Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Murphys Law magnet
nissan patrol 08 model
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just want to rack your brains for a minute...I got my 3.0l CRD serviced today and while ghey were at it I got them to block the egr... one problem. Now on revs it starts to squeal. Starts quiet but as I rev it gets louder. It seems as once its done boosting it goes away. My question; has anyone had this problem before or know what it may be....im really upset with mechanics lately it wasnt doing this before but it was too late before I realised and they had shut for the day:mad:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Did you supply the blanking plate?
Can you see if they have actually installed the plate?
Is it a solid plate or does it have a hole?
It shouldnt squeal.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu6
1,601 Posts
Its sounds like you might have an exhaust leak where they installed the blank. They may have damaged the gasket or may have not even put it back in

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Definitely an exhaust leak. Sounds like a slipping fanbelt but goes away - because the manifold (or EGR piping) heats up, expands, and seals the leak.

It's a pretty normal sort of thing to happen to CRDs, unfortunately, whether you block the EGR or not.

Where was it blocked? There's two main spots - at the exhaust manifold (just above the turbo) or at the EGR system, which sits on the drivers side of the engine, under and forward of the intercooler.

The leak can also be due to a cracked EGR manifold, which goes from the rear of the exhaust manifold, around the back of the head, and forward to the EGR system itself.

It won't do any damage, but you do need to get it resolved. Still under warranty?

Reactions: lindsay80587

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
^^^ yep I've heard or read that about the EGR pipe that it can crack while putting in a blanking plate... worth a look for sure...

This aint good. bout to help out a guy I just met in town here with his 2010 CRD.

We will be going in gentle that's for sure, wanna help the guy not damage his car.;)

·
Murphys Law magnet
nissan patrol 08 model
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all you definitely know your stuff I took it back down to the mechanic and its the exhaust manifold... pure coincidence that it happened after the service. Its not coming from where they blocked the egr. I got quoted 1100 to get it fixed...does that seem steep? Im waiting on a quote back from another mechanic. :headwall:

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
33 Posts
Just had mine go. Started as a failed belt Tensioner and escalated to the exhaust manifold. Along the way, the radiator return hose connection broke off. Was at around $2100 by this stage. Now have the inter cooler sounding like a teakettle and have a new ARE intercooler on the way (around $1300).

Replaced my studs with inconel studs and new genuine nuts in a bid to stop it happening again.

The belt tensioner was around $400 or so (ouch) and the raditaror around $450 so the $1100 quoted seems around the mark. Real pig of a job as well as so much need to be removed to gain access to the exhaust manifold. Ended up taking an hour just to remove one broken stud at the front of number 1 cylinder.

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Real pig of a job as well as so much need to be removed to gain access to the exhaust manifold. Ended up taking an hour just to remove one broken stud at the front of number 1 cylinder.
Agreed mate, just did mine as well but had to pull out both studs from the 1st cylinder. I ended up replacing all the studs with genuine ones..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts