Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing people say to block the EGR in my Patrol, then I hear other people say not to. I am about as un-mechanical a person as you could get and was wondering, do all cars have an EGR, or only diesels, or only Patrols? Are the EGR problems exclusive to just Patrols or all other cars? For instance, should I block the EGR on my ford ranger well as my Patrol? Does my ranger even have an EGR?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
most petrols since the 80's and most diesels since the 90's have egr.
egr problems happen to all vehicles tho other factors can make certain models worse than others.
diesels are effected worse because they use larger amounts of egr than petrol and that the poorer combustion caused by the egr increases the amount of soot produced, which in turn fouls up the intake.

ranger has egr. however blocking egr off is not always straight forward as some engines detect that its not working.

·
Registered
nissan
130 Posts
^ well said. I did it to a late model diesel Hilux and was 'rough' when shutting engine down, and gained no extra power or better economy as some people report. My 2.8 gu was already blocked when I bought it so don't know the difference if any. I've just ordered a turbo from United and will be removing all the egr in my 4.2 at the same time

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Yeah if you are going to block the egr you should take other precautions to compensate for the effect on the boost. Remember that the egr does provide positive pressure to the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive just been wondering why this always seems to come up with Patrols. Even when I was at a tyre place the other day the guy there said to make sure I block the EGR, when I'm camping other campers ask if I've blocked the EGR, yet when im in my Ranger no one ever even mentions an EGR. It seems exclusive to Patrols for some reason.

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
1,090 Posts
Where can I get a EGR plate to suit my 4.2 TDI please ?
Also on the ranger forum they are blocking the egr on rangers so I hear .

·
Registered
33,169 Posts
Ive just been wondering why this always seems to come up with Patrols. Even when I was at a tyre place the other day the guy there said to make sure I block the EGR, when I'm camping other campers ask if I've blocked the EGR, yet when im in my Ranger no one ever even mentions an EGR. It seems exclusive to Patrols for some reason.
"Have you block your EGR valve in your patrol "? I've had my blocking plate for months now but I still haven't done it yet. I don't know if I ever will. The jury is still out on that one.
Edit: I've put a provent catch can in tho, that Stops heaps of chit.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Yeah if you are going to block the egr you should take other precautions to compensate for the effect on the boost. Remember that the egr does provide positive pressure to the inlet manifold.
not really. it balances out fairy quickly and a lot of diesels use throttle butterfly to lower manifold boost pressure so more egr can flow in.
what you have to cater for is because its not leaking out a large amount of exhaust gas down the egr system, the turbo has more push on it, and because its not recirculating a large amount of gas, the turbo (and air filter) have to flow a larger volume of air.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Edit: I've put a provent catch can in tho, that Stops heaps of chit.
IMO that is more important than the EGR block. Looking at the amount of blow-by oil in my intercooler and how wet the crap in my intake manifold is, my opinion is that the EGR causes the oil to gunk up. If you take the oil away, surely the EGR residual should be no worse than an exhaust pipe; which is just a dusting of carbon a couple hundred micron thick, not millimetres of sludge.

Putting a catch can on also has no adverse effect on the running of the motor.

Reactions: clawrence

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMO that is more important than the EGR block. Looking at the amount of blow-by oil in my intercooler and how wet the crap in my intake manifold is, my opinion is that the EGR causes the oil to gunk up. If you take the oil away, surely the EGR residual should be no worse than an exhaust pipe; which is just a dusting of carbon a couple hundred micron thick, not millimetres of sludge.

Putting a catch can on also has no adverse effect on the running of the motor.
I'm assuming putting a catch can on doesn't affect warranty?

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
1,090 Posts
Anyone got a link to buy a catch can from western filters ? And yes I have searched . If there is not a link I will give them a call tomorrow . Also I tried eBay

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Thanks is this the one that suits 4.2 .
I think they are pretty universal.. just the connecting pipes might need adapters.. anything from a 2.8 to a semi trailer...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts