Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys need to upgrade my shocks. since my ridepro ones lost all the oil the patrol is like a trampoline now. i always have problems with shocks, had to get front and rear on the bike rebuilt twice and now the gq

since there expensive just wondering on peoples's opinions of these shocks before i rush out and buy some. bearing in mind im pretty hard on things and its a gq with 4 inch lift

thanks for any input

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
Trick question right?....Rancho are so pooh they are absolute worst shock ever (& I'm a suspntion speialist) I love to EFS brand very high quality products great price & unbeatable waranty! we also fit OME which are a great product, also try Dobinsons!

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok got it don't go near the ranchos. my truck is pretty heavy and im always goin camping carrying a lot of gear, so efs might not be to bad but ill have a look at src and those threads first,
cheers,thanks for ur help

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Give the blokes at Superior a call. they are great to deal with. They will set you straight.

They arent cheap, but they work and they last.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
300 or so Tough Dog Adjustable shocks sold last year and no complaint about a leaking Tough Dog. Can't say the same about previously mention brand with only a handful of kits sold.(If you get them though, do yourself a favour and set the bump stops up correctly.

SRC for sure $1960.

Our Suspension Stuff shocks have better componets then the other brands so can put up with the abuse better. 765mm rear shock so might be a tad long for a 4" lift. $300 for the rear pair $250 for the front. Next size down in Suspension Stuff is 700mm.
pm me if you are interested in trialing a super comfort shock (Not suitable if you are heavily loaded) Twice as comfortable as Procomp but with less body roll.

·
Registered
nissan
258 Posts
whats wrong with ranchos ive had mine on my truck for 40,000kms on a 3 inch with 33's on a ute andf they are fine whats with the bagging of them ?? i dont get it they run em on chevy silverados and doge rams in the states and race em in the baja 1000 personally if you have had the rs9000xl what went wrong with em not just stories first hand experience

cheers mitch

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
whats wrong with ranchos ive had mine on my truck for 40,000kms on a 3 inch with 33's on a ute andf they are fine whats with the bagging of them ?? i dont get it they run em on chevy silverados and doge rams in the states and race em in the baja 1000 personally if you have had the rs9000xl what went wrong with em not just stories first hand experience

cheers mitch
Brother bent and snapped a couple of them, and I had them and all adjusters seized, Not to mention they were the sh*test ride ever. There's always gonna be some people that get a good run out of them, but not many.

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
their terrible valving ensures they get cavitation & over heating on corrigations....Rancho DONT actualy make a shock spacificaly for Patrol! & dont handel a coil spring application well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Another high rating for EFS extremes.. Would recommend them to anyone.. 80k kms old and working like the day I first installed them.. Firm but not uncomfortable.. Great shock!

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Rancho DONT actualy make a shock spacificaly for Patrol! & dont handel a coil spring application well.
X2 Thats the biggest problem, they and made for U.S. trucks.

·
Registered
nissan
458 Posts
I've had 3 sets of EFS extremes now and absolutely love them. But for my next choice im going either fox or SRC. Just hope there worth the extra coin.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If I had to choose between a 30 year+ designed EFS Extreme and Rancho I would say EFS Extremes. Because they at least for the short term can put up with abuse. They will wear out faster in the mid term though in a lot of cases.
The valving of EFS Extremes is a love hate thing. They are super soft on compression so you can hit a gutter at speed. They are super firm on rebound so when you drive off the gutter you get air and a rough landing because the shocks won't let the tyres comply.
My personal experience with Rancho shocks is mainly with my own vehicle. I read on forums years ago that they were not the way to go so never really got into selling them. I still do for certain applications though. What I did find though is that if the shocks are not valved to suit your application from the factory for the compression valving, the ride will be crappy no matter what you do with the rebound adjusting. Then there is the design flaw if you drive them hard or go over long corrugated roads as previously mentioned. I "think" there isn't enough bleed on the compression so no real give for little bumps. Other shocks will bring in the dampening a bit more variably so you get a more comfortable ride while still keeping good control.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Must say I have also run Rancho 9000xl, and till recently haven't had an issue with them (smashed the guts out of one), but in saying this I am rough on shocks heavy over loading at times (weight wise) constant weight of well over 2.7ton, plus when I go wheeling I get airbourne and crap

also ran T/dogs had seal issues, and at the price compared to a rancho I would never buy T/dog again over a rancho

I ran 3" suited on a 2" lift

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I think the compression valving on both the Rancho and Tough Dog is more suited to the heavier Patrol. Otherwise you have to dial them down so much to get a nice ride that you end up with a sloppy ride. One persons idea of a nice ride is different from another though.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Suspension Stuff said:
If I had to choose between shocky bike shock from 1974 and Rancho I would say shocky bike shock from 1974.
agree

heres a sample set.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts

cheers mitch
An off the shelf shock like the 9000XL is not what they use on the Baja trucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts