Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anyone had a look at this product. I love the concept of it. Looks very simple to wire things up. The only problem that I can see, is that you may not be able to wire direct to the starter battery and everything will be off the aux. At least I think that's how it is wired...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I saw this on the 4xOverland Youtube channel a few weeks back. I love the idea of it, but i'm a sparky by trade so i'm gonna do things my way ;)

EDIT: Just saw the price of it. $700 is way too steep for what it is IMHO. it's like $70 worth of components. I'm also not a fan of screw terminals in vehicles.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw this on the 4xOverland Youtube channel a few weeks back. I love the idea of it, but i'm a sparky by trade so i'm gonna do things my way ;)

EDIT: Just saw the price of it. $700 is way too steep for what it is IMHO. it's like $70 worth of components. I'm also not a fan of screw terminals in vehicles.
Interesting, you think you could build a circuit board like that for $70? and be rated at 150amps?

It seems like it would simplify things

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interesting, you think you could build a circuit board like that for $70? and be rated at 150amps?

It seems like it would simplify things
Honestly I probably couldn't, My response was a little hyperbolic, but the components are all off the shelf stuff that can be had from Jaycar and the like. There doesn't appear to be anything tricky or out-of-the-ordinary going on. It really appears to just be a VERY robust circuit board. Don't get me wrong, the idea is excellent, and the implementation appears to be very well done, and I'd love to see how they achieved the high current capacity of the board, BUT I couldn't pony up $700 for just that.

for me, personally, figuring out how to do it that on my own and designing and building it is 3/4 of the fun in having a 4WD.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I probably couldn't, My response was a little hyperbolic, but the components are all off the shelf stuff that can be had from Jaycar and the like. There doesn't appear to be anything tricky or out-of-the-ordinary going on. It really appears to just be a VERY robust circuit board. Don't get me wrong, the idea is excellent, and the implementation appears to be very well done, and I'd love to see how they achieved the high current capacity of the board, BUT I couldn't pony up $700 for just that.

for me, personally, figuring out how to do it that on my own and designing and building it is 3/4 of the fun in having a 4WD.
Totally agree 👍 the only thing I wish it did was offer switching as well.... Kind of like Redvision

·
Registered
178 Posts
look at something like this customisable relay/fuse block is more up my alley.

I picked up one for my cabin power distribution, My plan is to have 4 relays, one each that switches with ignition, accessories, 4wd and dash lights. this way I can fully customise and have different switching conditions ready at my fingertips

I've also got one of these next to my start battery for switching stuff like the thermofan, driving lights, rocks lights, rocket launchers etc.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is my solution in the engine bay so far: 5x Midifuse holders for all the big stuff (2nd batt, air comp, pwr distribution, etc), and the engine bay distro
PXL_20210306_045626910.jpg

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
look at something like this customisable relay/fuse block is more up my alley.

I picked up one for my cabin power distribution, My plan is to have 4 relays, one each that switches with ignition, accessories, 4wd and dash lights. this way I can fully customise and have different switching conditions ready at my fingertips

I've also got one of these next to my start battery for switching stuff like the thermofan, driving lights, rocks lights, rocket launchers etc.
I have seen those Bussmann units. They look pretty interesting.

I like this one 👍

·
Registered
nissan
272 Posts
Also keep in mind that you're putting all your eggs in one basket with that. If it overheats or part of it melts, fixing it out bush will be extremely difficult. If a breaker or fuse block on my setup fails, I can simply swap the wires over to a less important one, or bypass it completely.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also keep in mind that you're putting all your eggs in one basket with that. If it overheats or part of it melts, fixing it out bush will be extremely difficult. If a breaker or fuse block on my setup fails, I can simply swap the wires over to a less important one, or bypass it completely.
Hmmm, I think you would still be able to bypass it. Just means all wires go back to the second battery. I would have thought that the pcb would be fairly robust?

On my installation, the second battery would be about 30cm away so bypassing or changing wouldn't be to hard

·
Registered
nissan
272 Posts
Hmmm, I think you would still be able to bypass it. Just means all wires go back to the second battery. I would have thought that the pcb would be fairly robust?

On my installation, the second battery would be about 30cm away so bypassing or changing wouldn't be to hard
I've seen the carnage that high current failures do to circuit boards, it's basically a melted mess. Best case you solder in jumper wires, in which case you need to carry a soldering iron/solder and know how to use them, both of which are unnecissary for a conventional setup. Worst case is its dead completely and you're left with little or no auxiliary systems until you can get a replacement, which right now is only in Perth.

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. The only reason I can see for fitting one of these, is when you are extremely limited on space. Expertise is still required to properly plan out and fit the wiring and switches for all of the devices connecred to the hub.

I feel like they should have gone for gold and made a cheaper, less advanced version of the redvision system that can switch the outputs on and off. That way it would have actually taken most of the hassle out of the wiring, while saving even more space.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen the carnage that high current failures do to circuit boards, it's basically a melted mess. Best case you solder in jumper wires, in which case you need to carry a soldering iron/solder and know how to use them, both of which are unnecissary for a conventional setup. Worst case is its dead completely and you're left with little or no auxiliary systems until you can get a replacement, which right now is only in Perth.

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. The only reason I can see for fitting one of these, is when you are extremely limited on space. Expertise is still required to properly plan out and fit the wiring and switches for all of the devices connecred to the hub.

I feel like they should have gone for gold and made a cheaper, less advanced version of the redvision system that can switch the outputs on and off. That way it would have actually taken most of the hassle out of the wiring, while saving even more space.
Hmm, still not convinced it could actually happen though. The starter battery is isolated from the aux through the dc dc charger on the pcb but yeah? I don't think there is direct current flow from start battery to aux

·
Registered
nissan
272 Posts
Hmm, still not convinced it could actually happen though. The starter battery is isolated from the aux through the dc dc charger on the pcb but yeah? I don't think there is direct current flow from start battery to aux
I'm not taking about failures between batteries, I'm talking about a failure on the board itself. Eg if its inside the center console and the mrs. spills a cup of coffee and it gets drenched. Repairing it will be very difficult out bush.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not taking about failures between batteries, I'm talking about a failure on the board itself. Eg if its inside the center console and the mrs. spills a cup of coffee and it gets drenched. Repairing it will be very difficult out bush.
Oh god yes in that case absolutely 😂. No it would be mounted behind cargo barrier

·
Registered
178 Posts
Y'all realise that mounting stuff on the cargo barrier potentially removes all liability from the manufacturer if it fails during a crash?

Either way, as @Neardood1 mentioned the EGON hub is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist and basically removes all field reparability. (not without carrying a significant amount of spares and tools) I also really dislike that they're using screw terminals. such a bad choice for vehicle mounted things. The potential for bigger issues is too great for me.

If i build it, i can control it, fault find it and repair it.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Y'all realise that mounting stuff on the cargo barrier potentially removes all liability from the manufacturer if it fails during a crash?

Either way, as @Neardood1 mentioned the EGON hub is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist and basically removes all field reparability. (not without carrying a significant amount of spares and tools) I also really dislike that they're using screw terminals. such a bad choice for vehicle mounted things. The potential for bigger issues is too great for me.

If i build it, i can control it, fault find it and repair it.

Thats cool each to their own. Being in Perth I might go for a drive this holidays and check it out in person.

·
Registered
nissan gu1
37 Posts

Anyone had a look at this product. I love the concept of it. Looks very simple to wire things up. The only problem that I can see, is that you may not be able to wire direct to the starter battery and everything will be off the aux. At least I think that's how it is wired...
My take on it is way to expensive my solution and has worked for many years is a Projecta DBC 150 + a 4 pole Fuse block for ancillaries like the fridge etc. maybe $150 all up watch his latest video crazy **** for dual battery

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My take on it is way to expensive my solution and has worked for many years is a Projecta DBC 150 + a 4 pole Fuse block for ancillaries like the fridge etc. maybe $150 all up watch his latest video crazy **** for dual battery
I did watch his latest video on all that stuff. The thing that I didn't like was the 12V Man AKA Heiner Klarmann was suggesting that a alternator is bad at charging batteries??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts