Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes:does any 1 know where i would put a EGT/Pyrometer on my Chevy exhaust, as i am running block huggers into 3 inch down under,just need to know where i would drill into. would it be the huggers piston #6 or where it goes into 2 into 1??? as i am not running a turbo. no need when you have 467hpr Chevy:iconbana:this would be a big help. the mechanic said to me he has never heard of a EGT/Pyrometer what a ****** any way some ides would be nice thanks guys:punkrock::punkrock::punkrock:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Run a heated o2 sensor instead. You want a 3 wire or a 4 wire. buy a decent gauge and see what probe they recommend. do not buy a cheap one, they aren't much use at all.
put it on one side, where it will sample 4 cylinders but as close to the motor as you can.
while you're at it weld a bung in the other side so you can swap it over if you want and plug it with a buggered old sensor

EGT is the the old timer's way of trying to do what you can measure with an o2 sensor.
Or its for when your fuel will poison an 02 sensor (Diesel, avgas, etc).
Or when your fuel system is so terrible you'll wreck an 02 sensor with raw fuel (any holley carb other than the centre bowl 465CFM)

Now if you STILL want to run EGT with extractors and get meaningful numbers: put spacer plates on your block huggers and put one probe on every cylinder. You can buy 8 input EGT gauges at aviation suppliers.

Depending on your purposes you might be better off selling the EGT gauge and putting the money toward a dyno tune or a better distributor or something.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that i might just do a dyno still not sure what I'm trying to do just need to know what the motors thinking

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will do. o2 sensor & a air fuel gage ya recon, ok just havto remember I'm running a straight gas motor and no fuel, thanx ppl much appreciate on this talk

·
Registered
nissan/navara
51 Posts
Yeah its all about the tune. exhaust gas temps, air/fuel ratio and oxygen in the exhaust are closely related.

Best is probably to get a dyno tune done on straight gas (obviously) and get the mixtures set right.

Do you run ecu controlled injection or carbs?

O2 sensors are more for vehicle with ECU's so they can alter the mixtures accodingly. Unless you yourself alter the tune of the car, get it tuned properly and leave it alone. Coming from some one who has sorted out other peoples rubbish when they get into trouble. ( anything from running rough to having to replace holed pistons)

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running a 750 secondary vac carb, its non injection cause the rta wont let me run dual fuel, unless it was fuel injection so all the tanks and lines had to be removed. never the less i can put them back on when i find a fuel injection system for it, as I'm having trouble finding them. any way i will be looking into a dyno to get the mixture right, i know my set up is a bit lean, any way cheers mate for your info its a big help.....

·
Registered
nissan/navara
51 Posts
I'm running a 750 secondary vac carb, its non injection cause the rta wont let me run dual fuel, unless it was fuel injection so all the tanks and lines had to be removed. never the less i can put them back on when i find a fuel injection system for it, as I'm having trouble finding them. any way i will be looking into a dyno to get the mixture right, i know my set up is a bit lean, any way cheers mate for your info its a big help.....
Yeah, i was thinking the gas could either be injected or carbs. With a carb, it should be easy to tune. Take it to a reputable gas mob and you should be able to get a decent tune for it. Just make sure the mixtures are right (not lean like you alluded to)

Remember gas/petrol lean is HOTTER = BAD (opposite to a diesel) If you think its running lean better to get onto it before it does any damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts