Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this isnt posted inmthe right spot but to save ages googling can anyone tell me if there is such thing as the ecutalk software I could load onto my gps screen (which runs windows ce) or an android tablet.
Id like to be able to display all the readings while driving and possibly save on gauge installs and buying the ecutalk interface.
Had a hell of a week with my little zd30 so time to get serious with nads and monitoring !!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
It has been done, go to the top LH corner of this page to google search and utilise that, this just searches our forum. Dronus was looking at this and Chaz has it on his aftermarket radio installation. If you look at Nukleers site he sells the cables etc to do this, I can run with my laptop on the passenger seat and see all gauges, an in car PC as Chaz has can do the same in dash. Do a search and save us the work :).

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
Getting ECUTalk working on WinCE device is very problematic. Chaz has dedicated car PC running full version of MS® Windows so there is no issue for him there.

The biggest problem is that most WinCE devices will not have full serial port capability one needs.
Drivers especially for WinCE don't exist. WinCE is dead/obsolete platform.

Android is also a no go, I suspect that ECUTalk maker would loose his market for LCD devices hence there is no Android app. I wonder if it is even possible as it is written in "MS .NET" framework language with Windows specific extension, I couldn't get it to work under "Mono" which is open source implementation of .NET under Linux which Android is a part of.

I'm not saying it can't be done but unless you are a programmer with specific hacking skill required to reverse engineer the ECUTalk software or firmware of LCD unit, their interaction with interfacing with Consult port and than make your own implementation of it you and I need to wait for Peter to make it.

Regards

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Asus make a tablet that's windows based. Saw them at HardlyNormal the other week.

Wouldn't that just be easier and ECUTalk will run on that Window OS? Interesting..

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
Asus make a tablet that's windows based. Saw them at HardlyNormal the other week.

Wouldn't that just be easier and ECUTalk will run on that Window OS? Interesting..
Probably would work as long as it has full functionality USB port but who wants Windoze tablet, the apps for it are nonexistent ....
I had a look but couldn't find any Asus with Windows at HN website. Asus T100 seems like the unit but not at HN.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Hmmm odd.

I'm sure it was HardlyNormal. I remember saying to the handbrake my observations were the window tablets were a couple hundred clams more than the androids.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Muzz, Hardly Normal has them up here but it's the Asus t100 transformer in 10.1" 64GB, expensive though.

Now that I have fuel temp on my ECUTalk I have not rigged up to my laptop in ages, so I would question the need for it now, If something untoward was to happen that I need more info on then I would just rig up the laptop again, but there has been no need in the last 1.5 - 2 years, so it's a lot of expense for possibly limited usage requirements.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Ive got it running on a wince device but it was a pita. Most head units dont have serial/usb or they have a short usb stack.

Best bet is to get an ecutalk.

Next best is a windows laptop/tablet. There is an asus unit which has a removable tablet screen.
If you are going to go to that trouble, just get the ecutalk as its purpose built and very handy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
I agree the ECUTalk unit is all thats needed, Ive plugged it into the laptop once.

Didnt see the need for big analogue display of what I already saw.:)

Oh and when I was updating to fuel temp as well.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
Why bother with it
Just buy a scangauge II or something similar
The later ones u can try to program the PIDs
I hope to get something similar soon once I get some more work out and get some cash
Then once I play around with them so they can show 6l80 and 4l60/80 Trans temp and afew other
Not so common readings I'll get some more in

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Why bother with it
Just buy a scangauge II or something similar
The later ones u can try to program the PIDs
I hope to get something similar soon once I get some more work out and get some cash
Then once I play around with them so they can show 6l80 and 4l60/80 Trans temp and afew other
Not so common readings I'll get some more in
The scangauge II is good if you have a newer crd patrol but old timer di zd30s need ecutalk as scangauge wont work.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
does it work at all
I hope to getting around 10 ro 20 scangauge units or similar and do some testing after xmas
and try put some custom PIDS into them

got too many bills to pay at moment

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
does it work at all
I hope to getting around 10 ro 20 scangauge units or similar and do some testing after xmas
and try put some custom PIDS into them

got too many bills to pay at moment
As Dronus says ECUTalk for DI's and Scangauge for CRD's.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
335 Posts
Hey guys, started reading through this yesterday and it got me really interested in having everything displayed on my dvd screen in the dash, however after reading through here it would seem that the connection needs a laptop or pc to compute the data to a screen.

So im quite open for a way to develop a system thats inexpensive and able to connect, process and send the data to my pioneer screen.
Im very good mates with a network engineer who i will be pitching the idea too and seeing what he can come up with. Im sure others have thought of this and i saw where someone has installed a mobile pc which is an amazing idea but i still want my music and user friendly interface.

pitch me your pro's and con's =)

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Con would be trying to easily see readings on a screen on your dash whilst driving! Id likely run off the road!
And if ur media player is also a gps you could run both at the same time. Another downside to off road driving when motor monitoring is most important.
Pro would be less devices in my car and more reading/monitoring capabilites and even logging of data conpared to external gauges.
I do think its a great idea because its a set up id like !!

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
There are some cheap mini pcs on aliexpress that would do what you want.. just need a hdmi touch screen..

You dont really need to log data.. that novelty wears off pretty quick

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,113 Posts
Why not just buy an ecutalk? And install it in your car?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,113 Posts
Like this one

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
I need to find someone in china to make me a stereo or radio with an inbuilt ecu talk system
or a scangauge

wish I had money to invent this new radio/ scanner hehehe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts