Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a few odds and ends to deliver power to within the cabin. These are:
1. illumination for gauges and switches which should only be active if I have lights on and;
2. a feed that is only active when accessories are enabled i.e. driven off ignition key position.

Everything else will be handled by relays, so we are talking about low amp requirements

What is the best circuit to tap into for either of them? I will get ground and constant from elsewhere.

·
Every dog has his day
17,930 Posts
It would help if you told us what model car you have, and perhaps in the electrical section.

Assuming it's a GU, a feed for lights is blue with black trace, available anywhere in dash, back of cig plug, stereo, etc.

If it's a diesel GU (not sure if all, but certainly the IV) an ignition is available in wiring from ignition plug, plain blue wire (will remain live when cranking).

Not sure that's what you want, you said active when accessories enabled, but then said driven off ignition. So do you want accessories or ignition? Two very different thing with different wires.

I have no idea if this blue wire is the case with petrols sorry.

·
Every dog has his day
17,930 Posts
I used the ashtray light for my gauge lights. Works well.

Now I've said that it will probably stop working well.
If I had a dollar for every time I’ve fixed a patrol that blows tail light fuse after getting a clutch done I’d buy a carton!

The mechanic says ‘lights nothing to do with clutch mate’ to the owner, but he’s squashed the blue/black near the ashtray when he’s refitted the gearbox haha!

Very common trap for young players.

Btw perfectly good spot to get a light feed Marko 👍

·
Registered
583 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time I’ve fixed a patrol that blows tail light fuse after getting a clutch done I’d buy a carton!

The mechanic says ‘lights nothing to do with clutch mate’ to the owner, but he’s squashed the blue/black near the ashtray when he’s refitted the gearbox haha!

Very common trap for young players.

Btw perfectly good spot to get a light feed Marko 👍
I shorted the loom out when tapping in. Surprise surprise Auto patrol wouldnt shift from park.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Oh my God those adaptors/jumpers are the dodgiest things. Guy who invented them should be shot.
OP. I ran a decent power wire in from the battery to a twin bussed fuse box in the cab. One side is live off batt all the time, then I jumper off that to a relay and back to the other bus with the relay being ignition triggered. Therefore in the one relay box I have a set of live fuses contacts and a set of ignition powered fuses contacts. And only I single power wire in from the engine bay to power all extras inside and no nest of piggyback wires off other stuff. Only piggybacked circuits are for dash connected lighting.
You could do this with separate fuse boxes cheaper and you can do 2 relays of you want ign and accessory triggered if that floats your boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Leethal
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 is the best Nissan Patrol forum to discuss the SUV’s specs, parts, accessories, reviews, problems and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing