Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wanting to know if anyone can give me a comparison on the EFS and Koni (82 series) shocks?? Are one "better" than the other...price seems to be quite different...I will be towing 1.8 tonne and do bush / corregations but no "extreame" 4x4ing.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
2,470 Posts
On the Konie shocks ....Don't buy the rebuildable BS. For about $100 over the "rebuild" you can get a new one. Not worth it. Also dont buy the Adjustable bit... its only a wear adjustment not a valving adjustment.

They do drive nice though... but not as much as the price difference should indicate.

Personally I would look at edlebrock or EFS extreme first as a more expensive but not silly price.

Then Lovell, Dobinsons, Ironman etc.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do u mean the EFS elite? i got told the extreame is for 4 inch lift and above...

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Love my Konis.. Would have to be something special and a stupid price to trade them on others. Second set on second car.. If your not doing harsh offroading I'd say Konis may suit better.. but shocks opinions are like arses..

My Koni's dont work too bad either.

If you do LOTs of corrigations, 90 series Konis. Fairly well unbeatable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 2" EFS lift all EFS coils and shocks and I love them have had for 18 month and had no problems went with the performance kit not heavy duty coils as the patrol runs most the day empty. feels great loaded. rids even better.

·
Registered
561 Posts
truckster said:
Love my Konis.. Would have to be something special and a stupid price to trade them on others.
Couldnt agree more.

hottie said:
If you do LOTs of corrigations, 90 series Konis. Fairly well unbeatable.
& towing 2Tonne to the tip & back on them they didnt fade one little bit, hours of corrugations & they were only warm to the touch. Worth the $$$ Imo especially when towing weight over crap roads.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
GUUU said:
G'day Truckster, which koni's have u got? are they the 82 series?
Correct 82's, would like 88s, would shag the queen for a set of 90's.
Can get #'s tonight if needed. That actual setup will run 35's Xterrains no problems.

Look, honestly, there are that many shocks on the market that will do the job (pretty much any will).
It comes down to budget, what you can get locally.. Not really much more.
You can get setups from $few hunge, upto $10k+

With Shane at Suspension Stuff and Zordo delivering to your door, that makes it easier/more difficult to decide!

Personally I like the idea of the OME replacement warranty (if they still have it), which works anywhere there is an ARB distributer.. but its better to have a shock that doesnt need replacing. LTR's are :cool: had them on GQ too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Truckster I was wondering what lift you have on your patrol pictured also if possible what springs and rate's. I'm in the market for new springs / shocks as well
Rossco

·
suspension of disbelief
nissan
164 Posts
Hi, the konis (82's) are the go mate. Im on my second set on my second patrol and the ride is great. they are a bit exy though you get what you pay for. But, like truckster said, shock opinions are like bums and most peoples views will be related to the ones they have on their rig making unbiased comparisons tricky. No matter what esle is said, if you go with Koni you wont be dissapointed..

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Fox Shooter said:
Hi Truckster I was wondering what lift you have on your patrol pictured also if possible what springs and rate's. I'm in the market for new springs / shocks as well
Rossco
its 3inch with King Springs, this is the car they came off with the xterrains.

Although the front is a little more sagged with the extras I have compared to this one in the photo, I will need new heavier springs soon at a guess.

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well, I have had both Koni on my GQ & now have the same coils (4" Lift EFS) from the GQ on my GU with EFS ELITE SHOCKS, I haven't been happy with the initial bump of the EFS on small bumps way to harsh, they are ok on bigger bumps. I will be removing the EFS Shocks & replacing them with Koni's. I have talked at length with EFS about my problem & they can't/won't do anything to fix it. My brother has OME from ARB on his Ti/08 & the ride is fantastic compared to mine. I U want to look & drive both troll's to feel the difference it can be arranged.

Well thats my 10cents.... the 2cents was free

·
Registered
31 Posts
Based on Trucksters reports I just fitted a set of Koni 90 to my troll. They are amazing! Its like driving a different car. Its planted on the road, the steering is sharp (for a 4x4), and its not unduly harsh (they are set maxi soft) so my wife is happy (I didn't tell her how much!!!). Haven't had it in the dunes yet, as it,s still 42C in the shade, but I know it will be good.

A couple of things I noted which may be of interest.

The car is/was a bog standard 2007 4.8L super safari used mainly on the pot holed roads here in Qatar, and for the odd foray into the desert were its anything from BIG sandy dunes to stony boulder strewn desert. Nothing out of the ordinary for a troll. Its done 26K.

With that use in mind I found both front shocks were damaged. Both top tubes had crumpled and in one the piston shaft is bent and the whole unit sized. The damage was inboard so very difficult to spot. The turrets look OK.

I would suggest anyone running standard gear to have a GOOD look at their shocks or better still get some good quality replacements. The stock items are light weight junk. Not fit for purpose.

Thanks again Mr T and all, for this great site.:D

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, I have had both Koni on my GQ & now have the same coils (4" Lift EFS) from the GQ on my GU with EFS ELITE SHOCKS, I haven't been happy with the initial bump of the EFS on small bumps way to harsh, they are ok on bigger bumps. I will be removing the EFS Shocks & replacing them with Koni's. I have talked at length with EFS about my problem & they can't/won't do anything to fix it. My brother has OME from ARB on his Ti/08 & the ride is fantastic compared to mine. I U want to look & drive both troll's to feel the difference it can be arranged.

Well thats my 10cents.... the 2cents was free
Sorry maybe a little off topic but I have just been down the ARB route. Got the medium rated coils, 2 inch lift, with the new sportscharger shocks. After peeing blood for a week (yep far too hard), I took it back and had the sportchargers replaced with the older comfort shocks. My local guy's reported the problem back through ARB HO and they have admitted that they cannot get the valving right on the Sportchargers on the Patrols and they are working on developing a solution. For now they are not recommending fitting the Sportchargers to Patrols.

While the new shocks did improve the ride it is still too harsh in the rear. Even the concrete joins on the freeway create a very noticeable jarring through the rear of the car making it very unpleasant to drive.

I have just put back the original Nissan ones back on this afternoon and it is great. It seems to me the OME's don't react too little dips and bumps quick enough. The front is fine. I might add though that I have been very happy with the way ARB has treated me so far.

I will be doing something tomorrow about some new shocks, probably Koni's.

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Koni all the way, I bought them from Top Performance and they showed me why they're so good (cut away of the shock) and I am so happy with them. Made my Patrol nice and civilised for the family and the wheels articulate over obstacles rather than bounce over them. Got Kings 2" springs with the shockers. Speak to Chris at Top Performance http://www.toperformance.com.au/index2.html they were so helpful and an AWESOME price for the package and they're in Melbourne

·
Registered
802 Posts
Got the Koni's and fitted them up yesterday. The look, feel and finish of the Koni's is far superior to the OME's which I had previously. Better still, had a good drive today and I am even more impressed. Another example of getting what you pay for.

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Is there any way to order the Koni's from OS and get a better price, and what part number and price are we talking in Au, where is the cheapest to buy.
As for EFS I had the Elite 2" and will gift can have the 2 front ones to anyone who wants, the rears on my leaf ute were destroyed in under 50xxx k's but partly cause over sprung
Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Is there any way to order the Koni's from OS and get a better price, and what part number and price are we talking in Au, where is the cheapest to buy.
As for EFS I had the Elite 2" and will gift can have the 2 front ones to anyone who wants, the rears on my leaf ute were destroyed in under 50xxx k's but partly cause over sprung
Cheers
Lol, it might pay to check the date on threads, 2009 a lot of those have not been around for many years.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts