Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes
I went to Bunnings to buy a sheet of metal to make a blocking plate. The best size I found was a sheet of builders galvinised sheet metal. Do you think this would work?

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gu dx
33 Posts
How easy is it to block and where is it can someone help pictures anything cos Iv got no idea. Iv got a 02 3ltr gu

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
1cm thick for me. . . . iv gotta have it thick enough to mount my egt probe tho. . . .
WTF dude... how are you planning to mount an EGT probe in the blocking plate?

Are you drilling the now unused EGR pipe to get the thermo couple leads out?

Won't it be a low flow hot spot with the block?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
WTF dude... how are you planning to mount an EGT probe in the blocking plate?

Are you drilling the now unused EGR pipe to get the thermo couple leads out?

Won't it be a low flow hot spot with the block?
ET, iv got a TD42, so he egr comes from my exhaust manifold about 1inch from my head, right in front of my turbo inlet. its a fair sized hole, so ill just pull the pipe out(get rid of the whole thing.) mill up a plate to match the holes on the original egr flange and tap a thread in it for my egt probe, stick it straight back where my egr came from. perfect spot.

ill take photo's as i get it done, and put them in my build thread.

Im not silly enough to put my pyro on my inlet manifold, and wait to see 500c before backing off.;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed you have indicated to block the plate that is up near the intake throttle body. I blocked mine at the bottom of the drivers side of the engine (as pictured in the reference document). Would it hurt to block both ends?

Here ya go Dude!!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
I noticed you have indicated to block the plate that is up near the intake throttle body. I blocked mine at the bottom of the drivers side of the engine (as pictured in the reference document). Would it hurt to block both ends?
Where you have blocked it on the drivers side is the norm, no problem, don't need to do each end.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gu dx
33 Posts
So when u block it do u put any silastic or anything like that on the plate or do u just bolt it back up

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
I have a tube of pipe jointing sealant called Stag, very good in this application, Bunnings would have it, smeared the plate with that before inserting into place, will also assist to retard any electrolysis that may occur with the aluminium. Any good gasket sealant that has heat properties is OK.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gu dx
33 Posts
I have a tube of pipe jointing sealant called Stag, very good in this application, Bunnings would have it, smeared the plate with that before inserting into place, will also assist to retard any electrolysis that may occur with the aluminium. Any good gasket sealant that has heat properties is OK.
Hey mate what do u mean retard any electrolysis how do u do that?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Hey mate what do u mean retard any electrolysis how do u do that?
Nothing serious, sometimes you can get a reaction between metals ie, Aluminium doesn't like Stainless Steel and will react, the amount depends on the grade of both metals. So I just like to cover all my bases and so I put a coating of sealant on both side of the gal plate just to be extra safe and it helps to seal as well.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
57 Posts
i just bought one off ferret cant go wrong cut to right size and delivered to your door :p

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
ET, iv got a TD42, so he egr comes from my exhaust manifold about 1inch from my head, right in front of my turbo inlet. its a fair sized hole, so ill just pull the pipe out(get rid of the whole thing.) mill up a plate to match the holes on the original egr flange and tap a thread in it for my egt probe, stick it straight back where my egr came from. perfect spot.

ill take photo's as i get it done, and put them in my build thread.

Im not silly enough to put my pyro on my inlet manifold, and wait to see 500c before backing off.;)
ROFLMAO... p1ss off out of our 3 litre thread then :p :p :p

Nah, just jokin' ... stupid me for typing before thinking... can't quite picture you in a ZD... sounds like a great idea, cobber.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts