Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have been unable to find any threads to match, unless i am going blind, but i am thinking of giving my zd30 a bit of a clean up internally. (australian pricing please) and Nissan Patrol ZD30 2004, gu3

now i haven't got NADS on her, and she is well over 200,000kms so you can pretty much guess what everything would be like, and i have been doing a bit of research with this recycled emissions and thinking, if i clean up the manifolds i might achieve that bit more power and better economy, and while doing so, i will be installing the block off plate and catch can and what not.

anyways, can anyone expand on what needs to be done, is it just the manifold (intake if i am correct?) that needs a good clean out, or will the head need to be cleaned also? or is there a easier way around this? or how much is a whole new manifold? whatever would be easiest :p - oh and another thing, egr blocking plates, who sells them these days? in australia

another question i have been considering doing a rebuild/reconditioning my current engine, that way when i go for long trips i don't always have to think "this could be the last" and be stranded ;) though i do trust my zd30 more than that, but there is always the possibility.
now my old man is a ex diesel mechanic so he can do the pulling down, putting back together easy enough, the rest will be to other mechanics as he doesn't have any machines or anything. what would be the rough cost, and the list of items i may have to replace?

and the reason for this post is that i am wanting smoother boost, earlier boost, as i notice that when i get to 2.4k revs is when i get the boost, which i could nearly say it is like a surge, or is this just factory for the zd30s

thanks in advance guys :)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Its close to a full days work to pull the manifold and clean properly. I think there are a vendor or 2 on this site who sell egr blocking plates, try roadrunner off road. As for rebuilding the engine it might be cheaper to buy a brand new crate motor and transfer all your accessories to that.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Its close to a full days work to pull the manifold and clean properly. I think there are a vendor or 2 on this site who sell egr blocking plates, try roadrunner off road. As for rebuilding the engine it might be cheaper to buy a brand new crate motor and transfer all your accessories to that.
Edit, that included fitting nads and catch can.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
and the reason for this post is that i am wanting smoother boost, earlier boost, as i notice that when i get to 2.4k revs is when i get the boost, which i could nearly say it is like a surge, or is this just factory for the zd30s

Do the nads first. It will help solve the reason for your post.
My advice is don't worry about cleaning the manifolds until you have done nads.
You can reach into the inlet manifold and carefully scrape out some gunk by just taking the intake manifold off (its just a couple of bolts).

My 2001 gu2 has done 270,000 and I've never had the intake manifold off to clean it.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
nissan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was going to be doing the nads at the same time as it would be easier to do everything at once as i thought. and i have put my hand in there once before and gave it a bit of a clean out which was when i did my glow plugs as i saw a bit of gunk build up on the entry point when we had the intercooler and some other things pulled off, and i did notice a bit of a change in performance when clearing the gunk that we could reach.

but anyways, would you guys actually recommend pulling the intake manifold down and cleaning it, or just do the nads and leave it?

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
495 Posts
Take the throttle body off and have a look down the manifold, if it looks bad clean it, if not to bad just do the nads and leave.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
i was going to be doing the nads at the same time as it would be easier to do everything at once as i thought. and i have put my hand in there once before and gave it a bit of a clean out which was when i did my glow plugs as i saw a bit of gunk build up on the entry point when we had the intercooler and some other things pulled off, and i did notice a bit of a change in performance when clearing the gunk that we could reach.

but anyways, would you guys actually recommend pulling the intake manifold down and cleaning it, or just do the nads and leave it?
It is a big job that even experianced mechanics on here didn't enjoy doing.

Spend the money on the nads gear first.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi guys, have been unable to find any threads to match, unless i am going blind, but i am thinking of giving my zd30 a bit of a clean up internally. (australian pricing please) and Nissan Patrol ZD30 2004, gu3

now i haven't got NADS on her, and she is well over 200,000kms so you can pretty much guess what everything would be like, and i have been doing a bit of research with this recycled emissions and thinking, if i clean up the manifolds i might achieve that bit more power and better economy, and while doing so, i will be installing the block off plate and catch can and what not.

anyways, can anyone expand on what needs to be done, is it just the manifold (intake if i am correct?) that needs a good clean out, or will the head need to be cleaned also? or is there a easier way around this? or how much is a whole new manifold? whatever would be easiest :p - oh and another thing, egr blocking plates, who sells them these days? in australia

another question i have been considering doing a rebuild/reconditioning my current engine, that way when i go for long trips i don't always have to think "this could be the last" and be stranded ;) though i do trust my zd30 more than that, but there is always the possibility.
now my old man is a ex diesel mechanic so he can do the pulling down, putting back together easy enough, the rest will be to other mechanics as he doesn't have any machines or anything. what would be the rough cost, and the list of items i may have to replace?

Seriously mate, where I used to work we'd call your proposal a bad case of "MONKEYITIS".
In other words, "IF IT AINT BUST, LEAVE IT ALONE."
If the engine is performing as it should, LEAVE IT ALONE.
If it BLOWS UP, O.K. knock yourself out, but IMHO, I'd be going for a crate engine, don't forget you'd also need to O/haul ancillary components such as turbo/water pump/alternator/a/c/radiator/recore/flush ect/clutch/flywheel . Cause sure as God made them little apples, if you don't do the whole hog, she'll bite you on the bum later, and you'll hafta work on her again.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Take the throttle body off and have a look down the manifold, if it looks bad clean it, if not to bad just do the nads and leave.
Yeah that's what I meant to say - throttle body :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts