Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best (& easiest place) to fit an EGT "probe" on a CRD?
Is it possible to fit without removing major parts of the exhaust?
The pyro tip has a 1/8 NPT threaded end, has anybody got a simple solution?

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Well, pre turbo is technically the best but also requires the most engineering effort

Almost everyone goes post turbo and takes the Heatshield off the dump pipe behind the turbo and welds the adapter onto the exhaust there. Depending exactly where you mount it you can then use a hole saw on the Heatshield if necessary but be accurate and keep the hole just big enough for the probe.

If that isn't an option, remove the shield anyway for ease of access and get the mount welded as high up the dump pipe as is practible.

The closer post turbo you are the quicker the response but you can be a reasonable way away as the EGT temps in the dump pipe don't drop off all that quickly when the engine is working hard... maybe add 30 degrees or so if you are a long way down the dump

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Droolyn,

You might like to concider the following kit with the TC-KEGT clamp on Thermocouple similar to Ray's:-

12V Digital Pyrometer/ EGT Gauge Kit - 2 Meter Kit | Pyrometer / EGT Kits | Scintex - Automotive, Industrial & Mining Suppliers

I drilled in situ 50mm after Turbo and install this kit with some exhaust putty.
Also have an audible alarm set at 575 degrees C which regularly goes off when towing up hill.

To assist in removing heat shield, after loosing partial rotate top forward.
Hope this helps.

Regards LesDef

·
Registered
Nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the replys! You guys are really helpfull with photos and all!
I have actually ordered a similar Sintex kit, as recommended by LesDef!
Still waiting for it to arrive from manufacturer, Auber Instruments in States (gotta love the AU$ exchange rate!!) was going to order from local supplier, but didn't need the extras supplied with the kit, and why pay more??
Got the pyro with 1/8NPT, hence the need to weld the socket, but we've got some good welders at work, so just have to remove the dump pipe and get it done!!
Ordered the same digital display for BOOST gauge, so that will be my next query, but not sure what fittings it will require, will have to wait for the parcel to arrive!!
I chose these digital displays as I like the set-point alarms that can be programmed in for max temp & boost (per induvidual display).
Plan to fit them behind the flip up compartment lid in the centre of the dash (were the sat-nav goes in the more expensive models). Don't need to be permanently reminded of the "grenade issues".... shhhh....while I'm driving, which is the feeling I get from the A-pillar pod mounted gauges!
Also a bit too "Fast & Furious" for my liking!! But that's just my opinion! No harm intended!
Thanx again for the inputs, this forum is really informative!!
Cheers Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts