Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
haha yeah, usually do. I'm still dizzy with a fever though. I think a lot of stuff needs to be archived cause I chose that out of the feed, what algos are they running that's the problem

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,241 Posts
I'll be going Koni 82s when the time comes. Seems like a good balance of cost vs performance.

Anyone know the shock lengths of 82s? Wanting to know whether they'll need bump stop spacing.
Edit: yes I did try to check their catalogue.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,241 Posts
I've got Koni 82s with 2" Lovells springs and have standard bump stops with no issues.
Thanks.
I'll be at factory ride height for a while longer.
Assuming the lift springs reach the same amount of compression as STD that means there'll be no issues for me then.

·
Registered
113 Posts
On the front my bump stops definitely hit first (based on witness marks), so they should be fine with std springs. The rears I'm not 100% certain on. The rear on mine is over-sprung when not towing and has polyairs fitted - the bump stops don't look like they've ever hit the diff housing. I've done a lot of off-road miles, including towing the camper, and hit lots of wash-outs at speed - I reckon I would I would have done the rear shocks by now if they were bottoming out first. I've never jacked the diff without the springs in to check though. It's possible the Lovells springs fully compress before the shocks bottom out - they are thick wire!

I recommend taking the springs out when you fit the new shocks and then jack the axle to check if the bump stops are hitting before the shocks bottom out.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
I'll be going Koni 82s when the time comes. Seems like a good balance of cost vs performance.

Anyone know the shock lengths of 82s? Wanting to know whether they'll need bump stop spacing.
Edit: yes I did try to check their catalogue.
Mark I can’t help with specific lengths, but I can say that the 88s are well worth the extra clams over the 82s if you’re heavily loaded or driving on corrugations, let alone both.

I had them in my GQ for a number of years prior to buying King Smoothies and I really rate them, very comfortable and outstanding ability to withstand corrugations, I was really impressed. They are quite a bit bigger than the 82s in terms of oil capacity and the adjustment mechanism doesn’t compromise the open/closed length ratio to the extent of say, a tough dog or rancho type unit.

I’d happily use them again, an 88 is worth half a dozen cheap look-at-me remote res shocks (says he with bling remote res shocks lol).

Having said all that, I must admit I don’t know their price these days, I recall I paid pretty good coin back in the day, but worth every cent.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Leethal, was there a noticeable difference between the Koni 88s and the King smoothies? The 82s have served me well, but looking to upgrade in the quest to find a spring/shock combo that makes driving on corrugations tolerable without losing the ability to soak up heavy uneven terrain.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
Not as noticeable as you might think. In my application (touring/holidays) the kings are basically immune to fade (2.5”), you can belt along a corrugated road at a slightly silly speed for a couple of hours with no difference in handling, when you pull up you can touch the shocks (although pretty hot).

Because you don’t feel it in the car, twice I’ve blown all 4 shocks in the camper, forgot about the freeloader copping it out the back lol

But I only got the konis to fade once or twice anyway. The kings, with flutter valves and a fair bit of messing around are just next level in the comfort but you will NOT get them spot on off the shelf, and most folks just accept them as they are not knowing how good they can be.

When I bought them our exchange rate with US was better than 1:1, they cost me $1860 airfreight to my door from California, for all 4. Now I doubt that would get you two. Unless you have money to burn, for a tourer I don’t think at current prices they’d be worth the premium. Mine need a rebuild and the rears need new shafts, so in the meantime I bought the new superior 2” remotes, got them at trade through a mate so very cheap and value for money, WOW! Are they perfect? Nope, far from it, but the ride is good, they cop corrugations without any evil handling after an hour or so and at 4 of them for a bit more than the cost of one king I’m not complaining and the kings rebuild can wait as I have bigger fish to fry.

Koni 88s are something I would gladly use again. I only got the superiors because of the price I got them. and while completely different ways of skinning the cat they’re both great options, and I reckon shocks are something that’s worth spending a little more on if the budget stretches, much like tyres, spotties and steaks. Should always spend up on good steak.

Kings are awesome but not good value for money at current pricing IMHO.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks - great to hear a balanced view from someones who's used a range of options in similar conditions to what I use my vehicle for. As for steaks - I agree - rib eye fillet from a butcher is my current preference.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,241 Posts
Mark I can’t help with specific lengths, but I can say that the 88s are well worth the extra clams over the 82s if you’re heavily loaded or driving on corrugations, let alone both.

I had them in my GQ for a number of years prior to buying King Smoothies and I really rate them, very comfortable and outstanding ability to withstand corrugations, I was really impressed. They are quite a bit bigger than the 82s in terms of oil capacity and the adjustment mechanism doesn’t compromise the open/closed length ratio to the extent of say, a tough dog or rancho type unit.

I’d happily use them again, an 88 is worth half a dozen cheap look-at-me remote res shocks (says he with bling remote re
You've sold me on the 88s. Might have to sell Grandma but your endorsement speaks volumes about that shock.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,066 Posts
@Leethal, 2.5" Adjustable Radflo's are $1050 each, and the Kings are dearer again I am told. That is local pricing from Down South Motorsports in Qld.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
Geez that’s pretty rough Shayne, drug money for shocks on a tourer isn’t good value!. As I alluded to, I’m often restricted by the speed my camper can cope with, it is only about 12-1300kg loaded and has four shocks but they’re short buggers and I’ve melted the plastic stone guards a few times. In any case if I’m on hols I’m not in any hurry.

I can’t imagine any situation where someone wouldn’t be happy with koni 88s, great well built shock.

*Disclaimer: I assume they’re not now made in China these days???

Reactions: GQshayne

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I reckon your options for shocks on the camper would be limited too.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,327 Posts
Like most, I have gone through a few spring/shock configurations. Yes always something better.

Never used EFS (so no comment), but have been running Koni88s with Dobinson HD 2" lift since 2016_Get better with use(still on off the shelf settings).. Live on corrugated road, have 80kg rear bar(Millweld) so can have 150kg out back, use with poly air bags / rear coils (always around 5psi unless loaded with tow.
Used Lovell coils/Gas Shocks(not top shelf)_teeth fillings would rattle, Bilstein (had them re-valved as would skip around corrugated corners).

If need replacing, would not hesitate getting 88s but like to try Koni RAID 90s.

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
@Leethal, 2.5" Adjustable Radflo's are $1050 each, and the Kings are dearer again I am told. That is local pricing from Down South Motorsports in Qld.
i put a set of radflos on my car with the seperate high and low speed adjusters and with a bit of tuning from paul at downsouth. i gotta say they are pretty phenominal. but i paid a bit more than even the 1050 a corner for them....
although i need to go back and see him. i was the guinea pig with the first set into the country and the front rebound is currently a bit soft. and id like to open up the free bleeds a touch. but all in all ive given them a bit of a hard time and they have been faultless so far.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Paul mentioned to me that in comparison to Fox that the tuning is a bit different, and that feedback had been they were a little stiffer initially. Going to a 3 hole bleed as opposed to a 2 hole is what they did on mine, so yours may need the same.

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
i think so as they are a little rough on what i call road chop. ill touch base with him soon and see what he has seen and learnt since they came out and also give my feedback about them whilst its fresh in my head.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
i think so as they are a little rough on what i call road chop. ill touch base with him soon and see what he has seen and learnt since they came out and also give my feedback about them whilst its fresh in my head.
Yep, sounds just like it. When mine were being first set-up they were starting to use the three hole bleed then, when used on lighter stuff like Patrol and Cruiser, compared to F Trucks and Rams etc. We started with a two hole set-up, but I found the same as you.

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
sounds about right. from memory road chop and front rebound is about my only gripes with them. otherwise they are very good. absord big bumps brilliant. ride well but i just dont wanna have to pull the fronts back out haha. mine are an absolute pitch. im actually considering getting some psr 75mm raised front towers which are open like the cruiser setup, as it takes about an hour to pull my front shocks. 5 minutes for the rear haha

21 - 40 of 41 Posts