Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Working on AUX fuel tank and wanted to know if anyone thought this might be a bad idea. I have a 75L LR Aux tank that i'm fitting to my 88 TD42 GQ. The tank was for a TB GQ and is fitted with a pump for EFI.
What i want to do is split the filler hose to both tanks so they fill at the same time, the use the EFI pump to send Diesel to the main tank with its return blocked off. I have heard that Diesel is often used in the testing and cleaning process of an EFI pump, but wasn't sure if it will be ok long term. Surely a fluid that has better lubricating properties would mean a longer life right?

Its not the end of the worked if not, i can just use a purpose built pump, but wanted to save the time of fitting a new fuel level sender.

If you find this answered already on a search, ill eat my hat because i've been looking all day! :p

Thanks All!

·
Registered
nissan
4,992 Posts
If this helps at all, I converted from TB45 to TD42 so I removed the EFI fuel pump from the main tank but I’m still using the original petrol pump in the sub tank to transfer diesel to main.
Been using it for 3 years now.

·
Registered
nissan
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this helps at all, I converted from TB45 to TD42 so I removed the EFI fuel pump from the main tank but I’m still using the original petrol pump in the sub tank to transfer diesel to main.
Been using it for 3 years now.
Champion, exactly the info i needed. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

One last question though, how fast can you transfer the fuel?

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
We did this using a petrol pump. It suffered no ill effects. Fast isn't the word I would use though :)

If you go this route split the filler up high enough that you can point the bowser into the tank you want to fill otherwise it will want to fill slow.

But if you can afford it the 6 port valves are so much nicer. Hit one switch and it picks up, returns to and uses the sender of the Aux tank.

·
Registered
nissan
4,992 Posts
Champion, exactly the info i needed. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

One last question though, how fast can you transfer the fuel?
It doesn't appear to be any slower than before but I transfer while driving so don't take much notice really.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts