1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Advice please!

Doing the usual EGR Block to my 07 CRD and when removing the two bolts on the EGR valve to fit the blanking plate one of the bolts sheared-off - was only using a 3/8 drive ratchet and no undue force - these Nissan fasteners seem to be all made of cheese!

So, as the head of the bolt came adrift and left a stud in the valve, I fitted the plate and tightened all the bolts back up. Then I went and had a beer and a think.

Now the dilemma - do I need to get the EGR Valve off and the bolt drilled-out and re-threaded or will I be ok to blank off at the Turbo side and leave the inlet side as is ( the EGR tube is snug and secure, not sure about long-term use though with only one bolt on the actual flange.)

It looks a real pain to get the EGR valve off and also means breaking into the coolant system which I would like to avoid. If the broken bolt cannot be safely removed the cost of a replacement Valve is huge.

Any advice on how to sort would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Is it common to block the egr at the egr on CRD? I've only blocked on the connecting pipe (which doesn't require removing the egr).

I'm guessing you will need to get it fixed at some stage, by blocking the other end now you may develop an annoying leak at the egr (unless you sealed it pretty well).

·
Registered
Nissan patrol my08
42 Posts
If it snapped the head of and left the thread part are you able to get a pair of vice-grips on the stud. A good soak with wd40 might get it out

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EGR Block problem - sorted.

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up sealing the EGR Valve flange with a thin smear of exhaust sealant and tightened the one bolt as best as I could - looks ok.

I then blocked the Turbo-end of the EGR system with a full blanking plate. This will ensure that no exhaust pressure/temp reaches the Valve and the 'bodged' joint should be fine.

I am getting a remap done by a local diesel tuner who knows his stuff and he is writing-out all the EGR system from the ECU so its as if the complete EGR system never existed..... I could strip out all the EGR components but its not really worth the effort unless you are stripping the engine anyway.

Cheers, Rick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts