Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after Big Bear and Ethan got stuck it got me thinking, What if they were further out and had no phone signal and it took a couple of days to find them?

Do any of you carry some sort of emergency kit with you when going wheeling?

Does any one at least carry a couple of litres of water (this works two ways as you can use it to drink or fill rad if you spring a leak)?

Do we all wear appropriate clothing ie: shirt, decent pants, boots/hiking shoes/joggers as opposed to singlet, boardies, thongs in case the need to leave the vehicles arises?

What have people got in their kit (if they carry one).

So far i can think of some sort of location/communication device (spot tracker, PIB (land EPIRB?), or even a decent waterproof handheld UHF), A knife/multitool, maybe a firesteel or even a lighter, torch ( i have a led lenser the size of my pinky that would put some 2 D cell torches to shame that would fit in a knife/multitool sheath pocket), couple of litres of water.

After all there have been people that have died while out in the bush wheeling.
So tell me what you all think

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Mic started up a thread for his upcoming Simpson trip.
Might be worth you checking that one out as quite a few added to it.

Prevention is better than cure (where possible), so try to have all the recovery stuff for all situations you can think of.

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

A BMX bike. If outback a solar panel, motor and battery to suit. A mountain bike is better but will take more room. If you are stuck, you can get help faster than walking. It wont drown in flooded rivers, and you can carry it and walk cross-country.

Other things are obvious, but no-one seems to take a bike.

Regards B M

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Hi,

A BMX bike. If outback a solar panel, motor and battery to suit. A mountain bike is better but will take more room. If you are stuck, you can get help faster than walking. It wont drown in flooded rivers, and you can carry it and walk cross-country.

Other things are obvious, but no-one seems to take a bike.

Regards B M
In my case it would need to be two bikes... one for each rrse cheek.

If the bike was Recovery Gear it would need to be "rated" as well? I used to rate bikes when I was younger but not so much now...:crazy:

However as a point of interest I reckon don't go anywhere without a couple of litres of potable water in your vehicle. Drink it, top up the washer bottle, wash your hands, clean off a wound, just to name a few... pretty handy stuff water... they even make beer out of it.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
First aid kit and water, absolutely essential if you are leaving populated areas. A compass and map aren't far behind (but you should never leave the vehicle in a survival situation).

Matches, lighter and firestarter - to burn the spare tyre if you really need to attract attention.

$50 note to give to whoever finds you!

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
I always make sure I fill my 20L Jerry of water and another 20L jerry with Diesel, plus full main and sub. 2 fold reasons for the extra jerry, just in case I bust a fuel hose, and to top up anyone stuck on the track with an empty tank.

My snatch and tools are always in the back regardless if I'm wheeling or not.

Lighter in a pocket on the tool bag.

Unfortunately I don't always carry map and compass, but I don't often go too far of the beaten track at the moment and my GPS with Ozi is awesome and handy as it gives your coordinates... if it still has power :)

UHF is installed.

Fire Extiguisher and first aid kit when I remember to throw them in.

Other than that, I am still building up my repertoire.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Unfortunately I don't always carry map and compass, but I don't often go too far of the beaten track at the moment and my GPS with Ozi is awesome and handy as it gives your coordinates... if it still has power :)
I got a $30 Silva compass and chucked it in the glovebox so it's always there. As for maps, it's hard to have one for everywhere. But as an example, I go to the Glasshouse Mountains regularly but I still barely know more than 10-15% of the place. As I explore further, the potential to get stranded somewhere goes up and so the map of the area I carry could be the difference between walking out, and spending a cold lonely night in the car (or worse!).

I have HEMA paper maps covering most areas within 2-4 hours of home. Just in case... because it can happen close to home just as easily as in another state.

If nothing else, it gives you a bit more confidence to explore new places - I always carry my entire recovery kit when I know I'm going offroad, for the same reason - I hate going home without having checked out a new spot because I was under-prepared...

Fire Extiguisher and first aid kit when I remember to throw them in.
The day you'll need them will be the day they are back home in the garage. :crazy: I still have to mount my extinguisher but till I do it rides in the recovery kit box. First aid kit never leaves the car.

I try to operate on the principle that it is better to have it, and not need it...

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
I got a $30 Silva compass and chucked it in the glovebox so it's always there. As for maps, it's hard to have one for everywhere. But as an example, I go to the Glasshouse Mountains regularly but I still barely know more than 10-15% of the place. As I explore further, the potential to get stranded somewhere goes up and so the map of the area I carry could be the difference between walking out, and spending a cold lonely night in the car (or worse!).

I have HEMA paper maps covering most areas within 2-4 hours of home. Just in case... because it can happen close to home just as easily as in another state.

If nothing else, it gives you a bit more confidence to explore new places - I always carry my entire recovery kit when I know I'm going offroad, for the same reason - I hate going home without having checked out a new spot because I was under-prepared...

The day you'll need them will be the day they are back home in the garage. :crazy: I still have to mount my extinguisher but till I do it rides in the recovery kit box. First aid kit never leaves the car.

I try to operate on the principle that it is better to have it, and not need it...
Squalo,

I know what you mean, but my first aid kit is the home first aid kit as well and the fire extinguisher I borrow from the kitchen. Like I said still building up my kit, and these are lower on the list since I can use the ones from the house. (also my family are with me when we go out anyway so they won't be missed at home)

I have been trying to get my hands on some decent Glass House maps. I had avoided the GHM as any maps I can get from online are pretty scarce in detail. Went up last weekend to have a look, and having my GPS, I was a little more confident in getting out, even though there were no track details on the maps I had loaded. Only did a quick run as I was on my way home, but from what I did, it looks like I have found a new 4wd area.

Where did you get good maps for GHM Squalo? I would love to see more track detail maps. Also if you want someone to tag along just in case, let me know, would be happy to go exploring... plan on doing it myself anyway. :)

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
I have 2 GPS units and a compass, along with all the recovery gear ill ever need, and a massive 1st aid kit

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
In my car all of the time:

Silva compass in the glovebox.
pair of comfortable workboots and socks.
long sleeve old work shirt.
2 pairs leather gloves.
broad brimmed hat
couple of lighters.
fire extinguisher in reach of the drivers seat (bolted through the floor in front)
smallish first aid kit.
tool kit.
couple of torches

When I leave the city:
box of museli bars and a 12 or 15 litre springwater bottle from the supermarket
uhf radio.
gps if I remember it. and spare batteries.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
cash for cartage

First aid kit and water, absolutely essential if you are leaving populated areas. A compass and map aren't far behind (but you should never leave the vehicle in a survival situation).

Matches, lighter and firestarter - to burn the spare tyre if you really need to attract attention.

$50 note to give to whoever finds you!

hey i love the $50 dollar idea, i am going to keep that one for the future rescue

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
I grew up in the outback and visit many uncles and cousins still in farming / stations around WA. I will never for get a tragic case of a family of 5 found dead from dehydration next to their car not far from my granddad’s station in the 60’s, all were shading up under a river gum with a full radiator (back when radiators only had water in them). The river gum should be a dead give away, see one and moisture and or water is not too far down. Tragic, but some should never leave the metro area.

I have a grab bag (backpack) with compass, maps for each region of WA, dry food, 3 lighters, dolphin torch with spare battery and globes, heliograph mirror, leatherman, sheet of plastic. Into this I stuff the epirb and 2 hand held flares from my boat. The grab bag sits behind the drivers seat in a plastic box that also contains my fire-extinguisher, medi-bag, 15lt water container and collapsible shovel.

Some told me it’s a bit of over kill, but after seeing how fast a wild spinifex / stubble fire can spread and engulf a vehicle and set it alight (and I am not talking about spinifex build up under a vehicle), you don’t want to be hunting around for gear spread all over your vehicle. Besides, growing up in the bush and having my old man for a dad it is drummed into you with a very big stick to be prepared for the worst.

I wear boots, decent clothes and carry a hat as a matter of course even if I’m going 100kms surfing down at Margret River or 20kms to Lane Pool. Got caught out once down the 3 Bears track wearing thongs and got bogged in a VW Variant, while walking out I had a thong blow out and had to complete it barefoot back to Sugarloaf Rd where I got a lift, the heat burns and blisters to the bottom of my feet were very painful for a week after.

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
I have a HF radio, recovery equipment, lots of water and lots of fuel. We also have in car UHF and handheld UHF.

First aid kit I carry is fairly advanced. I carry enough for 4 casualties, IV lines, IV fluids, splints, dressings, sutures, wound glue, sterile tools and scalpels. Unfortunately I can't carry the drugs I would like to, but the above kit should hopefully keep any serious injuries alive long enough for the ambos to arrive.

I need to invest in a fire extinguisher - keep forgetting!

I don't carry a gun...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
47 Posts
Some told me it’s a bit of over kill, but after seeing how fast a wild spinifex / stubble fire can spread and engulf a vehicle and set it alight (and I am not talking about spinifex build up under a vehicle), you don’t want to be hunting around for gear spread all over your vehicle.
Reminds me of this story Two men survive WA outback ordeal - Yahoo!7 They were prepared but lost their water, food and gear including a satellite phone and a distress beacon in the fire.

I've got a back-pack within reach with emergency blankets, water purifying tablets, torch, matches, water, compass, some food, Leatherman etc. (still wanna add an epirb)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
a snake bit kit is somthing often overlooked. Most first aid kits dont have enough bandages to properly treat a snake bit.

And a few army ration packs.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
First aid kit, recovery gear, HF & UHF radio, water, energy food etc. We also let other people know where we are going & when we expect to return or next get in touch.

In remote area's it is also an idea where possible to register your travel with the local police - and remember to call them when you reach your destination or arrive in a populated area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts