Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LOCK, STOCK & 4 SMOKIN MUDDIES!
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question for my brother:
I should know this (because I own one) but does anyone know exactly where the electric window relays are located on a GU Patrol??
A mate of his wants to try and hook something up so that you can operate the windows for a short while after the key has been turned off, so any info on that would be appreciated too!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
nissan
186 Posts
I don't have the manual, but I think (will double check tomorrow as I have the manual at work) but the controller is in the kick panel on the driver or passengers side.

There is a single relay to enable/disable the window system. Put in an additional relay to connect battery power (add a to that run too) to the power run to the motors and switches.

Many people mount a pushbutton on the dash to "override".

A nifty trick might be to adapt a cheap turbo timer (from Jaycar) to hold the windows on for 30-60 seconds after ignition turn-off. So its much like a newer commodore etc. I missed having it since my old VT I previously owned.

·
Registered
nissan
186 Posts
Hi dee4,

Its on the passenger side of the car behind the glove box. The easiest thing to do is to remove the glove box. It is in the bank of relays to the left side of the blower motor.

There are 3 relays there, it is the lowest one. The wires that need to be "joined" are the (White/Red) and the (White) cables on the back of the relay. One is from the circuit breaker for the windows and the second goes to the switches to operate the windows. If you place another relay (30A horn relay would do), and switch that relay from another switch or use a turbo timer to get the 30 second delay...

·
Registered
154 Posts
dee.. that is correct about the relays, there is a thread in here with a circuit diagram to activate the windows with a monentry switch and a small relay mounted near existng ones, I've done the mods and it work well.

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
I did that initially ....ie: mucked around with a momentry contact button and I could then operate the windows at any time without the ignition being on.... BUT... it didn't work on the driver's 4 switches!!!???:( . It meant that if you wanted to operate a window (other than the driver's own window), you just had to hold down the momentry contact switch, which I mounted on a block where the ashtray used to be, and then the window could be operated (but only by the switch associated with THAT door).

Didn't like that one, so I used another wiring description (from somewhere on this forum I think) and cut and joined a couple of wires in the switch panel on the driver's door. To me, this was more practical as I can control what windows need to be raised/lowered at any time.

After all, the main reason we want this switch alteration is to avoid the need to re-insert the key and turn to IGN when, after having stopped the engine, realising that one the kids or the missus (or even self) has left a window down:!: .

Anyway, it works for me, better than mucking around with the relay. I still have the instructions at home if anybody would like me to re-post them.

Cheers

Roachie

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Anyway, it works for me, better than mucking around with the relay. I still have the instructions at home if anybody would like me to re-post them.

Cheers

Roachie[/quote]

Hey roachie can you repost as I would like to do this mod, thanks mate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Roachie, I'm with mainey88, can you re-post please coz I don't really want to muck around with relays especially extra ones.
THANKS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys (I'm the brother that asked the original question). I plan on doing the mod to my wheels as well but I'm not yet sure which option I'll go with.....

I'm no sparky so don't laugh, but has anyone ever tried a glow plug relay (built in timer)? Some of the older diesels had quite a long glow timer which may be usable in this situation??

Thanks again

·
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
I will type this exactly as it was when I read it................

The padded part of the arm rest clips off, this exposes some screw so that you can remove the top of the console. Flip the console over so that you are viewing it from the under side. (It will be sort of hanging on the wiring loom anyway).

Now I assume that you are now standing beside the open door facing forward, looking at the underside of the console.

Starting at the top left of the main plug the third position to the right should be a white wire with a black stripe. This is your power wire (one of the thicker wires). Check and confirm with a test light that you have power when the key is off. You need to splice into this wire to pick up power and connect it to the wires identified below. (Leave a tail about 4 inches long).

Starting at the bottom left of the same plug the fourth position to the right (red wire with yellow stripe, thin wire) and the fifth position (all white wire, thick). These 2 wires need to be cut and joined together (on the plug side) along with the tail from the power wire above.

The two remaining cut wires that disappear into the loom remain unjoined and can be taped up and tucked away neatly.

End quote.

It was easy to follow when I did it to my 2000 GU. By the way.....as far as splicing into the power wire is concerned, what I did was to use a sharp scalpal and make 2 cuts around the insulation, about 3mm apart. I then cut the insulation between the 2 circular cuts and peeled off that small bit of insulation. It was then just a case of winding the bared end of the 4" long extra wire around this power wire and soldering it. (I HATE those "scotch-locks" thingos with a passion, but you could use one of them to do the job if you like). I then joined all 3 wires together and soldered the joint. Cover the bared ends with either insulation tape or use liquid insulation tape (from Jaycar etc).

Cheers

Roachie

·
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
No worries mate.....good luck.

Just so you are fully aware......this alteration only works on the driver's door switches (all 4 windows). It does not activate the window-operating buttons on the other 3 doors.

Cheers

Roachie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi I bought a small timer kit from Jaycar that counts down when ignition is turned of $24 set it for 1 minute or so. Connected it to main window supply and now have 1 minute to shut windows from any switch in the car works a treat

·
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
Just curious as to whether any of you blokes have tried this conversion today....IE: the one I wrote up the wiring description for??

·
Registered
62 Posts
:p Na I went straight to fuse box and wired up straight to accessorie fuse:) think I spelt that right and spliced into that :cool:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just curious as to whether any of you blokes have tried this conversion today....IE: the one I wrote up the wiring description for??
Haven't done it yet Roachie cos i'm still looking at the wiring (i hate electrics) in relation to mine as I only have the 2 windows and I don't want to f#@k this up.
If I don't get a call out on Sunday then hopefully i'll give it a go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should know this (because I own one) but does anyone know exactly where the electric window relays are located on a GU Patrol??
A mate of his wants to try and hook something up so that you can operate the windows for a short while after the key has been turned off, so any info on that would be appreciated too!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just fitted a part from a local Supplyer in QLD Australia.
2 minute job works awesome. Good people to deal with. Highly recommend

Thanks!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts