Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have started this thread so as not to hijack EGT temp Survey and copied a reply from geeyouto below;

Hi Arwon,

My fitting is mounted about 50mm from flange on dump pipe side so very similar to yours, theoretically it should be cooler the further you get away from the manifold.

I know the CRD's run a bit hotter than DI's but 750C @ towing is right up there, wonder if it's over fueling a bit. You may well benefit from the EGR mod as well.

My problem is that I have installed a pyro gauge and the sender for the pyro is 40mm post turbo flange and my temps look high to me even before I put a van and load on the back. In reading some to the post from others about their temp's mine run about 75 - 100 c higher but in saying that others have mounted their pyro sender around 100 - 150 mm post the turbo flange.

I have tested the calibration of my unit (see pic) and it reads correct for the boiling water test.

So my question is, seeing, I have mounted the pyro sender 40 mm post turbo flange, what temp should I keep my vehicle below especially seeing i'm going to be doing a trip towing a 2 tonne van?

EGT example:

Hume H’way south bound out of Sydney slight incline (just before Picton Rd exit, for those who know the area) doing 110 KPH (5 speed manual) and temps go up to 550 – 600 c pending any head or tail breeze. If I run the Chip it will try to go higher.
Standard exhaust, no EGR mod’s 2008 CRD 3.0L

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
I've got an auto CRD and when towing up really steep hills would get up to 630C, 550C would be quite normal on smaller hills. I've just installed a 3" exhaust and my exhaust temps didn't really drop. Like you, my EGT probe is about 50mm from the turbo outlet, so I think I'm getting the full exit temp.

That said, I've never really been worried about the temps, as there's absolutely nothing that you can do about them. If you need to get up that steep hill and the temps go up, what do you do? Taking your foot of the accelerator won't do a thing except bring you to a stop.

The CRDs just run hotter and the 3.0lts run hotter than the 4.2lts in general. The engines are more or less designed to handle those temps, so you just have to live with it.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
106 Posts
550 max from what I been told. If it starts to climb I just back off and drop down a gear, That keeps the temps down. mine is a td4.2 .

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
I was told to beware 650 degrees or above. I have a 4.2TD GU (05). Yet, without trailer, on inclines on the Syd - Can freeway at 110 kmh It can reach easily in 4th and 5th - I cog swap between the two depending on what is necessary. I also know that lifting the pedal a fraction also lowers the temp - no matter what gear. If overtaking I try not to look at the damn thing.

So, what is the safe temp range for my y61 4.2TD? I wish I knew!

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
It would be good if someone with a stock car could throw one in each of the engines before mods take place. Then we'd know what they were from factory. Towing at 110kph and hit a big hill mine can get to 650 easy. As said I generally go back a gear to increase the rpm. Ive heard and read it all. I wont go over 650 and if it does get there, It's only for a few seconds. Not towing I would struggle to get over 550c.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
23 Posts
550 max from what I been told. If it starts to climb I just back off and drop down a gear, That keeps the temps down. mine is a td4.2 .
X2. I was told the same thing when I had my TD42 turboed

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
Pistion metel with melt at 1150deg
650 deg is around the stage that the pistion can be distored
iv had my way over 650 standed
Common rail will runing hoter egts than the 4.2 but pistion are made from diffrent metels

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
The GQ would hit 550 fairly easily when I had it with teh schwitzer on it from Denco.

on the GU - I too wouldnt go above 600, and backed off at 500 when stock.

But since the new turbo went on and exhaust, i dont get to 500.

Was a scottish bloke on outers years ago stated his Garrett turbo on a TD42 was glowing red - similar to this. Nobody believed him!

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
We had a couple Maserati motors on our Transmission dyno at work & the twin turbos ran like that for 24hrs on and off cycling as the auto was doing its thing, we destroyed a couple motors which they, Maserati were horrified to see.

Not a diesel, but still great to see.

·
Registered
nissan
302 Posts
my 4.2.has the denco turbo and 3in ex was told not to let it go over 500 runs
lot better since it had the dyno...2004 GU 4.2

·
Registered
nissan
110 Posts
itested my gu3 auto when it was stock before i did the mods. on a very slight incline out of brisbane, when the egr cut in the boost dropped and the temps started climbing to well over 600.
my pyro is about 50mm post turbo. this was at 1oo kph highway speed.
i **** my pants to think that this is what the engine has been doing all of its life. that was with cruise control on and the slightest of inclines. it was sitting around the 450ish until it started the small climb then up she went.

i then blocked egr and did dawes mod and doing the same drive, boost increases and pyro sits at around 380ish. the slight incline doesnt worry it as the boost isnt being limited by the ecu while the egr cuts in. witht the slight incline it puts in more fuel for the extra demand to maintain speed but not enough to cancel the egr. extra fuel = extra heat and hey presto 600+ temps occur.

since the mods i only ever get close to 600 when im pushing it up the toowoomba range or towing my camper up hilly areas. then i just knock it out of o/d or back to 3rd and the temps come down, ususally sitting around the 500+

·
Registered
nissan
81 Posts
my 4.2td at 110 runs around 300 deg on flat level road, can get 500 up steep hills feeding it into it. towing the c/van runs around 350 on the flat but rises fairly quickly as road inclines right up to 550deg, but tends to stabilise. probe about 40mm from flange.
I agree with just lifting foot a little up inclines, it seems to stabilise temp without loss of speed.

on another note against all odds and advise I fitted a 9" fan over the ic last w/end and gave it a run yesterday. on flat level ground with fan on, around 50 to 75 deg reduction at 110kmph consistantly.
the test was done over quite a few k's and switching fan off temp went back up, on back down.

I'm hoping it will make a difference towing the van up hills as the speed drops off to pull some air out of the dead air over the bonnet.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Hi Arwon, for some reason there does not seem to be a lot of interest from the CRD punters not sure why!

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
i **** my pants to think that this is what the engine has been doing all of its life. +
My exact point. And these engines keep on going.
So in the end it comes down to engine life.....An engine at 450c will probably last longer then one run at 600c all day.
I only see the high temps when towing, up long hills. If it was happening as a daily driver then I would be concerned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts