Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok here's the plan which will start after Easter. Just after opinions, experience and advice. I'm buying a vl. Going to use the motor and wiring loom for a efi turbo change over. I'm lookin to run a hi torque crank, bore it .5 oversized, high compression rings, all the usual head mods, t3 turbo, front mount intercooler. Heavy duty clutch and gearbox service.
The boss lady has ok'd this provided I pay for it all. Fella at work says apart from the actual engine and the turbo $1000 should cover it all.
How do you think thin will affect fuel consumption (currently 16/21l pre hundred petrol/gas). also things like performance on and off road. Is it worth it, any good setups for this package eg boost, compression ratio to aim for etc...
Cheers all.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol typo damn predictive text. All fixed.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I know nothing about RB engines..
But in general with turbo petrols the following will apply:
Dont go for massive peak power with a huge turbo, keep it small so it spools up quick for a 4wd. also lots of area under the power curve is better than a radical peak thats half a gear wide.

As far as fuel consumption goes it's 100% dependent on how you drive it. I can vary the consumption of one of mine between 15 litres per 100km and 34 litres per 100km depending how its driven.
Having said that a motor built for power, if it's tuned correctly will better consumption than a standard engine driven at exactly the same acceleration rates and speeds because it breathes more efficiently.
Fuel plus air = power. If you're making close to 300kW and using it all you will use 50 litres per 100km moving a patrol around.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers mikeh. Yea that sounds about how I was thinking. Hi torque crank and small t3 turbo so that it can reduce stress on the engine during hilly driving and at low rev's. I figure if you can get the engine to push through difficult situations with minimal variation on the throttle it should be better on and off road and use less fuel. It's no race car, I'm aiming for a fresh new more reliable motor.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or should I just inject and turbo the motor in my car as is. It's running great on and off road as is. Just keen for the benefits of objectors and power from a turbo

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Objectors?

have you done a compression test on current engine?
how many klms on it?

a properly rebuilt/blueprinted engine will always be a better option if $ allows.

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
The current motor RB30S will be 9.0:1 compression. The Vl RB30et will be 7.8:1.

Add the EFI and turbo to the hi comp motor. This will make plenty of difference to off boost torque at low RPM.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
build the RB30ET at 9:1. put decent management system on it, intercool it and spend some extra on tuning it properly.
Decompressed engines are slugs off boost.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So truckers, haven't done a compression test. The motor has done 270000 ish. Still runs great, so your sayin just give it a freshen up and stick with it.
The car itself isn't slow or bad by any means. Just looking at improvements and thought, why just throw injectors on when it isn't that expensive to build a better engine from scratch maybe 2000 with change but no turbo. Or as truckster has said I could freshmen mine up which will be cheap as chips.
Oh the dilemma.

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
i am doing a very similar setup in mine, just rebuild it 4wding requires reliability... i like the idea of knowing its all new. i am using a whole vl motor as the Vl cam is a bit more rev happy. If you are going to chase any kind of fuel economy i would not use a standard ecu, i am hoping to get a haltech from a mate that can run a wideband 02 sensor and sequential injection, which means i can gas inject it as well for even cheaper running

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
its up to you..

if your happy with it, why blow money on it?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Dear oh, dear Trav. Predictive sex has got you hypoing all over the space. Why note turn of your predicate pegs?

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea its a very valid point there truckster. Probably spend some money just on injectors and a really good tune. Keep it simple.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well said Mic. Damn phone.

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
i am using a whole vl motor as the Vl cam is a bit more rev happy.
I think that's a negative but depends on your driving style, gearing and tyre size.

As said above, you're using a 9:1 comp N/A motor and adding the turbo, not a complete low comp RB30ET right? Post up results

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
is a vn - vr 5l V8 out of the question?

if your handy with the tools etc, might be worth it over rebuild and turbo!
you can always turbo the 5L later on!

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The thought was to grab a rb30e from the vl. A complete rebuild kit is gonna b 700 including piston, so not too much more to throw in flat top piston and hi compression rings. Then wacky a small turbo on that before I bolt it in.
Not too sure bout the v8 option, had thought bout it and world love the challenge but not really what I'm lookin for out of my 4b

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
I think that's a negative but depends on your driving style, gearing and tyre size.

As said above, you're using a 9:1 comp N/A motor and adding the turbo, not a complete low comp RB30ET right? Post up results
yes it could be a negative, but the loss in down low torque is minimal, compared to the ability to rev it a bit harder....im looking for a power band thats as wide as possible on boost,
with the standard cam the rb30 stops making power at 5grand the rb30e will continue to do it to about 5500, the idea being ill be making significant power from 2000 to 5500 or more giving a nice wide powerband, i also havent dissmissed the idea of a custom or aftermarket cam to attempt to get the best of both worlds.
yes ill be using an N/A motor but with all new internals, the rb30et can be a slug off boost and i am atttempting to get a good compromise between road going abilities and 4wding

1 - 19 of 19 Posts