is nissan specific 14 pin plug and a nissan specific langauge for our models

AFAIK there is no iphone app, and I doubt there will be.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The only patrol that is OBDII compliant is the CRD 3.0L

It is nissan specific 14 pin plug and a nissan specific langauge for our models

AFAIK there is no iphone app, and I doubt there will be.
agree about no iphone app, but Peter has already done a Windows mobile version and with the success of Android my guess is he might do one of those one day. But why bother? The ECUTalk display gives me enough info and sits in front of my eyes all the time. For $240 it is a no-brainer. (my experience is with the TB45 engine running petrol and injected gas)

ECUTalk - Consult LCD Display

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bugger, the ipad would of been uber cool for ecu

·
Registered
nissan
305 Posts
unfortunately there's always the 'apple tax' when you want to do anything on an iphone etc. i.e. all the money that goes to apples or other's pockets in different forms. just look at rev for iphone, it has to make a wireless access point device (which is like $150 in itself), because apple wont let you use the onboard port or bluetooth etc without parting with a fortune, signing away half your profits, firstborn, etc to them.

one guy is working on an app for android, which is slightly easier as bluetooth is available, but i wouldnt count on it supporting diesels unfortunately.

priority for the ecutalk stuff has always been functionality/usefulness over novelty/coolness factor (which is why the display looks relatively bland, which a lot of people actually want, something that doesnt stand out too much).

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
unfortunately there's always the 'apple tax' when you want to do anything on an iphone etc. i.e. all the money that goes to apples or other's pockets in different forms. just look at rev for iphone, it has to make a wireless access point device (which is like $150 in itself), because apple wont let you use the onboard port or bluetooth etc without parting with a fortune, signing away half your profits, firstborn, etc to them.
I would still pay for it if i could run it in my car.

·
Registered
nissan
305 Posts
the problem isnt whether 1 person could afford it or not, itd whether everyone with a compatible nissan car (i.e. the people that make up the business case for doing something like that) would pay that much, i.e. pay much more than it would cost them to just buy a dedicated ipaq/etc setup they could have permanently monitoring it. secondary issue is then that only a very small fraction of those users actually have an iphone/ipad (one thing that iphone/ipad people always overestimate is how many other people actually own one).

it can be done for OBDII because the market for that is 100 x larger than the current nissan consult market, so there are enough people who can afford it.

·
Registered
Nissan
599 Posts

one guy is working on an app for android, which is slightly easier as bluetooth is available, but i wouldnt count on it supporting diesels unfortunately.

priority for the ecutalk stuff has always been functionality/usefulness over novelty/coolness factor (which is why the display looks relatively bland, which a lot of people actually want, something that doesnt stand out too much).

Where do I get an Ecutalk from???
Is there somewhere physical I can go and pay cash or is it all Internet based...

Many thanx

Daz

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Online mate.

You literally order today and it arrives tomorrow.

·
Registered
Nissan
599 Posts
Online mate.

Oh ok , where r they based???

It's just with online it means the handbrake will know whereas with cash I can 'hide' it..
Lol...

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
They are Australian, Here is the link
http://www.ecutalk.com/consultlcd.aspx

I have one and could not be happier.

Contact Peter at ECU Talk,
http://www.ecutalk.com/contact.aspx

I am sure that he can organize something that will not attract the attention of your finance minister.

I just told my wife that it was far cheaper to diagnose any faults with my car than taking it to a Nissan dealer.

·
Registered
nissan
305 Posts
from ECUTalk - Consult LCD Display and im based in Sydney. if you want to pay via bank deposit that is an option (use the email address on the contact page on the website), then you can put the transfer message as whatever will sufficiently hide it (dont get that many transfers that it will matter) - or do it at a st george branch in cash

Online mate.

usually within 2 business days, not always next day (certainly not on a friday night...it wont arrive till tues at earliest since it cant be posted till monday).

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Oh ok , where r they based???

It's just with online it means the handbrake will know whereas with cash I can 'hide' it..
Lol...
Sydney is where Peter is.

If the Missus is that bad, then get peters bank account details and put an over the counter cash deposit in via his bank. Which is St George from memory. In the dark ages when I didnt have a debit card I used to be like a mafia bagman depositing cash everywhere ;)

Im not longer scrutinised for transactions as I dont ask what that new pair of shoes......

·
Registered
Nissan
599 Posts
from ECUTalk - Consult LCD Display and im based in Sydney. if you want to pay via bank deposit that is an option (use the email address on the contact page on the website), then you can put the transfer message as whatever will sufficiently hide it (dont get that many transfers that it will matter) - or do it at a st george branch in cash

usually within 2 business days, not always next day (certainly not on a friday night...it wont arrive till tues at earliest since it cant be posted till monday).

Sweet!!!
E mail sent...

Darren

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
1,210 Posts
Sorry for hijacking this thread, Ive got 2004 3L patrol series 3 very last 1
Im just confused which 1 do I buy before I click on it
ECUTalk LCD V2 ($220 + post, +$10 for blue)

or

ECUTalk LCD V2 w/plug for some OBDII (+$10)

For the very few Nissan vehicles with an OBDII plug
that are NOT really OBDII, but still original Consult:
Patrol/Navara/Terrano with TB45E or non-CRD ZD30
R50 Pathfinder with VG33E. Any other, contact us.
Wont work on REAL OBDII cars!

Help!?!?!

Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
1,210 Posts
So second 1 on my post? ECUTalk LCD V2 w/plug for some OBDII (+$10)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts