Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What support is there for an EFI on my L28?

i did a search on it and found very little topics and even less info.. only thing i found was that you can use the EFI off a Z-car (i did know that) but obviously its not just a straight bolt in conversion is it?

i also read something about having knotches in your head for the injectors? how do i tell if mine would be suitable? or can i check via engine code?

any thoughts or advice would be good!

Cheers
Luke

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
280zx were the injected L28 (with and without turbo), so you could get a whole engine and computer etc out of one of them, then just splice the looms together and off you go. r30 skylines had L20 engine with turbo and efi, so that is another option.

now swapping efi onto your engine, im pretty sure you just get the manifolds (with all its bits) and dissy and bolt them on. when you get the dissy, there is a mount/spacer between the block and the dissy, you need this as well. afaik the injectors are in the manifold runners and dont go near the heads.

all the blocks, heads, manifolds etc are stamped with codes like N42 and P90. if you search on the net, it tells you what these are for each component. some heads have different port shapes, compression chamber size etc. for the blocks, they have different pistons and compression ratios. there are even a couple of different efi intake manifolds. this way you can work out if what you have is good.

auszcar forum is a good place to start your search, ive seen heaps of info on there.

or you could go a custom efi using GM Delco system like i posted about a few weeks ago. can do distributor or disctributorless system, fully tunable etc. much better computer than the factory L-engine one.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Yeah pritty much as above
OR
IF ya like old school technology,run a set of twin or triple carbs or even a 4 barrell carb
Jelmer is the one to talk to regarding this

Bitta reading on google will result in some freakin hot L28s
But like anything HP=$$$

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
the 4 barrel carb manifold is ~$250 US, so pretty cheap really. they recommend a ~450 holley for it, which are probably pretty cheap as well, especially if you buy from somewhere like summit racing (online US speed shop incase you dont know). jelmer mentioned the multi-carbs dont run too well off-road and i dont trust the holleys offroad. sticking an adapter onto the 4 barrel and using a quadrajet is probably the way to go.

im buying a few things from the US at the moment, its great with the dollar as high as it is. if its like $100 US posted, the bill on my credit card ends up like $98 including currency conversion charges. im loving it!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I got a complete EFI setup to go on my L28 but with my new stroker it won't run that good cause of the high compresion ratio on my new L31. So I'm running that one with my 4 barrel setup which is on my stock L28 now.

Ive even seen LD intakes converted to an EFI intake for more torque. I have a LD intake in the shed wich neRok was interested in but shipping is the killer.

As far I know you need the following parts:

Inlet manifold with all the bits bolted to it (trottlebody, injectors, idle control valve, etc.)
MAF sensor
Wiring loom (They use a 2 parts loom, wich can be taken out pretty easy)
Fuel pump (which is a high pressure pump-->Patrol has a low pressure)

A Patrol has a N42 head which is already setup for injectors and you don't need the dizzy cause it is not wired of the engine harness. But a electronic one is always better so this is a good one to convert to.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
there are 2 type of electronic dissy, pre and post 1983 i think. i thought the post was computer controlled advance etc? bit ****ty if they are only fuel injection and not spark controllers as well, only half the benefit.

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the main reason i started to look into it was to ditch the carby all together as it stalls up hills. a little hp increase would be nice but not essential, also a smoother running engine. i will start doing my research with this one and keep putting up questions. does anyone know of anyone who has done it?

have you actually fitted yours jelmer or have you just gathered parts?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I never got to it. I still need a little piece of the wiring that controls some relays.

But when I have my stroker running it will be on the 4 barrel first and later on the efi harnes and a KDFi system which has plug and play ECU's for Bosch connectors. The Nissan EFI is a Bosch unit copied by Nissan.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Stalls up hills ???
Are you turning your idle up a bit when travelling up steel hills ???
Or just leaving it as is ???

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stalls up hills ???
Are you turning your idle up a bit when travelling up steel hills ???
Or just leaving it as is ???
I havnt touched any adjustments on the carby, only taken it off and cleaned it.

As soon as i get on any sort of an angle and dont keep the revs up the motor dies straight away (im assuming its flooding).

And i get on plenty of angles ad you have seen:D

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
A stock carb should do pretty good offroad. At least mine did.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Luke,
Theres like a choke thingy on the dash (right side of column)
You can adjust this to increase revs when climbing
Its hooked to the gas pedal not the carb
So it isnt really a choke,if u like
Pull to adjust then turn to lock
They work wonders when climbing
Thats what i ment by adjusting idle a bit
Set it to say just over 1,000 RPM, then it shouldnt stall as often due to low revs

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's my cruise control Cory! It still dies at anything under about 2k.

You guys have a real knack for going off on tangents and talking about the complete opposite to what i want to do. lol. I WANT EFI!!!

how hard would it be to swap over? Easier to chase parts or a whole donor car?

·
Registered
558 Posts
from what ive seen all you need is all the intake side of things and the computer, then there is 2 wires coming out of the computer that needs to go somewhere.
might need dizzy if any wires go to it from computer.
shouldn't be too hard to do, i was trying to find turbo stuff for mine but never got around to it.

if you can get a donar car cheap enough buy it as the wreakers may charge a bit

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's not really that hard. Might be best if you can get a donor car to get all of the bits you'll need in one step.
Your head might be correct, it will need the different bolt pattern and injector notches. Only way to tell for sure is to look. If memory serves correct, there will be extra bolt holes in between the current upper inlet manifold bolt pairs for the EFI compatible head.

You'll also want the EFI fuel pump. You may end up with fuel surge problems with lowish fuel levels in the tank and therefore need a surge tank too as the patrol one won't have the extra baffles needed for EFI pumps.

There's a few different inlet manifolds. The L24 (R30 skyline) is probably the smallest (and most common). I think the 280ZX one (L28) is where the best one came from, it has two butterflies in the throttle body, a real small one and a bigger one and bigger inlet tracts. Gives good low throttle resolution. I had one of these, but with an XF throttle body on it!

The EFI distirbutor is electronic, but the advance is not computer controlled. These early nissan EFI systems all use an air flow meter which you'll have to keep. The standard airboxes are ordinary at best, but would allow connection to a snorkel without too much trouble. Some were aluminium base with pressed steel lids, others were plastic. Overall mixtures are adjusted by some internal adjustments on the air flow meter, but there should be no real reason to play with them if they are already running OK.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
that ebay skyline i posted is dirt cheap baja burley, he said he wants a quick sale so ring and say your coming round tomorrow with 500! then there was someone is bris area looking for a L motor, you can sell the left overs, make most of your money back. or bang the single carb on, and thrash it in the bush, good times :)

i just won twin carb setup on ebay :D my 260z wasnt very quick with the single carb, hopefully this wakes it up.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
But the L24 has smaller injectors. So you need a set of L28E injectors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts